Blackstar HT-5R... Speaker replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Chuteboxehero, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I figure someone here might have gone through this already. Just picked up a used but really clean 1st Gen Blackstar HT5R 1x12 combo. Perfect for bedroom volume playing. I'm actually surprised at how good it sounds. The only thing I don't love is the stock Blackbird 12" that came with it. Can anyone recommend a replacement 12" that would sound better? Maybe with better mids and highs. I know it's matter of preference but I think as SG enthusiasts, we all have a similar idea of good tone.

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

A lot of people love the Celestion Vintage 30 in the Blackstar, IIRC. I'm an Eminence guy myself - made in USA, cheaper than Celestion, and very high quality. For more highs and lows, you might look at the Wizard. It's also sensitive enough that it will probably make your HT5 quite a bit louder at full tilt.

You can probably Google "Blackstar HT5R speaker swap forum" and get a lot of suggestions elsewhere, to.

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

More mids and highs...any of these would be an upgrsde... buy used and broken in...

Celestion Creamback, Greenback

Eminence Governor, Private Jack, V1216

WGS ET-65, Veteran 30, Retro 30

4. Chuteboxehero

Thank for the responses. Definitely lots of options. There's a used Orange PPC112 near me that has a Vintage 30 in it and is decently priced so I might grab that and experiment with adding an additional cab and leaving the stock speaker in there.

Clifdawg likes this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Do it!

6. Chuteboxehero

[​IMG]
    Done. What a difference... Love it.

Clifdawg likes this.