Bridge and tail piece for SG standard 2016ish

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pickles, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pickles

pickles New Member

Hi all, started a bit of a project fixing up an sg standard. It's without a bridge at the moment. :hmm:

I've heard good things about the tone pros stuff but I have to admit I'm starting to get a bit confused. So as someone that's having a hard time distinguishing between ABR, AVR, Nashville etc hoping someone can give me some advice on what a nice direct drop in replacement bridge and tail piece would be?

2. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

A lot of of people here will have a lot of opinions. I assume the guitar originally had a Nashville bridge.

Personally, I like Faber bridges and tailpieces. I have their aluminum tailpiece, Nashville replacement bridge and insert studs on all my Gibsons that came with Nashville bridges.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These are very good aftermarket parts. $75-90 USD

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

Both Faber and Tonepros are good. I like the Faber kit because it comes with a better locking system, in my opinion, than Tonepros uses.

Below are two examples of the master kit, which differ because one is an Epiphone and one is a Gibson. I show both for completeness.

First, the Gibson:

IMG_0220.jpg

For this I chose the NSWKIT, which used the existing studs. As you can see, that leaves exposed post. Is it my intent now to change it. You can see the spacers under the stoptail posts raising it up about a half-inch and hard-coupling to the inserts in the body. this increases sustain like crazy! I will buy the INserts with the separate wheels... more resonance, more sustain. You can see that I have also chosen titanium saddles for strings 4, 5, and 6.

For the Epiphone, the studs are a lot larger for the bridge.

IMG_0219.jpg

Here I used the E-sert with the separate wheels. Because the posts end up the same as on the Gibson, it's the same Nashville bridge, same stoptail, the only difference being the stoptail posts are metric to match the inserts.

Pretty spiffy, I think. Worth the price, and definitely better and tighter locking than Tonepros set-screws.

Tom

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG! You're in the right place to discuss bridges and sustain.

Nashville bridge is what is stock on Gibson SG Standards.
    Drop in replacement would be a Nashville bridge someone on this forum wasn't
    using and you got cheap
    , or a new Faber or Tone Pros bridge that you pay high
    price for. Or something made by Gotoh, or any of several other makers.

I have TonePros bridges on two of my guitars, and they work great and give no trouble.
    I have the Nashville stock bridge on one of my Gibsons, and it works great and gives no trouble.
    I have installed Gotoh bridges on one Epiphone guitar and two basses, and they work fine and
    give no trouble. All my guitars seem to ring like a bell to my ear, and I don't hear a lot of
    difference due to the bridge.

IMHO, there's a lot of faith based statements that are made concerning the bridge and the
    sustain we expect. I don't argue with my colleagues on this forum because I respect their opinions
    and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. The expensive TonePros bridges are very elegant and
    render excellent sustain and I don't regret buying them. I kept the stock Gibson bridge on one
    SG out of curiosity, and it seems to give up nothing. *shrugs ...go figure.

ABR-1 is an older design that has its own cult following. I don't understand the attraction
    but there are plenty of ABR-1 fans on this forum who might explain it to you. Then you can make
    up your own mind. ABR-1 pre-dates the Nashville bridge, and screws right into the wood
    with no studs. I believe someone makes a version that can use the existing studs if you want
    to convert from the Nashville to the ABR-1.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  6. pickles

pickles New Member

Thanks for the responses. I found a place that sells tone pros stuff locally which is why I was leaning that way (saving on shipping etc as well).

Would this be a direct drop in replacement? (sorry can't post links for some reason):
    add tone pros dot com here /nvr2-tonepros-avr2-with-standard-nashville-post-tuneomatic/

along with a TonePros Locking Stop Bar Tailpiece T1ZS?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

T3BP is what you want. What you reference is the earlier design.

Tom

8. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

ABR-1 vs Nashville... If I didn't have an ABR-1 I'd be happy with a Nashville since there are a lot more options in terms of different bridges.
    I believe the Nashville has more room for intonation.
    Whether or not you get more sustain out of either one... it just depends on your setup and how new your strings are! :)