BSIAB II pedal

Discussion in 'Effects' started by paradox, Dec 20, 2004.

1. paradox

paradox Active Member

I was going through the DIY effects sites and ran across this "Brown Sound In A Box (BSIAB) II distortion box. Has anybody ever tried one of these? I tried to listen to the MP3 for it but the file seems hosed. I am intrigued by the name and may try this as a DIY effect, could be cool. :?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

3. paradox

paradox Active Member

Finished It!!!

This thing actually sounds pretty darn good. I'm into the marshall sound and this "Brown Sound in a Box" is supposed to nail that sound. I guess I built a Brown Sound in a Black Box... But my daughter calls it Bob Cheese... aren't kids great! A special thanks to Ed Guidry for designing this thing where ever your are. It drives a J201 FET into distortion and it just seems smoother than what you get from diode clipping type circuits, dunno but Ed did a good job! (Didn't think distortion, FETs and smooth went together!) I think I'm good to go for a distortion pedal, the search is over... Thanx again Ed :!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll try that Ross clone compressor circuit next, I got lots of resistors now!!!

4. ess

ess Guest

cool. makes me wanna try and build a pedal. :D

5. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Me too! :lol: 8)

6. ess

ess Guest

sgmmer!! i downloaded the bluesbreaker info from that site CB posted. looks quite doable........ :shock: 8)

easy to follow schems and layouts.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :?: :?: :D

7. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

if you do the BB, let me know... there are some small changes to make in that schematic. As drawn it has a anti-click device in the circuit, but that also limits the gain. You can increase the gain back with the addition of one resistor. Easy to do, and worth it rather than taking out the anti click feature (on the stomp pedal).

8. paradox

paradox Active Member

Just one thing to remember about building a pedal, its not going to be a money saver (unless you have a shop where you can borrow a resistors, caps here and there - I didn't), I should've kept track of total build cost but I did not.. I would say around $65 or more to do this one. Its around $40 bucks just for the empty box, blank board and bypass switch. I did wind up with lots of extra parts that should make building something else less expensive (maybe). It did however, satisfy that strong tinkering urge I was getting (for now anyway). As you can see my silk screen artist quit before I got them to complete the graphics, quess I'll just go with stick on labels :!:

9. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Sourcing parts is a big game in doing any repairs/builds!

10. paradox

paradox Active Member

The toughest part it getting all the little boxes delivered past the better half :!: I think I did three separate orders (+ the board order) for this box!!! At least the GeneralGuitarGadget guy ships the blank board in a regular envelope :!:

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I STRONGLY suggest you dont use such a tiny box as they do on the general-guitar-gadgets site. Go for something more "full size" at first, use full size pots and such. Mo-betta'

12. Voxman

I'm quite curious of how the pedal sounds, same riff, on and off! That you've built....

13. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

14. Voxman

Thanks SGM, as I'm lyxdexic>>>>>> I'm hooked, line and stinker,and look at the prices! I just hope the projects I'm interested in are idiot proof! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

15. paradox

paradox Active Member

CB, I may have been misunderstood (this is actually normally the case with me). I meant the little delivery boxes that showed up at the door!!!
    I used the hammond 1590BB size box. I did for some reason go with the Alpha full size pots - I guess the mini pots in the champ 12 have turned me off to the minis. The bigger ones are easier to clean!!

16. paradox

paradox Active Member

voxman, I would have liked to record it through a speaker, but can't find the mic, so this is direct out of a DSL401 on clean channel, effect off, then effect on (gain knob set about 3/4ths)...

https://home.comcast.net/~willette/bsiab2.mp3

17. Voxman

Thanks Dox!

Your example sounds excellent and great choice of what to play on the demo! The example on there web site does not do the pedal justice based on what I've heard here....The bass sound on the site example turned me off a bit but here I see I was mistaken.....Now I've got to build one.....Did you order the pre made board with yours and solder the parts to it?
    CB! Any cool tweeks you see here? Perhaps some older caps like Black beauties or phillips/ mullard even Mallory 150's might tailor it a bit?

18. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

AH... gotcha on the box size....

Vox, you're not gonna get Mallory 150s in there. Think ... those green polyp caps. Also, think 1/8 watt resistors. Yeah I know, I've got cases and cases of one two and half watt resistors, orange drops etc, none of it fits on an effects board, unless you want the final effect to be rather large.

19. paradox

paradox Active Member

Voxman,

Yes I did order the pre-made blank board and soldered the parts to it. I got most of the parts from mouser and used 1/4 watt resistors. I have plenty of the resistor values used in this kit if you want me to send you some... I think they had several of the 2N5457 and J201 manufacturers available, I choose to use the ones from Fairchild.

20. Voxman

But those little green polyprops, I don't know I got mental issues with them and their sound! I know,I know there used all the time and even gtr tone circuits but I got a mental block with them and that cheap mouser parts issue, right or wrong. I know what your saying and appreciate it but..........I'll just have to go to the bench and give myself some electric shock therapy, that'll help..........ZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAPPPPP.