Bought one, if not one of the newest 2019's SG's in Seattle area.. let me tell ya ..

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by xscottx9, May 8, 2019.

1. xscottx9

xscottx9 New Member

UPDATE: !!

Loving this SG, has a sweet tone .. The fat neck is harder to get used to than I thought .. i still think in my head its a fat neck while playing, .. and until I forgot about the size of the neck in my hand, im truly not playing. damn ocd.

Has anyone else had a hard time on a Big neck? How long does it take to get used to? I play fine, but I do some thumb over stuff, and well .. the thumb over is stretching me to my limits.

pancake81 likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Electrons don’t care.
    Resistance is futile.

[​IMG]

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

No.:smile:

4. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I've found that a neck that is too big to do thumb-overs is never going to be adapted to. Not all tunes require that though so given how much you like this SG, keep it and use another axe when needed.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Never is a long time. BTW I've never seen a nek that big and I have medium sized hands.

6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Yeah i have medium sized male hands and find that any of the gibsons neck work fine.

Big fan of the new slightly wider soloists neck width.

Biddlin and arcticsg like this.
  7. poppunk

poppunk Member

Except for some internet posters out there. Apparently they play at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies and have to worry about transmission line issues.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I have small hands with some CTS and arthritis type stuff. I move from a thin SG and Jag neck to a "boat-tail" Warmoth size. I find the larger necks actually tend to be easier on my joints.

9. shatti

shatti New Member

i have a 2019 standard and it fits my hands better than the slim 2017 standard
    the only draw back that it has no grover tuners like the 2017
    both competing to be my num 1 guitar, time will tell :p

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Both years come with Grover tuners, just one is locking and the other is not.

2017 Standard uses Grover Locking
    2019 Standard uses Grover Rotomatics

Should be a strait across swap. ;)

shatti, koaguilds and cerebral gasket like this.
  11. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

I’m new here too as I just got an Ebony SG Standard that was built in early August (2019). I Love the guitar until my hands get closer to the 12th fret. I am a bid guy with pretty big hands but it feels so massive compared to my LP with the asymmetrical slim taper and even my two Gibson acoustics that have pretty thin necks.

Mine is .96 at the 12th and I think about .82 at the first. It’s how thick it feels all the way around that is hard to get used to. That fat pet of the neck seems to negate the idea of great fret board access with the body shape. Down closer to the first fret it is fine and I think the slightly bigger feel may actually help some with chording. I just can’t play down around 10-12 without thinking that it’s a big piece of wood to move around.

What is the positive that I am missing about having something that big around the 12th fret? Debating if I should have gotten the 61 and swapped out pickups. I already swapped out the 490T for a 498T because I wanted something a little hotter with this guitar.

Thoughts???

12. arcticsg

Congratulations, and welcome to the board! :smile:

Sounds like you have one of the new "Modern" SG Standards with the round neck profile. That round profile is definitely beefier than your les paul. I haven't tried that one yet, and not sure how it compares to the other round necks, like the 2016 Standard and older batwing models. Although I generally lean towards a thinner neck profile, I regularly switch favorites between the earlier round and the slim-taper of the '61 reissues.

Nice move on the 490/498T swap. That would have been my preference as well.

Oh, and let's see some pics of that beauty! :D

13. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

73799C95-698C-4E4B-8AC1-929152F9FB6F.jpeg Here you go. In the back of my mind I keep debating if I should cut my losses and sell it and go with a thinner / more normal neck. Everyone that I grabbed at GC after I bought this felt so much thinner and close to my LP. I know it’s only an extra 10th of an inch but the shape magnified it.

Here it is, though, it’s fantastic looking!
    Mike

Franktone and arcticsg like this.
  14. arcticsg

NICE! She is purdy.. :smile:

If you're not happy with it, that would be the best thing to do, have you had it very long? Put the original pickups back in it and swap it for the earlier released 2019 SG Standard with the thin-Taper neck. Or if you like the Standard '61 (the '61 pups are pretty good) throw in $300 and get one. It even comes with the hard case, a $200 value.

Also, if you look around, there are still brand new 2018s to be had for $1000 or less (retailed for $1,539 when released). They have the same neck tenon as the 2019 or Modern SG Standard but with the slim-Taper neck, '61R/'61T pups, grover locking tuners, and a hard case! ;)

koaguilds likes this.
  15. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I like fat necks, but the one on a 1970 SG Junior I had was ridiculous and I ended up getting rid of it. I actually bought it because of how thick it was, but after a while the novelty wore off.

[​IMG]

The 0.818 - 0.963 range of thickness is my favorite. Not too thick, not too thin. My '58 Reissue LP Junior DC has a fairly thick neck and makes all my SG feel like they have Slim Taper necks which they do not.

I don't mind them all being slightly different and adapt right away. I just don't care for Slim Taper that are flat on the backside.

koaguilds and arcticsg like this.
  16. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

Holy crap that is huge! Mine is about .82/.96 as well. It’s only been a couple of weeks and i’m generally playing fine with it I just always feel this bigger shape in my hand around 10-12th frets which I keep thinking aboutl, and it feels like I won’t navigate the board as fast. I wonder if the builders thought that this thick sounded best on that guitar so they stopped there, or if they came back from lunch And forgot to keep slimming it down (haha).

17. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I always bought slim taper necks. I had a few, played them well, and just got in the habit of seeking out SG’s with slim taper. It became a specification standard for me to purchase.

Then One day back in 2007 I saw a GOTW, the SG Classic Custom. WOW, what a beauty! I bought it online site unseen when my local music stores couldn’t locate one doe to limited production numbers. It showed up at my house, and what a looker. Instant love with it aesthetically.

Picked it up in awe to strum and few chords and couldn’t believe what I felt. A thick neck! BLASPHEMY!!. It was different for sure, but to be honest it played great.

After all these years it still feels different. But it feels right, and it plays great. Honestly I play as well on that guitar as my others, it just feels different. It has advantages as well. Going to those C and F chords are easy peasy with those wide necks, those are a struggle on my Angus Young necks with my hands.

Stick with it for a bit, I bet you love it

arcticsg likes this.
  18. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

Update: I sold it. The fully round neck just felt awful too me and made my hand sore....it just wasn’t going to happen. I took a loss but actually think I got a fair price for mine on the sale to a shop that does work for me.

And I bought one. Before I bought this one I played one at a GC that I liked a lot and went back. Long story short, I now realize the one I like was the original 2019 Standard that had white binding and the slim taper neck that was released in 2H 18. I found one that I liked elsewhere and got a good deal and bought that. My only hesitation is that this one has “low” frets where my LP Standard has mediums that I like, and even the SG that I sold had medium jumbos that felt really good too. I have never really played low frets before but they seemed ok......we’ll see! Hopefully this one will work out better for me. It felt so much better. I hope there isn’t a reason why I haven’t seen low frets though.

Hector likes this.
  19. arcticsg

Both 2018 and 2019 SG Standards have medium jumbo frets.

Maybe the one you got was Plek'd to death :D

20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Try to play a used SG '61 Ri or a 2019 SG Standard 61, the 2019 61 is a very good run
    ;)

[​IMG]

Franktone and Hector like this.