Boyd Rivers SG

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Layne Matz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

What kind of SG is that?

Gahr likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

A banjo sounding one.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

4. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

It's a copy, featuring late '60s SG Standard configuration with an SG Custom style neck with square/rectangular fret markers as opposed to the usual trapezoid markers you'd expect on a Standard.
    The headstock is not clear in the footage:

SG_Copy.png

But here is another picture of our man with same guitar showing more detail, which might enable you or other members to identify the actual maker:

SG_Copy_4.png

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Layne Matz likes this.
  5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thanks for trying! Hopefully someone will chime in and clear this up. Judging by his tone it very well could be a copy of foriegn origin. The humbuvkers sound like single coils IMO but (please dont shoot me for this) i think with the right amp you can dial in the tone of Hbuckers to imitate a single coil albiey different but highly similar.

Ive heard before about single coils on SG copies that are housed in humbucker casing. These fakebucker single coils, how are they wound? Are they wound similar to that of a P94?

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Nope. Look at a humbucker, now remove one coil. There you go.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

These get plenty of 60 Hz hum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Layne Matz likes this.
  8. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Alright, alright. Are those fakebuckers really that bad? JB Hutto and Jack White use(d) them. Cant anything be made to sing?

9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

They're single coils. If you like the sound of singles, they're fine.
    And I am sorry, but Jack White, to my ears, would hardly be considered a "tone monster". Due to him, those cheap POS guitars from the 60's are now becoming unaffordable. Let's face it, they were crap then, and 50 years hasn't made them any better.

Layne Matz likes this.
  10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Im not defending his tone. I dont ever listen to his stuff unless someone else puts it on, which happens occasionally as we have most of the white stripes on vinyl. I wouldnt want to play a guitar like that in all honesty, but my mother tells me i wanted one when I was 6. I got a mini strat instead, far more functional anyways. I never really played guitar though till I got an acoustic when I was 13, stole it rather and later asked the owner (an old millionaire deadhead) if it was alright and he said he was glad im using it.

The thing that i really appreciate about the white stripes records is that they could play with such crude simplicity and still make it tasteful. They brought something to mainstream music listeners that wasn't common for them. It wasnt poppy in the slightest, if it werent for his choice in pedals his tone would probably soumd more down to earth rather than all... I dont know the word, too synthetic sounding.

I like to hear any slide guitarist really, because I can really pick apart whats going on with their hands. Again, not something I really listen to. I prefer old blues and jazz.

The musicians that gave me a basis for learning slide: Leadbelly(he did play some slide), Fred McDowell, Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton, and Blind Willie Johnson, and Muddy Waters primarily. Rory Gallagher, Robby Kreiger, Bonnie Raitt, Ben Keith, Leo Kottke, and Jimmy page to some extent- needless to say those are musicians out of the psychedelic rock, folk and blues rock veinbersus old acoustic blues. Not to mention Duane Allman, Warren Haynes,Dicky Betts and Ry Cooder.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 5:57 AM
  11. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

One more thing, thsoe fakebuckers as I.like to call them would be convenient depending on how you put them to use. In a cheap SG for instance.

That being said I dont have anymore guitars than I can practically use, each with its own tuning, string gauge and set up.

12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Could it be a Columbus SG?

If you want nasty yet cool sounds from an old Japanese guitar, Hound Dog Taylor is your man. He plays slide as well.

Layne Matz likes this.