Can anyone help ID this SG please? Vox sg-200?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Chris Snow, May 12, 2018.

1. Chris Snow

Chris Snow New Member

Hi all. Got this barn find SG. Not sure what it is, wondered if someone can help me ID it? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 10.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg

Roca likes this.
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Looks like a really cheap 70's copy from Japan.

3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

No clue what it is but damn that looks like its going to be fun to restore to a playable condition. That tremelo system is reminiscent of a Lyre or Maestro Vibrola but looks like it would use a spring like a Bigsby. I cant wait t o find out more. Im sure someone knows something.

I want to know how that bridge works.

4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Ok, it looks to be something from TEISCO. The bridge plate and "trem" is a dead give away. More then likely early 70's. I would be willing to bet money that the pickups are actually single coils in a humbucker shell. IF you decide to rebuild the trem, don't use it. They were unbelievably bad at returning to pitch.

Chris Snow likes this.
  5. Chris Snow

Chris Snow New Member

I see why you might say that but I can't find any pics online of anything exactly like it from Tiesco. Not with the single tone and vol, the switch in the pick guard, truss rod adjustment at the headstock and no headstock decal.

6. Chris Snow

Chris Snow New Member

I'm wondering if it's a bit of a parts-caster. The neck plate has one straight slot wood screw in it so maybe it's a Vox or Japanese body with some other manufacturer's neck on it?

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

If you expect help....you have to post more and better pictures! OK, just kidding:naughty: Looks like a typical 70's Japan guitar, could be one of many brands. Might make a nice player guitar. Did you look in the cavity, you might see some clues on the pots etc. Also, seeing the underside of the pickups could yield some clues also. Good luck.

8. Chris Snow

Chris Snow New Member

At the moment I have eBay listing pics, the guitar is being shipped now. I will indeed post some more detailed pictures and if anyone can help ID it that's great. More in hope than expectation :naughty: