blues and rock guitarist user group

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by 1Way, Feb 20, 2006.

1. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=6896.msg93723#msg93723 date=1142644754]
    ...my left hand finger tips are starting to turn dark after playing, which I can only assume comes from the dark rosewood fretboard somehow. I feel good about music, and which makes me feel even better about practicing too. Music is cool, and guitars rock solid. I'm really glad to be part of it again.

[/quote]

and thats what its all about.. O0

2. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

Hey, good to hear things are looking up for you, 1Way. O0

3. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Thanks! Much appreciated. The car is working out good. The landlord is finally getting some rent. But I'm still waiting to find out when the unemployment checks start coming in. My back and neck is doing better after I recently purchased a shiatsu back massager that fits on most any chair. I’m not without pain and mobility struggles, but that has to be the best money I have spent towards the health of my back. Very recommendable!

As a brief promo, I’m seriously looking at creating some videos of me playing guitar, which should be entertaining on perhaps several but not professional levels. LOL. I hope it will break the ice and help people get to know me better, and maybe even want to get more involved at BARGUG. I’m going to be asking everyone who wants to share their sound and video guitar playing as well.

The forum itself has been running great. But very few people have been posting. Not to worry though, such things may be expected with a small startup project like this, and I have been strapped putting out some fires in my life, otherwise I’d be diving head first into growing as a guitarist. One doable step at a time. ;)

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

BARGUG update. Fortunately the forum has been picking up some the last few days, but for the last few weeks it's been really quiet, and I've been busy trying to figure out how to best finish up my guitar rig upgrades. I still need:

- some tone control caps (Any suggestions for the best caps that cost less than 10 bucks a pop?)
    - a set of power tubes (preamp if I can afford them)
    - maybe some vol/treble caps too
    - a 2x12 closed back cab
    - fab a special angled shim (hardwood) to install the Bigsby B5 at an angle to both increase the downbar range which it desperately needs, and decreases the string break angle going over the Wilkinson roller bridge.

I also need to clear out an entire room and install a poor man's sound room, both are no small task that I “hope” will go quickly. After that is completed, I will begin digitally taping stuff, like my guitar upgrades and playing samples for show and tell, and a few laughs. ;)

My drummer friend recently told me that our local blues spot which is friendly toward startup talent is expanding hours (upstairs) to allow more people to try out performing live. I hope my next job does not interfere with my musical aspirations.

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Well, nothing has been happening at BARGUG for a long time now. So I guess that project is done, although I may keep it up for shoots and giggles.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated or was in anyway supportive. I really appreciate it. I still have the same mindset to grow as a guitarist, so I am sorry the forum did not work out. If you can get ahold of a videocam/webcam/audio recorder whatever, I strongly suggest doing some recording and share it and see if it might help you become a better guitarist. When I'm around so many pro's, I sorta freeze at the thought of them hearing me play something less than impressive, and I figured some of you might feel similarly. If there is more interest at some point I might try such a forum again, but for now, it seems like it's ran it's course.

Here's a link to some videos I've done. I'd like some feedback on them, but mostly they are a way of breaking the ice and sort of documenting the state of my playing skills prior to becoming a serious guitar student again.

CLICK HERE

8)

6. aisuru

aisuru Member

noooooo! don't give up! i've been busy watching the World Cup for the past month or so, so i've been less active, but the fitbaw ends on sunday. i hope to get something posted soon... one more try!

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Wow, Aisuru and Capt Circle-jack have what looks like an updated website and are shaking things up! Ok, ok, stirred, not shaken.

HK-D their band that has a genre-less slant. They released two albums and are currently working on another studio effort!!! They really do sound "different", but that's all part of the appeal.

Aisuru, the only problem I had with your website, was finding the sound samples. After clicking on the flash version, I got lucky and clicked on one of the blue balls on top and for some unexpressed reason, it just happened to decide to open up some sort of music player. After that it was easy to deal with.

Is that different or what? I request more sound and graphic samples. Something of the band would be awesome! I'm quite impressed aisure, your out there doing what you want to do in music. BTW, I saw Six String playing at a coffee house just last Saturday evening. I saw the entire show, and Six and I chatted just about as long after the show, as the entire show lasted! Six is a seriously cool guitar bud! O0

And I'm so not kidding about bragging on him/them like I'm about to do. It was an all acoustic guitar night. I just LOVE their first two songs!!! I have a great respect for singing musicians, they do way more work that just a guitarist for example. Six sings and tends to sing and play the lower parts, and his partner the higher stuff so they fill out the sound very well. You should see Six's strings, we affectionately call em, telephone cables!!! He can really fill out the rhythm section while his partner is expert at leadwork.

Thanks aisuru for the posts of late at BARGUG. Maybe there's life at BARGUG after all... ;)
    8)

8. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=6896.msg108018#msg108018 date=1148128009]

- some tone control caps (Any suggestions for the best caps that cost less than 10 bucks a pop?)
    - a set of power tubes (preamp if I can afford them)
    - maybe some vol/treble caps too
    - a 2x12 closed back cab
    - fab a special angled shim (hardwood) to install the Bigsby B5 at an angle to both increase the downbar range which it desperately needs, and decreases the string break angle going over the Wilkinson roller bridge.
    [/quote]

Well for the preamp, id go with some JJ's , the power tubes are pretty good too. but sometimes you get a rattly set from them.
    Id stay away from the closed back, and keep with the open back if your lookin for a bluesy sound.. But it's more the amp then anything

9. aisuru

aisuru Member

hey 1Way, thanks for visiting the site, glad you liked it! yea, sorry about the Flash version being perhaps a little abstract in it's navigation, but at least you got it in the end O0

also, BARGUG is not dead! i posted a video over there this afternoon in fact.

10. 1Way

1Way Active Member

:evil: JAZZ!!!!!!!??? :roughup:

It's ok aisuru, there's plenty of room for all types of music styles. I almost like some forms of Jazz even. ;D ;D ;D

Keep up the good work!

11. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

.... Jazz was never in my heart....... sorry.......... :coolsmiley:

12. aisuru

aisuru Member

:lol:

c'mon, jazz evolved from the blues! blue-note is practically just blues but with more random key and timing changes 8)

13. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

At an early age I was exposed to some of that jazz where everybody is doing something differant.... to the point it sounded like they weren't even playing the same song.... and I guess I just couldn't follow it. Never clicked in my head. Lord knows I've tried..... no luck. :roll:

14. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=aisuru link=topic=6896.msg123218#msg123218 date=1153389986]
    :lol:

[size=10pt]c'mon, jazz evolved from the blues! blue-note is practically just blues but with more random key and timing changes[/size] 8)
    [/quote]

Just MORE random key and timing changes you say!!! I see absolutely NO meaningless key and timing changes in anything blues or rock. Even if you get an exception to the rule with an occasional Jazz influence, it's an exception, and that's fine with me.

I was born a poor black child
    This reminds me of Steve Martin in that movie where he was reported as being "born a poor black child"... The blacks got rhythm and soul, but poor Steve Martin just couldn't get the beat "right" to save his life. So Jazz came from blues hu. Is that somehow supposed to be good for Jazz? It's almost like Jazz is in direct rebellion against the blues, against all harmony in tone and timing. It's a general (yet artistic) affront against reason and meaning.

Can you tell I prefer meaningful and harmonious communications over chaos? I can dig harmony and rhythm changes if it "fits the mood" of the song, but if key/harmony changes are the rule instead of the exception, then the rule becomes conflicting and irrational. We don't stick to rules for key and rhythm changes, thus worshiping a rule in order to go against rules.

The thing I respect about Jazz guitarists is that they tend to have a high view on tone quality.

15. Wags

Wags New Member

huh.... :-\

16. aisuru

aisuru Member

well, not all jazz is free jazz. and even the free jazz has some basis which stays constant. nothing's really meaningless in jazz though, it's improvised, but it comes from the heart perhaps more than the head in some cases. freeform jazz has parallels in the rock world of course - Jam bands like the Allman brothers are essentially doing a form of jazz, but in a rock style.

17. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Saying that some Jazz is more or less random in nature, changes little in my book. At the heart of Jazz is random key and tempo changes. If you don't do that at all, then you aren't listening to Jazz. Right? I like some Jazz players, especially when they sound like they are not playing Jazz.
    ;D
    Rules governing randomness is a contradiction in terms. Then again, without enough random changes, you don't have Jazz, so the rule for randomness seem very central to Jazz. But maybe I am missing out on what Jazz is all about. Like blues, sometimes you need a friendly host to show others the way. ;)

BTW, I think I may do a Day Tripper sample and see how you like it. I do it slightly different at the end of the descending run. But I could be wrong about it...
    :roll:
    Stick with what turns you on! Don't let a differing view stop your creativity. Looking forward to more video samples.

18. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I think blues came from jazz.. It's the other way around.
    If you listen to alot of early jazz records from the turn of the century. They sound nothing like modern jazz. Infact alot of those old movies scores are jazz. And you would never know it. Just listen to django, slow him down 20 notches... And you have some nice blues riffs.

19. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

i'll join..... sorry im late. what do i do?

20. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Randyrhoadslives13
    Ok, but things have been really slow lately, you might want to check in then watch for things to pick up (although no promises). In any case, at the bottom of my post is my signature line which has the link to the forum. Once you get there, you can register which is pretty easy if you have (1) an email account and (2) can come up with a username and password. Don't forget to activate your account, you need to respond to the email that is automatically generated (standard issue stuff). Let me know if you have problems, questions or suggestions. I'll be glad to try to help.

Fair warning
    It's a ghost town right now, especially compared to here, so don't expect much right away. ;D It would be nice if things picked up again. It had virtually no action for the last several months. But I think most of it's members would become active again if it was busier or they had more time for it. That's why I'm not big on shutting it down so soon.

And really, this forum is a blast and has much to offer, I encourage all BARGUG members to remain active here. I have a strong desire to grow as a guitarist, and so I wanted a place just for that focus... I just hope that I don't get stuck in an over the road truck driving job where I must be gone all the time (I'm currently unemployed).

Either way, the forum can run nicely without much admin oversight. Although I see some things need attention that I haven't gotten to yet. The emoticons seem to be gone for some unknown reason.