Best P90s for 2018 SG Special

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by El Mike, Mar 20, 2019.

1. El Mike

El Mike New Member

So after a few days of playing my new Special, I compared it to my Hamer Special Jr. I find I like it's tone better so it got me thinking...should I put P90s in it? I have my Hamer wired 50's style with. Bare Knuckles Super Massive P90, 500k vol pot 250k tone pot, bumble bee axial .022 cap. What P90s would you suggest while keeping the current control set up?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Kinman zero hum Nasty 90 Heavy at the bridge position. Stock P-90 at the neck position for cleans. No need to change pots or caps unless defective.

syscokid likes this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Ha ha... You beat me to it. But, I would go further and recommend a set of Kinman's. IMO, these are the best if your willing to pay the price. Note: Double check fit. Kinman P90s have a deeper profile than regular P90s.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'll suggest that you play your new guitar for a longer time before
    you decide to rip it apart. Give it several months IMHO.
    If you got one of the SGs with minis, you shouldn't expect it to sound
    like any other guitar. Expect it to sound unique. There is a lot to
    experience, tonally with the Gibson mini hum buckers. Lots of different
    tones to find and use. That's my experience anyway.

Later if you must install something else, I'll recommend Ken Rose
    Pickups "Eden" P-90s...

https://www.rosepickups.com/new-products/eden-p90

I have a set in my Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro and am totally in
    love with the tone. Ken Rose wired them like a big hum bucker, so
    when I play in the middle position, the guitar is silent. Flip to either
    bridge or Neck and get normal P-90 rawk and Kerang.

Highly recommended.

lawrev and Chubbles like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

I originally planned on installing Kinmans at both the bridge and neck positions, but the neck position cavities were too shallow on my SG Classics and I did not want to remove any wood, so I left the neck position with stock P-90's. The Kinman zero-hum P-90's sound great to my ears and are my favorites over any other type of pickups including mini humbuckers, full-size humbuckers, F-style single coils.

syscokid likes this.
  6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I haven't even gotten my own copy of this same model (Friday, baby!) but one of the things I liked about it was that swapping to a P90 down the road in either position would be easy. I tend to feel the same as Col Mustard, for me I plan to play the guitar for t least six months before I experiment with pickups change outs. I want to have a very very firm understanding of the strength and weaknesses of the sound of the minis and be able to compare those to whatever I experiment with (potentially).

All that said, guitar hackers gotta hack so follow your heart! A thought: I am thinking now that these guitars are probably wired up with that quick connect system, is that right? I can't look but popping off the back panel and looking to see if the pickups come into a little connector rather than solder would clarify it. If so, I guess you'll need to either buy a Gibson branded one with the connector or make / buy sort of adapter wire with the connector on it and solder it to your pickup. Probably worth taking a look at how their wired in so when you know what you want you can buy everything you need.

7. cerebral gasket

All of mine are older models, so no quick connect system. If you have a more recent model with quick connect system, I have seen adapters pre-wired to the connectors for aftermarket pickups.

https://reverb.com/item/1157996-2-q...an-dimarzio-etc-humbuckers-pickups-solderless

8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my own 2018 special finally came in an I popped open the back panel. Quick connect: confirmed.

9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Lindy Fralin are the best P90 I played

[​IMG]

10. El Mike

El Mike New Member

I ordered and received a set of Bare Knuckle Supermassive P90s...went in to install and it is not easy. Pockets are very tight but I made it work. Next wired in the new plugs and...awful noise came out...so....I went and ordered a 59's style complete Mojo tone wiring kit and now.....heaven! I am very happy with the results. The mini hums were just too fizzy sounding through all of my amps...

11. cerebral gasket

Any high frequency fizz in the 3-4 kHz range can easily be removed by applying a low pass filter EQ.