BlackStar HT Club 40

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Anyone had any experience with the BlackStar HT Club 40. I am intrigued as it seems to promise a heavily saturated channel for Metal but has a very clean Chanel. Seems to me that cover a very wide range of tone and styles. Does it deliver?

The used market has it very affordable.

Your opinion is welcome.

2. Notabot

Notabot Member

I picked one up for just over $300. I do like the "fender-ish" cleans but I don't play anything in the heavy metal range. IMHO, the master volume is a huge bonus, because it lets me get the OD I like at lower volumes. I've put tungsol el34b power tubes in and biased it on the cool side. Nice tight, powerful gain. For the money, I have no complaints. It scores 0 points with the cork sniffing, boutique amp crowd but I'm totally okay with not being asked to join that club.

Just saw it appears you have a DSL40c, so do I. Until I biased the DSL a bit cooler and put a V30 in it, I was playing the HT40 more. I wound up getting a Fryette PS-2 to be able to hear a cranked DSL at non-deafening levels. I'm playing that now but I may fire up the HT40 for grins just to hear again how it compares.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/vintage-does-not-mean-it-is-vintage.33152/

Yep I got a DSL40C with a Vintage 30.

Which one you like better? Which one would you say covers a wider range of gain.

4. Notabot

Notabot Member

The hottest PUP I have is a 498T in a LP Studio. I ran both amps last night but didn't disconnect the Theile cab from the DSL40. I'll hold my thoughts until I can test. FWIW, The HT40 does put out some nice thunka-thunka at max gain on the lead 2 channel but my comparison is out the window because I left the Theile connected. This is the current setup:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I am one of the worst photographers in the world...

5. Notabot

Notabot Member

The HT40 has tighter, grittier, more defined OD than the DSL with both on Ch 2, max gain , EQ at 12 noon, presence and resonance off and under 100db master volume. Not sure I could EQ or alter bias to get the DSL to be tighter...

As always, YMMV because there are wicked-strange electrons here at my house...

lcw likes this.
  6. lcw

lcw Active Member

Anyone tried the HT40 MKII, and how does it compare with the original? Clean channel now has bass & treble instead of just tone, and it has a power attenuator, for 40w or 4 w operation.

7. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Now I am aware of this new version of the HT 40. I really would like to try one. The added futures are enough to me to star looking in that direction. (Tweakability Redirection).

Thanks for point it out ICW.