Blackstar or Orange?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by TheSandman, May 30, 2020.

1. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Are these good amps?

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Yes. Many models to choose from but both make killer amps. Orange does it's own thing well but maybe not the most versatile amp. BlackStar really depends on which amp you look at.

TheSandman likes this.
  3. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I’m looking for a high gain tube amp, that has enough gain on tap that you won’t even want distortion pedals, but one that isn’t high watts. Something that you can crank the tubes without peeling the paint off the walls if needed.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

5. Chuteboxehero

Orange might be the way to go before BlackStar if you're looking for high gain with a master volume. My BlackStar sounds great clean but the drive channel leaves something to be desired. However with a proper overdrive run into that clean channel, that amp really sounds good. If high gain is the goal, have you considered a Mesa or 5150? Both are pretty much the standard for high gain now a days.

TheSandman likes this.
  6. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

What is a low watt combo amp that either of those make?

7. Chuteboxehero

Well there's the Mini-Rectifier which I think does 20w or 10w. Has a nice gain channel. There's the 5150 MkIII lunchbox version that does 25w or like 12w... Again strong gain channel. But these are mini versions of 100w or 150w stadium shakers. Best bet is to hit up the Google search and see what's out there in your price range that meets you requirements then hop on YouTube and give them a listen especially If you can't play them in person. That's always the best route. But you can at least get an idea of what an amp does via the internet.

TheSandman likes this.
  8. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Blackstar is your vote?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Laney Ironheart :dude:

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/instrument/guitar

ChubbyFingers and TheSandman like this.
  10. DangerousD

DangerousD Member

I'm obviously biased but love the Blackstar 1 watt ministack. I'm in a condo ...great tone and loud enough that I haven't dared turn everything to 11 out of respect for my neighbors.

TheSandman likes this.
  11. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I second DangerousD, the Blackstar HT1RH and matching 1x12 cab is pretty much the ultimate home/recording amp. That 1 watt will get you much louder than you expect; there’s plenty of headroom on tap for home volumes. Plus, it’s dead simple to use and there’s not really a bad sound in it. It’s surprising just how much it sounds like a cranked 50- or 100-watt half-stack, just in a tiny, ear-friendly package.

12. trypeus

trypeus New Member

The Orange micro dark is very good. Tube pre-amp, excellent gain and vintage tones, loud if you want it to be and you can plug in headphones for silent practice. Some places do it with a small orange cab as a package. Worth a look.

fos1 likes this.
  13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

PRS MT 15 fits the equation beautiful soaring clean channel and a high gain monster channel. I have a tubescreamer but rarely used on gain channel just sometimes on clean for bluesy stuff.

Then an orange cabinet maybe?

14. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I've owned a Blackstar HT-20 Mk1 since 2013 and it has served me very well so far. The clean channel is EXTREMELY clean and hard to crank (believe me, I've tried). The dirt channel is very high gain. I only recently got into pedals, but managed just fine without them for all these years.

15. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Marshall Origin 50. Has 3 output settings and a master volume. Goes from nice clean to traditional crunch without any pedals at all.

16. ChubbyFingers

Look at a Vox 30 as well. Those classic Brit bands that don't use Marshall or Laney or Orange frequently use Vox.

17. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Orange Tiny Terror head and any cab you fancy...

Worblehat likes this.
  18. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

It would probably be wayyy too loud for his uses. Speaking as a former owner, even at low power, it still would annoy neighbors in an apartment complex.

19. ChubbyFingers

I've got one.

Although I don't live in an apartment, I do have a wife who won't let me watch F1 on TV because it's "too loud".

I can say on its lowest 5 watt setting its not that loud (or maybe that bug is still in my ear?) and it does have a master volume too. So it can be played reasonably quietly and you'll still get moderate amounts of crunch out of it, especially if you engage the preamp boost footswitch. You won't get its best, for sure, as getting a 12 inch speaker to move still requires a little "oomph".

There are also smaller Marshall Origin 20 and 5 watt models too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  20. ChubbyFingers

PS did I mention when I lived in Scotland the guy in the flat across the hallway from me was (still is) a professional bagpipe player? You want loud???

Piper68Special likes this.