Black Faded Gets A Makeover

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kabrijj, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Or should I say... "Morte" Over?

In 2016, I bought a used 2009 Faded Black SG. Some dings, dents and the usual wear... but still a killer SG!

Before - Overall.jpg

One of the things I was always kinda bugged by with gloss black guitars, is how easily my sweaty fingerprints show up. Not this one! I'd always liked the Faded series, for the price of course, but also the aesthetics.

Before - Body.jpg

But of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I "blacked it out."

After - Body.jpg

Found a black switch & output jack, black hardware, and black powder coated Seymour Duncan 59s.

After - Side.jpg

I found some neat knobs with red accents, and made a black/red/black pickguard from scratch (only to find out a few years later, Stratosphere offers them for $9.99).

After - HS Front.jpg

Also made a custom TRC with leftover material. Cool!

Well, a while back the toggle switch had been giving me issues. As far as I could tell, the majority of all black toggle switches and output jacks were typically the "import" or metric variety, and a bit more cheaply made.

Fast forward to a few months ago: I finally found someplace online that sells a high quality Switchcraft toggle switch with a black barrel! I bought it... and figured what the hell? Let's replace the pots and switch with Switchcraft & CTS too.

(The 59s were out by this point... I had this guitar tuned to C, and wanted something with a little more heft...)

So: a single ply black pickguard, Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups with black covers AND black screw poles, TonePro locking tailpiece & bridge, Switchcraft toggle & output jack, CTS pots, new custom knobs, blank "poker chip" and a bit of solder later...

Later - Overall.jpg

And I've got a guitar that looks... well, a fair bit like the Goth Morte line Gibson did a while back. Not necessarily what I was going for -- and I think mine looks cooler :naughty: -- but I really dig it.

Later - Body.jpg

I dig the look of a poker chip, but since I'm going this far... may as well go all the way and get a blank one.

Granted, I sometimes flip to the Rhythm pickup when I want the Lead pickup since they're not labeled... :lol:

Later - Knobs.jpg

I think I'm most stoked on these knobs. Found a guy on Reverb.com, "JAT Custom Guitar Parts" who makes knobs in almost any color imaginable. I asked if he could make them all black... and he did. BUT!! If you get up real close you can actually see there are still numbers there! Just very, very subtle. So subtle I don't even think you can see 'em in this close up picture. They're there, though. A very neat touch, and I'd recommend JAT's stuff in a heartbeat.

Interestingly, I could not find an output jack with a black barrel (save the metric/import ones). A little touch from a Sharpie paint pen solved that one little sliver of silver.

Later - HS Front.jpg

Also put the original TRC back. Because it's like, you ask "how much more black could it be?"

none-more-black-1726cf7a-7928-4aea-9e0d-5b7c173f114-resize-750.gif

:cheers:

2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Schweet! Back in Black in Black!

3. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Might as well get black strings too

Robert Morris and Kabrijj like this.
  4. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!! :thumb: