Best Gauge Strings For SG standard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jimmijim, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Thinking maybe a 0.65 or a 0.68 for the low E.

2. 11ztwelve

11ztwelve Active Member

"Do you ever do much note bending on that wound 3rd?".... Some. Not as flexible as a plain but not overly difficult either. But man do they sound right. Hey...Malcolm Young is not wrong!

3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

They sound AWESOME for chords, but I find I can't reall bend it confortably. And since I'm the main lead player in my band, that's a dealbreaker.

I've settled on D'addarios 12-54's (plain G) and D'addario 14-59 Phosphors for acooustic. I tune one step down. Been using them for years!

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Old school jazz sound; but - my ES-175 likes 12's or 11's, and I keep a plain 3rd so I can play jazz and rock on the same guitar.

I do have other archtops with 12's and 13's with wound 3rd's dedicated to jazz, I rarely use them for rock.

You can get that old-style half-step bend on the wound 3rd, even a whole step with effort.

That's why my 175 has plain 3rds.

bwotw likes this.
  5. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

i like the dean markley 11-52's with a wound G. they sound big and beefy and i find the wound G tunes better than a plain one. i don't have any problem bending the G as i am a manual labourer and have fairly strong hands. heck sometimes for effect i bend whole power chords! the SG is just that easy to play! (now if i could only make the stuff i play SOUND good!):)

arcticsg likes this.
  6. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

10's

cigblues

7. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

I like D'addarrio Chromes on my SGs. It's always 10's unless I'm stringing my jazz guitar.

Everyone is saying it's personal preference. I'll bet most people would shutter at the thought of Chromes on an SG.

koaguilds likes this.
  8. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

9s on my fenders and 10s on the gibbs

9. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

I only use D'addarrio 10-46 strings, I find they sound better for longer than Ernie Ball.

10. Newd

Newd Member

12-54 on my classic and 11-52 on my standard 60's open coil tap but will b going to 12's wen I change the bridge pickup and get her set up.

Dean.

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

At standard pitch?

12. Newd

Newd Member

Sorry I lied, 12-52! Yeah standard pitch. Love the feel. I'm pretty heavy handed so bend the strings when playing.

Dean

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I do use 12's (even 13's) w/ a wound 3rd...on my archtops for straight-ahead jazz and swing, and of course on acoustics.

Fo some reason they feel too heavy on my solid body guitars, but that could be just what I'm used to.

Anyway, you must have string hands.

14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

10-13-17-26-36-46 is the usual.

10-13-15-26-32-38 sounds good too and is slinkier feeling.

10-13-15-28-38-49 gives you the slinky feel on the high strings and a nice solid low end.

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Which works great as far as I'm concerned!

16. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I think I'm gonna string all mine now with 15 to 60 and tune them up four intervals and use a violin bow and play odd off key sick melodies. Then see when I get multiple string breakage, warped necks, and can destroy my instruments by being cool and avant-garde. :laugh2::laugh2:

(Disclaimer: The above is all horse manure and intended to be absurdly silly and comedic. If you actually believe it then well.... you need professional help!)

dbb and Biddlin like this.
  17. Roca

Roca Active Member

Bought my guitar used. Stock was 10 no telling what's on there right now. Couple of months I will throw on some new ones.

Biddlin likes this.
  18. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I use 9s mostly on the SGs, EBs and D'addario..

Have a set of Dean Markleys blue steel 9s on at the moment.

[​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  19. Rick Morein

Rick Morein Member

I adapt all of my guitars to my preferred string sets, which are D'Addario EXL110 10-46 Nickle-Wound.

It's just stupid dumb easier to standardize my string buying that way, as I buy string bench packs of 25 on spools in boxes, plus I've found through trial and error that these particular sets of strings, for me at least, are the best I'm going to find for sound, durability, reliability and string life.

I have always been very happy with D'Addario strings...........with them.....you know what you're going to get. Maybe it's just me and I'm lucky with my particular "herd" of guitars, but their "resonance" factors and these D'Addario strings just ring out for me clearly and consistently time after time after time.

If I had a jazz box, sure, I'd most likely use 11's or even 12's depending on the particular guitar.

And I must say that, in my experience, at least, especially since this is an SG forum, that the D'Addario EXL110's sound MAGNIFICENT on my 2015 SGS3.

Your string choice is kind of a big deal when it comes to YOUR tone, isn't it?

arcticsg and Biddlin like this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have .009-.042 NYXLs on my 24.75" scale guitars(Gibson/Epi). To get the same "feel" on my 25.5" scale Strats, I would use .008-.040s.(I'm still using .007-.038 Rev Willy's on my 25.5" scale Strats btw, super light fast action.)