Bleh fuzz ...

Discussion in 'Effects' started by DrBGood, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Every once in a blue moon, I hear fuzz used in a song to great effect. I'm especially drawn to the tones I hear from Rabea Massad's work with Toska, but even then, he manages to get a surprisingly clear, hi-fi sound out of them... I can't stand them. I'm more of a crunch/overdrive guy, but then again, I'm a rhythm player. I think I might like it more if I played lead and wanted some of those long, singing fuzz lines.

DrBGood likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I love the sound of fuzzes, doesn't work for most of the music I play, but absolutely love the sound of them.

Writing something off after just trying out one variation of it doesn't really make much sense to me, and this is even more true for fuzzes, so many different kinds with vastly different characters.

The difference between some types of fuzz can be almost as if they were entirely different types of effects.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Gawd I remember when I was maybe 15, thinking it might be cool to make a fuzz box out of an old Panasonic tape recorder (the kind with the little orange record button set into the play button). I used two 1/4 reducing jacks for plugins and that was horrendous lol.

It did make a nice sound but there was absolutely no control with it. Either full on or full off, that was the choice, but the feedback was nasty.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I realized I have a fuzz effect on my Vox AD60VT. IT gives me a decent Billy Gibbons growl. I'll live with that.

5. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Fuzz pedals are really weird to use. There are tons of fuzz pedals, some of them are so-called "boutique" and they are very expensive. They are different than overdrive pedals. This point pushed me hard to understand the fuzz pedals.

I also had a Chinese DIY (Ox something like that) fuzz. It was something like the 60's era fuzzes. If you use it depend on the break-up level of the amp, it sounded very good. Iommi SG+Ox Fuzz+ Jet City amp, I caught Hendrix sound. When I tried to use like an od pedal over the clean amp, then I've got Led Zeppelin No Quarter type weird sounds. Simple fuzzes like to work with tube amps. As far as I can see, some new fuzz circuits are including a tube amp modeling plus fuzz components. This kind of fuzzes can use with over clean sounds. Me? I don't mess with fuzzes anymore. These days, I just have a Chinese od/fuzz hybrid pedal (I think 70% od, just %30 percent fuzz) sometimes to get Gilmourish sounds. Most of the fuzzes I see don't like modeling amps btw.

DrBGood likes this.
  6. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

The only fuzz that has ever worked for me is the DOD carcosa. I always return every I've tried to the dreaded guitar center.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The Carcosa is a great pedal. I've played around with a decent few fuzzes and I've found I prefer the more versatile ones. Vintage fuzz circuits often only do one thing well.

8. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

You're right about that. One trick ponies.