Body damage options

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Clarence001, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Clarence001

Clarence001 New Member

Hi All,
    I purchased a used '01 SGjr that I'm in the process of fixing up. The previous owner did a job on the body, it looks like someone tried to hammer the tone pot from the back towards the front and the bodywork broke (surprise!). Not sure if this is what actually happened but the result is a rectangle shaped piece that is cracked on long ends and towards the base of the body, with one small edge hanging on by the volume pot. The cracks go through and are visible on the underside, but it's all been glued. The attached picture shows the damage.

I have a few questions...

What are repair options for this?
    Any ideas on costs depending on option?
    Is there something I can do (hobbyist) or is this something a pro should handle?

The guitar plays fine and I'm not super bothered by the damage. My biggest concern is that the crack itself is exposed raw wood, and I feel like it should be sealed.

Outside of a full blown body job, is there a smaller option of sealing the crack, and can this be done by me?

One thing I was thinking of was something like a pick guard but in the area of the pots. Downside is I'm unsure there are enough threads on the pots for something like that to work.

And lastly, I was reading about someone who applied polish to the finish that was exposed due to damage (similar to my guitar) and the polish did further damage in that area. Does anyone have experience with this, and if yes is there an option or workaround?

If anyone has any ideas or dealt with stuff like this, please let me know. I'm currently leaning towards doing as little as possible, but I do want to prevent further damage and do right by the guitar.

Thanks!

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's a real head scratcher why someone would hammer a pot from underneath.

Usually it's the area around the output jack that gets blown out. Someone fails to use a cable with right angle connector. They leave the cable with a straight connector plugged into the output jack while the guitar is resting on a floor stand at which point some drunkard backs into it stepping on the connector.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Clarence001 likes this.
  3. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I would leave it alone if the area of damage is structurally sound. If it feels like it's not stable (the cracked piece moves when pressed down), you could always brush some thinned down Titebond 2 from the inside (control cavity), using a small round brush. You could mask the surrounding area to avoid making a mess, leaving exposed only the cracks that need to be glued.

If it totally bothers you and you want it gone, get it to a good repair shop and have them take care of it. A good repairman can fix that without refinishing the whole top.

Clarence001 likes this.
  4. Clarence001

Clarence001 New Member

Unfortunately sounds like the voice of experience. Hopefully just a warning...

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Could the best option be super glue/epoxy drop filling with some grain lines and pigment touch ups?

Anything else would seem to need a wood plug which would be far more obvious.