Blues Cube Hot 30w vs Blues junior iv

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Robert Morris, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

I think I have it down to these 2 amps. It will be used for garage jams and the occasional open mic. I want great tube tones and was really ready to get the BJ iv tweed ($675), but then I saw the Blues Cube 30w ($499) and was impressed with a utube comparison between the two but it was a BJ III. I am going to play both before I buy but just wanted some input from more experienced players. I’m not a beginner, just don’t gig anymore. Classic and hard rock and blues mostly. Thanks

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Roland has just released the Nextone Stage for the same price as the Blues Cube 30, you might check that out. Largely uses the same tech, just far more versatile. That said, I'm not really a fan of either. I'm a huge fan of solid state and don't think it's any worse than tube amplification, but there's clearly something missing from the top end of Roland's SS offerings. The Katana series has the same problem, but is roughly half the price, and sounds equally good to me.

I haven't tried the new Blues Jr. IV, but I've always kinda felt like the Blues Jr. was "just an amp," so to speak... Not much exciting about it. Good cleans, but overdrive is meh. Personally, I find the 10" Pro Jr. amp to be far more interesting, with a tighter, punchier sound. Also, don't forget the Bassbreaker 15 - yes, it does heavy Marshall grind, but it also does clean and bluesy OD very, very well thanks to it's multiple gain stages accessible by the "structure" knob.

All that said, if you really like the sound of the Blues Cube or Blues Jr., you really can't go wrong... Both are solid amps from reputable manufacturers.

3. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I went through the same process a year ago. I spent a couple of days trying out the Blues Cube, Katana, Blues Jr, and Pro Jr. I wanted a lightweight amp that I could use for small venues. The best of the bunch to my ear was the Pro Jr IV. I ended up buying a used Pro Jr III and swapping the speaker for a Jensen P10R which is the same speaker that is in the IV. I still like the IV better because it has a different taper on the volume pot but the used III was cheaper even with the speaker swap and the tone is very close.

Col Mustard, ungarn and DrBGood like this.
  4. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

GC has the ‘Boss Drive Special ‘ version of the Blues Cube Hot and it’s supposed to be voiced like some classic Marshall KT66 or something. I really wanted the classic Fender cleans for a pedal platform. Not worried about the drive so much on the fender.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

6. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That's a copy of the Laney Cub12R, which is an amp I own. If it sounds like the Laney then it's a great little amp in the Marshall/Hiwatt realm.

If you're after a clean pedal platform I would not recommend the Laney or it's clone. There's not much clean headroom at all. It is an amp that takes pedals well and the overdrive it produces itself is fantastic.

The Nextone that was mentioned above is another amp I own. It's a really good sounding two channel SS amp which allows you to customize each channel. I have one setup as a 6V6 Tweed style amp and the other doing the EL34 Plexi thing. It would be easy to set it up with one channel doing the classic Fender 6L6 clean thing and you could have the other channel as another clean emulation and have two separate platforms for pedals.

Whatever you're thinking of doing, go and try them out first, or order from a place with a good return policy.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The small tube amp option is pretty much a one trick pony, if you don't possess a good pedal board to put in front of it. That pedal board will take some time to be tweaked to suit that particular amp. By tweaking, I mean a lot of trial and error in buying/selling. It then defeats the price point of that amp. But, if THAT one pony fits your tone, then it's a bullseye !

That's why I like my Super Champ XD. Someone did the work beforehand.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Between those two, go with Blues Jr. Can usually find used for $375 to $400. Have not been impressed with Blues Cube Hot or Nextone when played briefly at Guitar Center. If interested in that save serious cash and vet a Katana... close enough. I agree above, always thought the Pro Jr sounded better than Blues Jr, a d a monster with P90 SG's!

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Blues Jr, and also of the Pro Junior, which only lacks
    the great Fender reverb unit. But that doesn't seem much of a problem
    to me now because I'm so enamored of my TC electronics "Hall of Fame"
    Reverb pedal.

The Pro Junior is smaller and lighter and is all you need for small rooms,
    unless you have a loud drummer. It sounds great with a Telecaster, I
    can tell you that. Very useful IMHO.

I have a Roland Cube Bass 60 watt amp that I love also, so I can't help
    you choose, really. My Cube Bass amp does everything I need. It's perfect
    for small venues, and when we play outside or in a bigger stage, it has
    an XLR out so the signal can go to the mixing board. Plug it into the mains
    and it sounds HUGE. Very useful. It's a modeling amp, and there are lots
    of tones on the Cube that I'll never use, but the two that I like, I like a LOT.

I never worry about distorting tubes... It's just not in my style, and I never
    play loud enough to distort even the Blues Jr. I use my Blues Driver pedal
    to get that tone at MUCH lower decibel levels, and that does everything I
    need as well.

11. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I haven't plugged into a Blues Jr. In... I don't know how long. I wasn't impressed with the version 2 or 3 model I tried a long while back, but I've heard the 4 is a huge improvement, especially with the volume taper and the speaker. Congrats, now I want to go find one to plug into just for kicks.

I've tried the Pro Jr. IV and that's a kickin' amp. I've thought about saving up for one down the road.

12. Utrecht74

Utrecht74 Member