Buying 1969 Gibson SG today [Need help seems fishy]

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SageC, Oct 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SageC

SageC New Member

I'm trying to figure out what year this SG is. The guy selling it said the serial number was sanded off. But he says he knows it's a '69 because the second owner (he is the third) he used to have the paper work.

I noticed two fishy things in these photos: the dot in the i appears to be there (attachment: gibson8) but is not in the other (attachment: gibson1). Same for the truss rod cover it's blank in one but the other says SG.

Upon looking at the photos to upload them I noticed a small watermark in the corner does anyone recognize it? The last three are photos he sent me when I asked for more pictures. He did say he replaced the tuning machines with Grover Deluxe Tuning machines.
    Any opinions would be greatly apreciated

UPDATE: I found the original posting with those first four pictures on worthapedia

maybe he's the guy who bought it but I confronted him about this. Will update again with what he replied.

gibson1.jpg

gibson1.jpg gibson2.jpg gibson1.jpg gibson2.jpg gibson4.jpg gibson5.jpg gibson6.jpg gibson7.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. Jason

Jason Member

Seems fishy

SageC likes this.
  3. SageC

SageC New Member

UPDATE 2: the last 3 pics and this picture of the the whole guitar are actual pics of the SG thats being sold.
    The others are not.

Any help on dating this?
    gibson8.jpg

4. Jason

Jason Member

Not too sure but I would guess it's not a 69.
    The seller posted pics of a different guitar! I'd stay away from that sale.

Satellitedog, SageC and flognoth like this.
  5. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Run......

PermissionToLand and SageC like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Those tuner buttons look more like Schallers as opposed to Grovers.

Someone did a real clean modification on removing the Maestro Vibrola and installing a stop bar tailpiece in its place. I can barely see the filled holes.

The saddle adjustment screws on the ABR-1 are facing toward the nut in one photo and toward the tailpiece in the other.

A 1969 model would have Witch Hat knobs as original, not reflectors.

The bodies appear to be the same in all photos with the exception of the bridge screws facing opposite directions. The headstocks are not the same because of the conflicting dot missing the "i" on one, but not the other and the tuners and TRC are different as well.

So many inconsistencies. It would be more convincing if all the photos in the group were taken at the same time of the same guitar with its current state of modifications.

Check the pot codes and if the pots appear to be original as well as the solder, then that would give a better indication of the year. Serial numbers of that era are not very helpful in determining the year of a guitar.

The darker color on the back of the neck is odd.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    SageC likes this.
  7. SageC

SageC New Member

FINAL UPDATE: The first 4 photos were of an actual '69 SG the guy found online and he said he was just posting those until he could get a chance to take pics of his SG. He seemed to sincerely believe it was a '69 that he owned but he took it to the shop and the luthier there dated it as a 1993 Gibson SG '62 RE-ISSUE. My hearts been broken haha it's been a year of obsessively checking facebook and craigslist for the right SG and my search will continue. Hopefully I'll be back to join this forum as an owner some day soon. Thanks for the help everyone!

Bettyboo and PermissionToLand like this.
  8. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Well, that's not a '62 Reissue either, but a Standard. Oh well, you keep looking and you'll find the one that is for right for you.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yep, cannot be a '62 reissue because Batwings didn't happen until 1966. I see so many postings with incorrect descriptions including SG Specials that are equipped with humbuckers and chrome covers being listed as a Standard. Standards don't have unbound necks with dot inlays.

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

No serial number= stolen...fishy indeed.