Best value around maybe for LPs Tribute 2017 HP or Studio 2016 HP

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by GrumpyOldDBA, Oct 10, 2018.

1. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

So if you want to pretend you can play like Duane Allman ( dreaming while awake ) you have to have a gold top right?

There are a bunch of used 2016 LP Studio HP and 2017 LP Tribute HP models starting to pop up. The 2017 HP tributes have 57 pickups and titanium etc the soloist neck width they just don't have any of the push pull stuff or dip switching. The 2016 Studio HP have 498/490 pairing but they do have push pull and dip switches internally. Neither has binding of course.

Here's my candidate for best valued LP model. Ditched the robo tuners for locking grovers. It has a removable pick guard which I really like having available "just in case". The 2017 LP HP tributes also have nicer knobs ( I am not a fan of the gold knobs personally but well if you have them you can get used to them ).

E04CF556-8D63-48C0-AA96-CA337E371788.jpeg

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I like that one!

I like the satin finish, and the lack of some Les Paul features that I
    simply don't understand. Like the line that runs down the middle
    of the front of them. This one isn't saddled with that pesky line.

I'm not a fan of Gold Tops either, but I am a fan of Duane Allman.
    He could sound like himself on any guitar I'm sure.
    My previous fave for high value Gibson Les Pauls was the Les Paul Studio faded:
    Les Paul Studio faded.jpg
    Similar idea. Plain and simple like a weapon. No binding, no nibs, no problem.
    Just rock an roll... or just jazz, or whatever kind of music you'd care to play.
    The above model came with Burstbuckers IMHO. Priced about $750 new.
    I'd be sorely tempted if I saw a used one for sale.

My other fave for High Value Les Pauls is the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus.
    http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2013/The-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-GW.aspx

This one's been modded at the Factory with many of the parts we'd install in an
    Epiphone to bring it up to standard: Gibson '57 Classic p'ups, good wiring... Grover tuners...
    Just get it set up and this one gives up nothing in tone and feel... It may not be
    as elegant as its Gibson cousins, but the buyer pays three to ten times more for
    the same thing, but with thousands of dollars worth of "elegance.'

she comes in colors...
    Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Coloris.jpg
    But I'm not a Les Paul guy... so I scoff at the prices others are willing to pay.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...e=electric-guitars&make=gibson&query=les paul

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

HP pack adds the Ti nut, chrome knobs, and Ti saddles? I too like the satin look. I just acquired a 60's Tribute like this one, added a black pickguard for functionality. Its really nice:

[​IMG]

4. GrumpyOldDBA

Yeah yours looks sweet too!

Details on exactly what the HP pack adds differ year by year but for the 2017 Tribute HP it is like you said titanium nut chrome knobs ( or are they aluminum ? ) titanium saddles but higher quality treble/rhythm switch plus of course the dreaded robot tuners.

The tuners are gone from mine now of course. Bagged and stashed away for eternity ha ha.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

Hey question for anyone. This is a satin finish apparently right? Especially the maple top and/or all of it?

Any special cleaners or recommendations for how it should be cleaned off periodically?

Thanks!

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Sometime about 50 years ago, I got into the habit of carrying a soft cotton rag (usually a piece from an old shirt) in every guitar case so I can wipe it off after every use. On the occasions where some "sticky" crud gets on it:
    [​IMG]
    Don't use around open flame. It will not hurt nitro finishes and evaporates very quickly.

7. papagayo

papagayo Member

I played some 2017 Les Paul Tribute, that' s a great guitar nickel hardware and slim taper neck profile.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

lpgtscan.jpg
    One I mocked up about 2 years ago and forgot about.
    LPLE.jpg
    The one I now own.
    lpgtfacesm2.jpg lpgtbksm.jpg
    P90s are aesthetically and sonically suited to this guitar.
    lpgthk.jpg lpgthsbk.jpg
    The slim taper 60s neck is just my cuppa. This '17 Tribute (T) is super.
    I really like the Grover locking tuners. Very easy and quick string changes.

GrumpyOldDBA and papagayo like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

There’s a 50’s tribute on my local cl, but I think it’s overpriced at $775.

But it is really the only Les Paul (gold/p90’s) I would consider buying.

C529103E-CDF3-4004-B2E6-7F40228F8E65.jpeg