Bleh fuzz ...

Discussion in 'Effects' started by DrBGood, Mar 11, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I just got this "Germanium" fuzz clone and it sounds like ... a blown 2" speaker. Can't get a decent sound out of it.

Good thing it was cheap.

19-03-07 new fuzz.jpg

2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Isn't this what a Fuzz is supposed to sound like?
    :hmm:

But seriously: I think this is a common thing with fuzzes...hard to dial in the sound you want. Also depends very much on the pickups and the amp I guess. Some combinations just don't work. At least this is my experience with my Little Big Muff.

So will you try another one or are you done with Fuzz for now?

DrBGood likes this.
  3. DrBGood

Think I'm done :io:

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Don't write off fuzzes altogether based on possible shortcomings of that little Chinese thing.

You may know all this already, but germanium fuzzes like to be first in the chain right after the guitar and keep them away from pedals with buffers.

I'm assuming that thing is based on a Fuzz Face because it has two knobs. They usually like to be turned all the way up or really close, and then use the guitar's volume to adjust your fuzziness. Many germanium fuzzes will also sound best when run into an amp that's a bit dirty.

It's possible that it hasn't been biased properly as well. Try those things above if you haven't already, and if they don't work look inside for a little trimpot. You use that to adjust the transistor bias and possibly get a better sound out of it.

Chubbles, Worblehat and DrBGood like this.
  5. DrBGood

Thanks, I might do that ... might.

6. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I use a dirty amp, so most fuzz boxes I've tried don't work too well with it. And I MUCH prefer the sound of a crunchy amp or tight distortion pedal to a fuzz. That said, I keep a DOD Carcosa in my board for sustainy leads and weird wah-fuzz tones. But never for rythms, chords sound farty with fuzz to me.

You might like the DOD if you try it sometime. It can do "regular", tight distortion as well as the more velcroy fuzz tone.

7. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Try the Earthquaker Hoof. Excellent fuzz pedal.

ungarn likes this.
  8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Fuzz is my favoutite effect, and there's heaps of different ones out there. Not all will sound good with every amp or guitar.

That G Fuzz is a Fuzz Face circuit and they tend to sound better with single coil pickups. Think of all the famous Fuzz Face users and most of them play Strats. Bonamassa's signature FF is one designed to work better with humbuckers.

If you want vintage germanium fuzz tones but tend to play HB guitars then the many variations of Tone Benders might be a good fit.

Big Muff style pedals, like the EQD Hoof mentioned above, can sound good with any setup, but it's a heavier sound and they don't really respond much to adjustments to the guitar's volume. I have the reissue EHX Russian Muff and it's great.

The DOD Carcosa is a pedal I own too and it's a very versatile silicon fuzz that can go from fairly mild to extreme and can work well with most setups.

Before you give up on fuzz let us know what sounds you're trying to achieve and what sort of gear you're pairing it with. Maybe we can offer suggestions to help you get what you want. Or try out some of these links,

https://enmoreaudio.com/an-idiots-guide-to-choosing-the-right-fuzz/

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...ners-and-skeptics-guide-to-fuzz-pedals?page=1

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  9. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

This might whet your appetite to stick with fuzz. These guys talk lots but get some great sounds out of gear too...they have many fuzz videos, but this one is their sort of intro to fuzz

plankton likes this.
  10. DrBGood

Thanks for all the imput guys ! I appreciate it.

To be honest, I have to say a fuzz was never on my list of pedals to own. A used Tom's Line came up locally, so I figured I could try a fuzz for bread crums. I couldn't lose much in doing so. It got sold before I could get at it. So, I bought a new one for not much more, not expecting anything revealing. It didn't do anything for me, I mean ... nothing. I don't feel I need to experiment more with any fuzz. I guess I like my sound waves to be rounder than the square ones from a fuzz.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    83 Blazer likes this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I tried a bunch of fuzzes to see what they were about, all of them terrible sounding pedals. I guess I'm no fuzz guy.

DrBGood likes this.
  12. alligatorbling

alligatorbling Active Member

fuzz is meant to be lo-fi... 99% of them anyways.

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Skip to 6:15
    The segment with the Fuzz Face.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    PixMix likes this.
  14. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

There's some great advice here. With fuzzes, it's a chemistry thing. Try them out first if you can. A right fuzz can sound awesome, the wrong one can sound awful. One of my early experiments was a Joyo Octave Fuzz. Yuck. Maybe it was my gear. I am not a boutique pedal guy, but I stay away from cheap fuzzes: and I'm addicted to fuzz pedals.

15. DrBGood

You can say that again.
    Did I miss something, :facepalm: apart from the mention of the word Fuzz Face and a 2 second image of it ?

16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny when he was asked, "Are you using the Fuzz Face?" and he replied, "No, I just like the way it looks.".

plankton, Worblehat and DrBGood like this.
  17. ungarn

ungarn Member

Set amp cleaner, and higher volume.
    Max out fuzz volume and gain/fuzz.
    Turn guitar volume down from 10 max to about 7 or 8.
    Rock.

18. Worblehat

If you want a fuzz pedal mainly for its look...here are some suggestions :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  19. DrBGood

Anybody watched to the end ? After 10 seconds, I turned it off, like a fuzz ... :smile:

Layne Matz likes this.
  20. Worblehat