Books/websites on guitar wiring and other electronics?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by RollnROCK89, Jan 2, 2005.

1. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

Hey, I've always wanted to be able to work on the insides of my guitar (wiring and such) but I always find online mod instructions too complicated for me to understand. Are there any good books that fully explain how a guitar's wiring works starting from the very basics? Eventually I would like to learn to completely wire a guitar from scratch. Any good books/websites on this subject?
    I know how to solder, but thats about it.
    Thanks.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG RollnROCK89!

You've got some of the best guys here that can help you. Either with the information you need or certainly where to find it. I have seen many diagrams on wiring passed around so if you have a question... specific.... then ask away and someone should be along to answer it.

4. Six String

See... CB already beat me to it..... :lol:

5. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

www.guitarnuts.com is a very good resource and smart peeps on the forums. there's also really good info on how to shield your guitar and make it as hum-free as possible. It's called "quieting the beast".

oh yeah.. of course there's "guitar electronics for musicians", a very in depth book by (?) with all the wiring diagrams for strats, sg's, lp's, etc. and everything you need to know to decode them.

the "guitar player repair guide" by Dan Erlwine is hands-down the best book to get you into general fix-up stuff and has a good, simple electronics section.

that should tide you over for a while!

6. dcooper

dcooper Member

A good simple book is "Guitar Electronics for Musicians" by Donald Brosnac

7. Six String

See RnR89... is that quick or what... It's probly enough reading material to last you for a long constitution... :lol:

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Welcome rollnrock!

9. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

Thanks guys, I think I gonna start with that book, guitar electronics for musicians, ive got a barnes and noble gift card lying around somewhere, so hopefully that will be a good start.
    That guitarnuts looks like a good site, I'd love to be able to do some of those mods, but some look rather involved (for my current knowledge of electronics, which is very limited) I'll check it out more in depth after reading through the book.
    thanks for the welcome.

10. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

Some of the guitarnuts mods are pretty hefty. But you don't have to do anything that complicated. I usually make something that's a combination of one of those designs and whatever instrument I'm fitting it into at the moment. They've given me good ideas with respect to pickup wiring (series/parallel) and push/pull pots.

Good luck, Rn'R

11. dcooper

dcooper Member

sorry Max, I didn't see your post of the book, I need to learn how to read. :oops: