Can anyone decipher this writing?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by I owe me, Oct 26, 2019.

1. I owe me

I owe me New Member

So I'm trying to get as much info on my sg as possible, but there isnt much.
    It seems it's a 1983 (I bought it new).
    The color is walnut and I think it is actually walnut wood. The pickups have the black epoxy stamped 596 483. The pots have numbers that havent popped up on any searches.
    There is writing under the neck pickup and in the control cavity. I'll add pics to see if anyone can make out what it says.

Attached Files:

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    You need to try to do better with the pictures. You either have a load of shine across the writing, or wires are in the way.

3. I owe me

I owe me New Member

Yeah...the wires were in the way and I didnt want to push them since they were very stiff. I'm more concerned with the writing on the neck pickup hole...that's what it looks like...maybe "wicku"?

4. nicolas13

nicolas13 Member

maybe ducan N (duncan N)

5. Jason

Jason Member

Looks like mahogany to me

6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I've heard that older Gibsons (from the early 80s actually) occasionally will have a woman's name written by a worker into the neck pickup cavities. People aren't sure if its a girlfriend of a male worker, a worker herself, or what. Anyway, that first one looks a little like "Vickie" to me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  7. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

probably some guy wrote his name all over the insides...so if it gets stolen he can say it's his :p
    looking at the cavity...it sure looks that way seeing as the writing has been lacquered over to perhaps preserve it, whereas around it are still a little unfinished.

8. I owe me

I owe me New Member

Now that you mention it I can see a "vicky".

9. I owe me

I owe me New Member

It could be, i remember saying "I want to buy an sg with a tremolo bar", and the guy saying "what color?"
    (Years earlier I saw a brown one in a different store and was told it was walnut. )
    So I said to the guy, walnut. He disappeared came back and showed it to me and I bought it. I was a teenager and had no clue about sg special, standard, custom etc.. I just knew "sg", tony iommi, and I had to have one.

10. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member