Belated NGD - 2018 Gibson SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by musicman2242, Jul 13, 2019.

1. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Ok, so I got my 2018 Standard a week ago Friday. I refrained from posting a NGD thread right away, I just wanted to play the guitar for a bit, to allow myself to settle in to it, figure out any quirks and kinda get past the initial honeymoon phase.
    Well, let me say, truly, this guitar is great! It seems like every time I get another Gibson (this is my 3rd in about a year) they just keep getting better and better!
    I traded my 2018 Les Paul Studio for this on Kijiji. It was a very very annoying experience, but at least it worked out in the end lol.
    So far, I'm really enjoying the guitar, the biggest surprise being the neck pickup. It's really open and chimey. It's the first neck pickup that I can say I really like in quite a long time.
    The SG is really neck heavy.. I always play standing up and I have a decent Levy's strap, so it's not an issue for me, but for anyone who doesn't, I can see that being a pain.
    Overall, I couldn't be more happy with it. The only thing I will be changing will be the knobs for a set of silver insert top hats..
    Anyway...PICS!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DanB, Piper68Special, JCarno and 11 others like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats and nice SG !

Have you considered replacing those heavy tuners with lighter weight keystones to reduce any neck dive that may exist?

Some folks in the past have also replaced the tuner keys only for weight reduction.

Silver insert knobs will look awesome on that guitar IMO. Those are the only kind I like on an SG.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Steve D, musicman2242 and arcticsg like this.
  3. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Thanks Cerebral! I don't think I'll replace the tuners.. I don't have any neck dive with a strap and the tuners work really well.
    Silver insert top hats are the best! I really like the witch hat knobs as well, but they are hard to find for Gibson guitars at a decent price.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations, that's a beauty! Happy NGD!

Don't forget the switch tip, poker chip, and washer nut (high flange) to go along with the knobs! ;)

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Fumble fingers, Steve D, JP68 and 2 others like this.
  5. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Haha, that's the plan Artic! Already have the poker chip on knobs and switch tip to follow eventually! I never realized the washer nut was different until you mentioned it What an odd thing for Gibson to change..lol

arcticsg likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Congrats! The 2018 Standards are great.

musicman2242 likes this.
  7. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Nice score! These knobs are good. But IDK why I also love the silver (or gold up to hardware) top hat knobs.

musicman2242 likes this.
  8. arcticsg

I was able to use the stock washer nut on the '17 SG Special. All I had to do was remove one or two of the washers/spacers between the switch and the body. This allowed the threads to protrude far enough through to attach the poker chip and nut on top. Unfortunately the switch already sits flat against the bottom side on '17-'18 Standards and there are no washers or nut to remove.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    musicman2242 likes this.
  9. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Your new SG is a beauty! I love that red. Like a Ferrari.

musicman2242 likes this.
  10. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

I must have one of the later produced ones.. the poker chip was in a little baggie in the case. I was able to get the chip on okay I honestly didn't pay much attention to it, other than trying to make sure it was on straight lol

arcticsg likes this.
  11. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Thanks brazil, red is my favorite color, so it's right up my alley

12. arcticsg

Nice!! :smile:

Dale likes this.
  13. Spuds

Spuds New Member

Just curious about a few things from your post:

I also changed the pot knobs on my 2018 standard to the silver ones. Could you give me an idea of how much space is between the bottom of the knob and the surface of the guitar? I found mine quite a tight fit and they look pretty high. They might just be high and I never thought to look with the stock ones. I can see about two threads just above the nut that holds the pot.

Your switch tip, is it cream or white? I was going to get a switch tip but the only available gibson one I could find was cream. This is what the 61s had, but they also had cream neck binding. I didn't want to use a cream one with the white neck binding.

Lastly, what's this about the washer on the switch?

Dale likes this.
  14. arcticsg

I'm not at home right now, but will check on that knob height when I get back. I believe the black knobs where kind of height to begin with.

The switch tip is a Gibson Toggle Switch Cap in White, not Vintage Amber.

As for the nut, it's what's called a deep or flange Toggle Switch Nut. I have come to learn it will depend on which switch is in your SG. I have been unable to get this one part from Gibson. I'm "guessing" they sourced a brand of switches (Switchcraft) that has less threads. That would explain the reason they dropped the poker chip starting 2017. Just a guess.

Dale and Spuds like this.
  15. Derald

Derald New Member

I removed the PCB on my ‘17 and adjusted the nuts on the pot posts so that w a set of pointers the knob sat nearly flushed on the body maybe 1mm clearing. I like the knobs as close as possible. My PCB had a nut above and below where the pots sit to make this adjustment.

Spuds and musicman2242 like this.
  16. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Good to know, I've noticed that the knobs on mine are quite high as well... I will be making that adjustment next chance I get!

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG, and congratulations on getting a really fine SG.

I too am curious about a couple things, from your experience.

First: I'd like to read your take on the differences between the Les Paul you got rid of
    and the new SG. All of us are aware of the weight difference, and for some of us, the
    tone is VERY different. For myself, the tone seems similar between the two, but not
    identical.

What I'm asking about is: Why'd you trade off your Lester, and how does the SG compare
    now that the other guitar is gone?

How does it feel to play the new one, and how well does it fit in with your music?

Tell us about the amp(s) and signal chain you're going to play the SG into.

If you like the Grover Rotomatics, you can reduce your guitar's neck dive by
    replacing only the knobs. It's easy and not too expensive and can make a
    real difference. Or moving the rear strap button 5 cm higher can also help
    with that. Good luck and great playing...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM
  18. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Hey Col! Thanks for the welcome, I’ve been a member for years, but still appreciate it
    The biggest difference for between the Les Paul and the SG for me is the upper fret access. Yes, I could still hit the notes, but with the SG there is nothing in the way so it’s easier to play those notes and really get behind them for thing like bends, hammer-ons and such.
    My Les Paul had the ultra-modern weight relief, but was still a tad bit too heavy for my liking. My SG, on the other hand, is quite light. No sure the exact weight of either guitar, but it light enough that my hand gets tired and cramped before my back does lol
    The tone to my ears is very different between the two. The Les Paul had a ’57 classic and ’57 classic plus combo whereas the SG has a pair of ‘61’s. The Les Paul was big and punchy, it really had that typical Les Paul growl. The SG is quite a bit brighter than the Les Paul a lot more midrange and the notes are more defined.. If I’m being honest, the ’57 classic/Classic plus combo has been my favorite pickup set for years, but I think the ’61 R/T is better… at least for the SG anyways. The neck pickup is amazing! I can’t remember the last time I actually liked a neck humbucker, but this one in the SG is fantastic. It has a nice roundness and chimes like a bell, I love it!
    I am a MASSIVE AC/DC fan… The majority of what I play is classic / hard /pop rock (AC/DC, Rhino Bucket, Jackyl, Airborne, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, The Cult..) and some heavier stuff as well like Iron Maiden. So for me the SG fits well. I also record a lot of original music. It’s more pop rock than anything, but the SG does everything I need it to for that stuff as well.
    My signal chain is quite simple. Up until a couple of days ago I was playing straight into an Boss ME-50 multi effects unit. I still play though that, but I’ve been tinkering with Amplitube (amp simulator software for those who don’t know) and so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised! I currently don’t have an audio interface to plug into my computer to play direct so I have been recording a direct signal from my guitar into my digital multi track recorder then running that track into Amplitube using, of course, a Marshall type amp sim… It sounds great and will be awesome for recording! I would love to be playing directly into the Amplitube, but I’m completely dirt poor at the moment and can’t afford to pick up an audio interface, unfortunately.
    I have no neck dive issues with a strap, and I always play standing up, so don’t see the need to change anything to do with the tuners.
    Wow... Pretty sure this will be my longest post ever… lol Thanks Col, I love talking gear, it was fun answering all your questions!

DanB likes this.
  19. DanB

DanB Active Member

Congrats on your NGD! Love the guitar! As you can see I share your color preference. IMG_20190502_205010_hdr.jpg IMG_20190502_204905_hdr.jpg

musicman2242 and Fumble fingers like this.
  20. musicman2242

musicman2242 Member

Wow, that's awesome DanB! Love those Norlin SG's!

DanB likes this.