Bought one, if not one of the newest 2019's SG's in Seattle area.. let me tell ya ..

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by xscottx9, May 8, 2019.

1. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

Redundant post and can’t figure out how to delete it

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM
  2. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

The current 2019 lineup that was released In April 2019 that has the cream binding has medium jumbos. The 2019s launched in late 2018 that have the white binding and slim taper neck have the low frets. Here is the link to the one I am talking about.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/SG-Standard-2019.aspx

I never really see low frets, so that just keeps running though my mind. When I picked it up and used it before I was focused on the neck differences and didn’t think about the frets as much until I saw those specs.

Mike

3. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Congrats! you got the early '19, like mine:)
    I love those frets. They compliment the neck carve perfectly.
    They are "low", but I prefer them over the more medium jumbo that they switched back to.
    It's a slicker feel sliding around the board.
    I find bending just as easy, but I like my action medium-high.

I have a tiny, tiny bit of relief in the neck, and raised the tailpiece up just above about midway, so it has more 'slink'.
    I tried the TP down further, and while that increases volume, it didn't feel as nice. So i went midway.

I did move up to my normal 10-52 gauge, had to do some nut TLC, but not much.

The reason I bought mine, the main reason: it felt like the neck wasn't there, that it was just a conduit. It was so easy and comfortable.
    Every time I pick that guitar up, I fall more and more in love.
    Enjoy yours!

4. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

That is great to hear! Thanks for commenting on it and passing along your experience. My first guitar close to 20 years ago was a Fender Iron Maiden signature start with super jumbo frets and I always thought it felt weird being that far away from the board. But hey, it was Maiden!

For the strings, I love 9-46s so that worked out well with this one. Wildwood Guitars had 3 of these and I had John there play all three and he said one stood out to him, and that one arrives this Friday!

Joncaster likes this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed that. I stand corrected.

6. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

No problem! Thanks for pitching in and trying to help me out! Much appreciated.

Mike

7. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Oddly, I'm now looking at a newer 2019 SG Standard... with the medium jumbo frets and rounded neck!

8. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

A25710EA-DC0C-4C7A-A06F-6947F8714526.jpeg Ok - the new “old 2019” SG came today and it’s exactly what I was looking for in terms of feel. Picking it up out of the case for a minute just felt right! Can’t wait to play it later tonight!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Joncaster likes this.
  9. Mike CT

Mike CT New Member

Played it for a few hours. Love it! Such a cool guitar to play!

Joncaster likes this.
  10. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Great news!
    I've come to realize that SG's have the best feel to them just picking them up. I was so used to Tele's.
    There's something about the thinner body, the long neck, that body/neck angle...the balance. Sexy as hell.

If I don't feel that kind of attraction picking up any guitar at first, it's usually not gonna happen.
    These days I just touch the back of the neck, cop a quick feel and I'll know if I need to pick it up.

Although recently I've also been a bit smitten with an Epiphone Firebird (the Slash version).
    That thing is the opposite, a huge tree trunk of a guitar, but it also has a vibe to it that's quite enticing. Great neck, terrible pickups though.