Building a music room - opinions needed

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Mar 12, 2019.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am doing some major renovations to my home and have decided to build a dedicated music room. As I have kids I am thinking a space to keep my instruments safe may be in my best interest.

I am a home player and enjoy playing along to my albums and noodling and making the odd riff up. I have a small amp for head phones and and Peavey delta Blues 30 amp for when I want to get loud. All is well with my equipment and I don’t think I really need to add or subtract anything to have a functional fun space to jam in.

My main question is regarding humidity. As this room will be in the basement, and will likely fluctuate more than the rest of the house, what precautions and measures should I have in place to ensure I am providing the protection I need to my instruments? I will be installing a new natural gas furnace at the same time, which should help regulate the temperature, but we also use a wood stove that provides a dry heat (lowering humidity).

I am thinking a good place to start is with a digital hygrometer to monitor levels and see if I need to go up or down (likely up), but would like to hear your opinions. Currently I store all my high end guitars in their OHSC, but with a dedicated room it might be a nice opportunity to wall mount them.

If anyone has photos to share of their own music room, I would love some inspiration.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    arcticsg and Layne Matz like this.
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

An honorable quest! I will add what wisdom I can.

1st: buy a humidifier that you can refill easily. These should cost about
    $40. Lots of choices.

2nd. Equip your acoustic guitars with the "Oasis" humidifier. These cost about $18 each, and rest between the strings inside the sound hole. The
    advantage of the Oasis is the permeable membrane. The guitar draws what moisture it needs from the Oasis... and no more, and no less
    This works, I will testify.

Attached Files:

Layne Matz and pancake81 like this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Do you have a forced air furnace?
    Does that furnace have a humidifier built in?

Enclosed basement spaces that don’t have airflow are problematic. Any kind of airflow will be extremely helpful Temp and humidity wise.

If you don’t have a forced air system you can use bathroom fans as a sort of down and dirty air exchange system.

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I suggest your first move is to buy a temperature and humidity gauge and leave them in the cellar for a few weeks to see what you are dealing with. They can also be your guide to humidity treatment later on. I find a very rapid way to add some humidity to a room is a wet dish towel hung on a radiator. But there are automatic humidity regulators to be had if you decide to spend a little cash (less than the average cost of a guitar).

https://www.rona.ca/en/indoor-therm...nVOYjJQoUim2SZOpomtK6fNk98uKqzcBoCZOMQAvD_BwE

That is the sort of thing, and something like this

https://songjing928-2001.en.made-in...t-Moisture-Control-Hot-Air-Clothes-Dryer.html

The Real Rick and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

My basement is my music room.

I live in New York -- dry winters that are murder on guitars left out hanging on a wall or kept on a stand as you want your guitars to be.

My advice:

- keep your guitars in their cases.

- by a hygrometer to see exactly what the humidity level is in your music room. You'll see spring and summer and even fall months good...winter not good. Winter, just keep the guitars in cases with humidifiers.

- do you have a bathroom in your basement? If so, every once in a while in the winter months turn on the shower - hot water - and keep the door open. Let it run for twenty minutes. Your music room becomes a tropical rain forest with near 100% humidity; any low humidity readings are instantly raised. (Funny story: first time I did this I had the water a bit too hot and had the shower running for a long while. I went down to check things out and I swear there were rain clouds forming towards the ceiling. It looked like it was going to rain at any second in my basement!)

- humidifiers in your cases in wintertime is a must. I have bought the $20 Oasis humidifiers -- waste of money. Those damn things have to be refilled every two or three days and they are so small. I wonder how much moisture they are providing the guitar. Better thing to do is buy travel soap cases for a buck apiece, drill holes in them, put wet sponges in them, place in guitar case. Done. And they work great.

Put sponges instead of soap in these things:
    [​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus and arcticsg like this.
  6. Col Mustard

Also, if you are creating a music room in your basement, you might need
    a DE-humidifier for the summer months. Where I live in Michigan, the winters are very dry with the furnaces going all the time, and the summers are very humid and damp. So the basement might be both... and appliances to deal with it are likely to be needed.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Are we dealing with solid body electrics or fragile acoustic here ?

I only have electrics and humidity fluctuates a lot from season to season where I am. The only problem I have is that slimmer necks need a slight truss rod adjustment twice a year.

With humidity factor aside, I say don't leave any guitar in it's case. Every single one on a wall hook. It's the only way they'll all get played.

2018 Avril+.jpg

8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Heat and cold should not be big factors unless you get really cold.

In ohio it gets too humid at times in basement but that usually is not a horrible thing unless stays really high. A dehumidifier may be necessary.

In winter here it usually gets very dry in basement and cold not a good combo. So as others noted a humidifier with a sensor.

I get tired of filling humidifier but desl with it.

arcticsg likes this.
  9. pancake81

10. pancake81

Yes, I currently have a forced air furnace, and will be having a new one installed next week along with hot water on demand. In my research I never saw one that had a built in humidifier.

Great advice, thanks. I have read to purchase a digital hygrometer as they are more accurate. I am sure either will suffice.

I like the idea of the humidifier that maintains your desired levels automatically. I currently have humidifiers in our room, but they are basic low/med/high set up.

That’s a good life hack! Cheers

We are talking 4 solid body and 1 semi hollow and one acoustic.

And I agree, I end up playing my les Paul, Gretsch and acoustic the most because... THEY ARE ALWAYS OUT!
    It’s so much more convenient to just pick one up and play 15-20 mins instead of making the calculated decision to play guitar, uncase, warm amp up, play, clean, put away. That’s maybe 1 or 2 nights a week for me, but I play the ones that are out daily.

Col Mustard and Layne Matz like this.
  11. DrBGood

Having a guitar in it's case in a music room is like puting your picks back in a closed jar, tying up your cables and storing them in a drawer, putting your pedals back in their boxes then on the shelf and moving your amp to the closet.

I would only play a ukulele !

Dale, Thumpalumpacus and pancake81 like this.
  12. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

If you are building a room for your gear, buy a good humid/dehumid that is programmable. these days they even have the portable A/c units that have both dehumid and humid as well as heat. you can program most of them to keep a constant temp year round and a constant humidity level. This should be very easy to dial in in a new enclosed jam room. If you are not repurposing a space but framing in your new space , I would even frame it so that the unit can can be "in wall" allowing space saving and just the front of it to be visible inside the room. this will cut down on compressor noise and heat exchange and allow it to pull it air easier from the lager space outside. it will also allow you to have the exhaust, water line or access to the dump bucket all away from precious gear so no oops my tube screamer is in the middle of the room and i just tripped and spilled 4 gallons of pond scum on my les Paul.!!!! Good luck and have fun!

13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

If you’re getting a new furnace...pay the extra $50 and get the humidifier added on.

It’s common place these days, you’ll be able to regulate the entire house as far as year round humidity is concerned. Whole house de/humidifier is infinitely more effective than individual units.

Just hook your room up to cold air return and forced air and you’ll be golden.

madhermit and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

No, the better analogy would be having a guitar in its case in a music room is like having your Ferrari in a garage while a hail storm is raging.

Humidity (hail storm) will happen. It is best to keep you guitar (Ferrari) safe from the ravages of humidity (hail storm).

15. DrBGood

Then all my (Toyota) guitars must be good for the scrap yard [​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

(Toyota) guitars have value. They are beaters -- you can keep them out of their cases even if you live next door to a nuclear power plant that is experiencing a catastrophic meltdown. The guitar will not be affected.

I have a beater Ibanez acoustic from the '70s. That thing has more staying power than the 4,000 year old Sphinx. Everybody who comes over - guitar player or not - picks up that Ibanez and monkeys around with it. Household pets play with it. 1,000% humidity or Sahara dry weather does nothing to it.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of casing guitars here. I'm lucky that humidity isn't really a weather issue here. That allows me to just make sure my central heating is around 72 or so -- 40-60% humidity is the norm here and I've got no issues with instruments.

Dale likes this.
  18. Col Mustard

me, I do both... I keep some of my guitars out and ready...
    but I rotate those, so that I get some playing time on them all.
    I'm always picking up the one that's out and ready.
    So it's important to me to have a place where they can be so.

I understand the motivation behind putting them safely away.
    AND I don't disagree with this, because it keeps the fine instrument
    safe... But I don't obey it either. Because I want the fine instrument
    to be right there where I can enjoy it, and play it, and admire it.

like ye miser fingering ye gold ....heh heh heh...
    My guitars inspire me just sitting there, so I need them to be
    vulnerable sometimes. If I could afford the whole house temp/humidity
    control, I would buy that.

I think it's a great idea. And for the OP, I agree with the posts above
    which recommend that temp/humidity control be installed when building
    a music room. Then your guitars can be out and ready, but not subjected
    to extremes of humidity or dryness.

arcticsg likes this.
  19. madhermit

madhermit New Member

I have a bungalow North of Torono. We get a huge temp and humidty swing here. -35°C to +40°C temp, and humidity swing is just as crazy. I got a whole home humidifier that is an add-on. Works great in the winter months, as it uses the heated forced air to distribute the humidty, and the ac dehumidifies in the summer. I have a digital hygrometer in the music room, and 2 more elsewhere in the house. It is fairly easy to keep the humidy between 40-50%.

The vast majority of my 20+ electric, acoustic, bass, mandolin, ukuleles are on wall hangers.

20. pancake81

Thanks for your reply. My HVAC install happens on Tuesday so I am going to ask them about a whole home humidifier. I am in the okanagan (BC), and we go from -15 to +40 (Celsius), also a desert.

I am just finishing my basement Reno, right down to the studs. New insulation, vapor barrier, windows, drywall, hvac, electrical, bathrooms, the list goes on. Been a lot of work, but will enjoy it for years to come.

Will post some photos of the room as I go.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.