Bill Lawrence HB-L HB-R nickel or chrome covers on 1988 SG-62 reissue?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TheGroke, Nov 22, 2018.

1. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Hi. I just picked up a 1988 SG-62. It's in nice shape, but the electronics have been gutted. Was interested in putting in some HBL HBR pickups. But didn't this model come with nickel (or nickel plated) covers? Every HBL HBR I see on ebay/reverb has chrome covers. Were there ever actually any nickel ones? I'm a bit confused.

And if the 1988 SG-62 did come with nickel variants, can someone please recommend a good nickel cover to replace the stock chrome HBL HBR cover with. Did these pickups follow standard Gibson sizing? Could I just buy a Gibson brand nickel cover, for example? Or is there a better option.

I'm also curious what brand of control pot came stock in this, and what the values were...

Thanks!

2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

IDK. Just play it and don't worry about it would be my guess. Life is just to short to worry about such things. Does it sound good as is? There's your answer. Now go out there and make us proud with your playing................

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

I have the Gibson "The Original" and the covers fit perfectly. They sound quite nice, too.

Tom

4. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Hi Norlin. Well... I don't know yet, since I don't have the pickups yet. And I agree, but I figured, if I'm going to put pickups in, they might as well visually match the rest of the hardware. It's not like I'm modding what's already there. And also... i just got curious as to whether or not these were really nickel, since everything online seems to be chrome.

Tom - you mean that Standard Gibson covers fit perfectly over the "The Original" pickups, correct? So, I could buy a pair of nickel and they'd fit perfectly?

Thanks!

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It would be wise to measure the pole spacing if adding or replacing pickup covers. The pole spacing not only varies between different manufacturers, but also between the neck and bridge position on some sets.

Note the different pole spacing pictured below on a set of 490R / 490T. The screws are closer to the edge of the cover at the bridge position compared to the neck position. I added the covers myself using Gibson brand covers and purchased one for the neck position and one for the bridge position since the pole spacing is different between the two.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    papagayo, Ray and arcticsg like this.
  6. VetPsychWars

That is exactly what I did.

Both are 50mm, in other words "neck width".

Tom

7. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Oh... I had no idea. I assumed that they were the same. I did buy a set, but I don't have them yet. But in the pictures, they seem to have different spacing - like on your pickups. Just saw that Darren Riley has this note:

***if the pole piece spacing on your neck & bridge pickups are identical you need 2 neck position covers — if the spacing is not identical for the 2 pickups you need 1 neck position cover & 1 bridge position cover.

Tom - any chance you could let me know the measurements? Would be great to order the covers before these pickups arrive... Did you use two neck or a neck and bridge?

8. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Great - thanks for the info Tom!

9. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

So, I finally have this guitar in hand, and it includes two (I assume) non-Gibson pickups (I'm still waiting to get my Bill Lawrence ones).

I'm sort of curious what the ones it came with are though. The bottom plates kind of look like what you see on Korean PUs - they have holes in two opposing corners (I guess so they can be used for neck or bridge). There are no markings, though there seems to be an outline from what used to be a round sticker and an oval sticker which were then removed. I've seen some Korean ones with an ROHS sticker and then a name brand sticker that seemed to match this. Can someone verify that these are Korean and absolutely not anything Gibson would have used?

IMG_7153sm.jpg IMG_7177sm.jpg Bodysm.jpg

papagayo likes this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Well, pretty much anything Gibson uses would have some sort of identifying marker on the bottom. Those could be anything.

Official spec for the SG-62 was Nickel hardware.

[​IMG]

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Thanks! It's my first real Gibson (though I also have a 1990 Greco, which is pretty awesome actually). So, far, I like the Gibson. It feels really well made. But I'm still getting used to the wide and thin neck. I think I gotta put 10s on it. It has 11 now. Not working for me with this neck style.

So - would you agree that the hardware on this now is mostly Chrome? Only the ABR-1 bridge and stop bar posts look like nickel to me, but It's kind of hard for me to tell.

The stop bar has bottom markings that would match an old Gibson (line in the middle but not to the edges and not stamped "standard plating" etc.), but it seems a little too shiny for nickel.

The bridge is stamped correctly on the bottom and is dull like I would expect from nickel.

These pickups... I guess just consider them to be some Korean aftermarket thing. But I am still curious if anyone recognizes them. I mean... they sort of sound OK to me. Maybe they are good clones....

13. Rhomco

Rhomco New Member

Cant say what brand those buckers are but check the mounting screw threads. If they are metric they are probably Asian. On the other hand if they are 3-48 Threads they are more likely US made. Good luck on your hunt,
    Rob

14. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I have a 1986 SG62.
    I opted for no covers.

[​IMG]

15. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Now that is nice... I need a '62 RI.

16. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

I think the covers would match the rest of the hardware. Is that nickel or chrome? Personally, I disregard the "just play it" comments because of course I play my guitars all the time, and there are all kinds of good reasons to make changes and fixes on your instruments. For instance, I much prefer covered PUs because they tame the treble a tiny amount -- that I like -- and they reduce interference. Sure, don't get hung up on mods and fixes, but absolutely enjoy the opportunity to do them. Good luck.

17. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

Just got my Bill Lawrence PUs plus some new Gibson nickel covers sent to me from the US (I'm in Sweden - it takes a while). I can report that the HB-L and HB-R have different pole spacing, at least for this set. So, they are not both neck width. But my set measure different resistance (~13 and ~7.5). I've read that some sets measure the same. Perhaps pole spacing varies or is the same dependent on that. No idea...

Also - the standard Gibson covers don't really fit. They are not tall enough.

Can anyone recommend a nickel cover that would have the extra height?

Otherwise, I will just stay with the covers that are on there. BUT this set that I bought has nuts glued on to the brackets in some DIY fashion instead of the 3-48 clip on U-nuts that it is supposed to have. This would have been fine except the screws it came with are bent and the guy used some bizarro size screw. I think it's #2-64. #2-56, I probably could have dealt with. But 2-64??? I mean... it's impossible to get anything that looks correct with that threading. So, now I gotta somehow get all this epoxy or whatever it is off the pickups and then either glue on new 3-48 nuts or get proper U nuts.

Anyone know a source for #3-48 U nuts? The only ones I found are from some place that doesn't deal to the public....

Thanks!

18. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i had an orville by gibson from 1988, one could consider it a jap copy of the '62 reissue.
    it came with the HB-R / HB-L, they were chrome...but the rest of the hardware was nickel.
    so i assume the gibsons would also come with chrome covers.

19. TheGroke

TheGroke New Member

@everdying. Interesting to hear. I've been staring at pictures and trying to compare what I have to what's online. Totally unclear to me what exactly it is that I have or what is even on what other people have. This yellow vs blue hue test doesn't really work for me. The "nickel" gibson covers I just bought look exactly the same to me as the covers that I have on my Bill Lawrence PUs... which I thought were chrome. It seems tricky except in instances where the nickel does the cloud-over thing, which does not always seem to happen. Confused...

Does chrome develop string wear lines, or does only nickel do that?

20. VetPsychWars

Telling chrome and nickel apart is very difficult unless you have two samples next to you and chrome can vary in color a bit.

But when they're next to each other, much easier to tell apart! The nickel looks grey and the chrome looks blue.

Tom