Best Vintage sounding P90s?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Atharanic, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Atharanic

Atharanic New Member

I want your opinion on the most genuine vintage sounding P90 I guess.

I wanna reroute my 2008 SG Special for P90s and was wondering which one to put in it. Goin for a Sabbath sound. I think Iommi played a 61 SG Special for the first few (and good) albums. He got custom pickups around the Sabotage album. So he must've used original pickups up to that point. That's what I'm lookin' for.

What P90s is the closest to what he used? Gibson? Lollar? SD? Lindy Fralin? Bare Knuckle? What do you think?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

He played a 1965 SG Special.

http://www.iommi.com/equipment/red-gibson-sg-monkey/

I had a 1963 and 1969 SG Special in the past and honestly I don't care for vintage P-90's. Not a fan of 60 cycle hum and do not like the use of noise gates. I have a couple of SG Classics with Kinman zero-hum P-90's installed at the bridge locations for hi gain use and an LP Junior DC with a Lindy Fralin hum-cancelling P-90 and could not be any happier.

Pickups are only a small part of the overall sound IMO. A "vintage" sound can be dialed in by choosing what type of amp, amp settings, type of speaker, cabinet, mic, mic placement, EQ in the mix, etc. Guitar tracks are often double-tracked to thicken the sound as well. You have to consider all the variables and techniques that are used in the studio to get the sound that you hear on the record.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Atharanic likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What he said.

You can chase your tail for years and spend tons of $$$ trying to emulate someone else tone and never find it. The P90 is a fraction of the chain and not the most important one.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Atharanic

Atharanic New Member

I wanna add a P90 guitar to my "collection", since I have a Les Paul and a Strat. So I thought "why not put some in my SG".

Nevermind the sound thing, I don't want to emulate, it's just a reference base. It's letting you know that I don't plan on playing clean stuff. I heard P90 did the clean tone pretty good. I'm after the growl part on them.

With that in mind, what d'you guys suggest/have opinions on? Overwound? Underwound? etc.

6. DrBGood

I haven't played a P90 that can't bark yet. Some are more testicular than others, but they all can do it.

You know that rerouting a humbucker guitar for P90 can't be done to look clean. You'll still have a gap of the cavity showing. Humbuckers are short and wide, P90s are long and narrow.

DSCF4548.JPG
    Your best bet would be to go for a P94 (humbucker size P90 like pup). Get the Guitar Madness set, dirt cheap and really good. I played them back to back. I kept the GM and sold the Gibson.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-94-Style...3oAAOSwiqBcRJzz:sc:USPSFirstClass!05476!US!-1

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I've been trying to find a particular tone for years that was originally recorded with 60s era P90s. I tried a LP tribute with P90s and an SG Standard with P90s and although they were nice sounding guitars, they were not really close to what I was hoping to hear. Earlier this week I picked up an SG with vintage P90s in it and was amazed at how different they sound vs modern P90s. Buttery thick tone but with a nice bite. I haven't tried any modern P90s besides Gibson's stock pickups so maybe you can get closer to the vintage sound with a different brand. But from my experience, the closest thing to a vintage P90 is a vintage P90.

8. Atharanic

Atharanic New Member

Any good P90s from Guitar Fetish, Bare Knuckle or Stew Macs?
    Really curious about the Darkmoon Nephilim P90s too. Not a cheap option though...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  9. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

Sanford Magnetics make amazing and vintage-y P90s, I have them in my LP Special. Fantastic pickups.

However, you'd have to find them used, as he's not currently making them and appears to have had major problems with late/unfilled orders. But if you see them used, they are killer pickups.

10. 4wight

4wight New Member

I'll second that recommendation - I have a pair in a modded Epiphone SG and I love them.

TubeStack likes this.
  11. DrBGood

I'll too vouch for the Sanford Magnetics. I had the 9022 set and it's by far the best aftermarket P90 that is really bell like. Lots of midrange. But it takes serious dirt to make them bark ugly, they're just too clean. These guys might have a better amp than I.

I dunno about his other models, I would have loved to try them.

I now have Tyson Tone Wraptails 57s in a LP Jr. Those are seriously testicular.

GO listen to this shootout.

cerebral gasket and TubeStack like this.
  12. Retrop

Retrop Member

For P90s? Fralin and Lollar all day long. (And in that order for me since I live right up the road from Lindy Fralin and can walk into his shop.) Have a set of Fralins (Not the noiseless, the regular, although his noiseless P90s are amazing as well) in my LP Special that are just amazing. The Alnico pole neck pickup tone is to die for! These pickups are the epitome of Vintage P-90 tone... just my two cents.

That being said, I would also echo what Cerebral Gasket pointed out. Single coils hum, that's what they do. Vintage tones can be dialed in with other pickups that do not hum. It doesn't bother me with this guitar because I have others but I will also add that I tried an original '68/'69 era Gibson mini-humbucker in the bridge of this guitar and it rocked just as much and had a vintage tone that was every bit as awesome (though different) without the hum. I still go back and forth on which I prefer although for now the P90 is back in the guitar.

FB_IMG_15123530713032.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019