Calling All Epi SG Junior Owners!!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Jimi G, May 8, 2011.

1. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Hey Gang,

I just picked up what I believe is a 1997 Epi G-310 SG Junior. I have not been able to find much in the way of the history of these guitars. I believe Epiphone released the first (made in Korea) version of these in the mid 90s based on the G-310 with a single P-90 pup. And, then again in the mid 2000s as a guitar pack (made in China???) with a single humbucker.

I need to enlist your help in trying to piece together the history of this model. All other SG owners/experts are also welcome to contribute. Got a couple of shots of mine below.

Thanx in advance for your support

G

2. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

A Couple of Pics of My SG Junior

Here are just a couple of pics of mine.

G

Attached Files:

Dave Johnson likes this.
  3. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Lets See Some Pics!!!!!

Lets see some pics of your SG Juniors...

G

4. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Mid 2000s Epi Advertisement

Here is a copy of a mid 2000s epiphone advertisement. Note humbucker in lieu of P-90 and no strap button on upper horn. Verbage only, pic is below.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Epiphone Player Pack - SG Junior

SG-Junior Electric Guitar Player Pack: Don’t be fooled by its price. Our entry-level SG-Junior is a rock-machine with its legendary humbucker pickup and trademark SG-shape.

Classic SG-Shape: Since its introduction in 1960, this two-horned monster has graced the hands of some of the greatest guitarists of all time. Its double-cutaway body offers unequaled upper fret access while it’s light-weight, contoured shape makes it easy to play. Night after night… gig after gig.

• Angled Headstock: Unlike cheaper designs, all Epiphone’s feature a 14-degree headstock that gives you more pressure at the nut and so you get more sustain with less tuning hang-ups caused by “string-tree” gadgets.

• Upgraded Controls: All Epiphone’s feature traditional large diameter potentiometers for smoother range and longer life.
    • Upgraded Switches: All Epiphones feature our all-metal, USA designed switches for reliable contact and longer life.
    • Rosewood Fingerboards: All Epiphone player packs feature guitars and basses with Rosewood fingerboards for smoother feel and longer life. Plus, dirt and grunge doesn’t show like on cheaper maple fingerboards.

• Humbucking Pickup: If you wanna Rock, you gotta have a humbucker! With its dual-coil design that eliminates unwanted “hum”, humbuckers are the choice of professional rockers worldwide. Rich, rock tone with no noise – don’t settle for less!

• Three-On-A-Side Machine Heads: More spacing and larger buttons make our 3+3 headstock and tuner design easier and faster to use.

• Precision Machine Heads: All Epiphone guitars and basses feature premium, precision tuners for ease of use, excellent tuning stability and long life.

• Everything You Need: All Epiphone Player Packs feature everything you need to get you started including…

Deluxe Gigbag
    Pitch Pipe
    Strap
    Cord

• Limited Lifetime Warranty: All Epiphone guitars and basses feature a Limited Lifetime Warranty backed by 24/7 Gibson Customer Service at 1-800-4GIBSON.

Studio 10X Amplifier:

• Individual Overdrive and Clean controls allow you to go from “clean” to “crunch” and everywhere in-between.

• 2-Band EQ Controls: With treble and bass equalization, you can fine tune your sound just as you like it.

• Headphone Output: Plus in a set of headphones and you can practice or play by yourself without disturbing the old folks. Good for you AND them!

CLICK HERE TO LOCATE YOUR NEAREST EPIPHONE DEALER!

Or Call 1-800-4GIBSON Today!

More Epiphone news items.

5. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Mid 2000s Ad Pic

Here is the ad pic... Also noticed this version has an 8 hole pickguard, while the earlier version (mid 90s) has 7 holes. And, earlier version's knobs angle away from the guitar (if you were to draw a straight line thru the center of both knobs), while the mid 2000 version's angle toward the headstock.

G

Attached Files:

6. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i wish epiphone would release a set neck SG junior, like they did for the LP junior '57.

7. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=21615.msg259280#msg259280 date=1304920380]
    i wish epiphone would release a set neck SG junior, like they did for the LP junior '57.
    [/quote]

You and me both! They (Epiphone) could do it easily. Just use the G 400 as a base and change the neck profile to something a little more chunky and thinner width wise. Then offer it either with a single humbucker or a single P-90. But, in reality this will probably never happen as the market just isn't there for such a niche guitar.

G

8. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Epi SG Junior History Research Update

All (if there is anyone reading this),

Have been in contact with Gibson Customer Service. They are currently trying to assist in providing some historical info on the Epi SG Junior. Will post any info they send.

G

9. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Received Historical Info From Gibson

Received the info from Gibson late last week. I was right on about 98% of the info I posted above with the exception of country of origin for my 97'. Here is Gibson's reply;

"Thanks for sending the pictures. The pictures and serial number are consistent with an Epiphone G-310 Jr. model in Cherry finish, made in Indonesia in January of 1997. This model was available from 1997-2000. The Epiphone SG Junior Player pack was available from 2005-2006. I have attached information on the 90’s model, and more information can be found on the recent model at the following link, http://www.epiphone.com/images/EpiCat06pg23_50.pdf ."

Thanks again!

Gibson Customer Service

97' - 00' info and files not too large, will post later. Recommend anyone wanting to see the 05" - 06' stuff, use the provided link. Its too large to load here.

Just one last quick observation. No spec data provided fo LP or SG Juniors offered as packs in 05' & 06'. A very curious omission. However, all other models are shown on spec sheet to include a fairly rare 57' Reissue LP Jr (w/ set-neck).

Enjoy,

G

10. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

97' - 00' Epi SG Junior Specs

Specs on 97' - 00' SG Junior;

Model P/up Hdware Scale Nut Width Neck Joint Neck Material FB/Inlay Body Material
    G 310 SG Junior P 90 Chrome 24 3/4" 1.68" Bolt-on Mahogany Rosewood/Dot Alder/Maple Laminate

Dang!, 97' - 98' Juniors have a maple laminate top & back... Cool!

G

11. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

97' - 98' Epi SG Ad Pic

97' - 98' Epi SG Ad Pic;

Attached Files:

12. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Epi SG Jr History Re-cap

I know Epi SG Juniors are only a small segment (niche) guitar, but hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers, G

Sub-note: Found out my Junior has a "Rio Grande" Blues Dawg boutique pup in her (sells new now for $100+). Totally awesome tone & sustain. Well, this plus the free Epi SG hard shell case for $99 from GC. Not a bad deal (IMO) for a prinstine 14 year old SG Jr. :)

Just a few other little things to do...
    - New replacement pickguard to replace the scratched up original
    - Gotoh Kluson style vintage tuners w/ greenish plastic keys
    - A black Tusq nut
    - black w/ silver reflector tophat knobs (just installed)

Will post pics at a later date... Chow!

13. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Nothing to say really.

Just thought you might like some company. :)

14. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Thanx Sarge. I was starting to feel alittle like the Maytag repairman (LOL).

G

15. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

[quote author=Jimi G link=topic=21615.msg259506#msg259506 date=1305861050]
    Thanx Sarge. I was starting to feel alittle like the Maytag repairman (LOL).

G
    [/quote]I heard that the Maytag repairman jumped ship and went to work for LG ;)

BTW, from one Epi owner to another, nice find on the info.

16. sgtbeefheart

Don't know who the Maytag guy is, but my Lg TV is the best I've ever had. :)

17. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Wav, Thanks. As for LG, bought one of their microwaves (the reviews on it blew away all of the other brands). I'll be looking to buy a new flat screen here in the next couple of months and LG is definitely at the top of my list.

G

18. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Too bad the EpiWiki is gone now, I think we had some basic info on the G400 Jr.

19. sgtbeefheart

20. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=21615.msg259519#msg259519 date=1305892271]
    Don't know who the Maytag guy is, but my Lg TV is the best I've ever had. :)
    [/quote]

Maytag Repairman