Blurred Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Didds, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Often when I see people post pictures of their guitar where the serial number would be visible, they blur out the number. Is there any particular reason why people do this? I can't really think of why you'd feel the need to hide it

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That way I can't claim that this guitar has been stolen from me. I have proof because I remember my serial number.

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I guess if your guitar was worth a whole bunch of money based on serial number potentially that might make one leery of too much public attention to it being in your "house" etc. I have no idea what that threshold might be ...

But the whole idea of not revealing too much online makes sense in general to me.

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no reason to do it. People do it because they've seen other people do it, so they think it's a sensible thing to do, without actually thinking about why. But copying other people isn't a reason, just an explanation.

Apart from copying what other people have done, I guess you could say anxiety is the reason to do it - someone feels anxious about letting others see the serial number, but don't have a rational reason to feel that way. Nonetheless they act on the anxiety. But, of course, that's not a 'reason', just an behaviour driven by an emotion.

Didds and GrumpyOldDBA like this.