Can anyone recommend a Boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by chrisbwfc, Apr 25, 2005.

1. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Member

In a further effort to get my rating up:

Can anyone recommend a Boost pedal for use with my P-90 equipped SG, with c1970 AC30 and Hotplate?

Very happy now I've bought a Hotplate and now I fancy a boost pedal. Contendors so far are Keeley Java Boost and a Scott Henderson Crispy Cream (Germanium version). The Crispy Cream is winning at the moment due to the fact you can change the transistor easily and I can buy lots of them without the missus going mad. I've not tried either pedal yet, as they are a bit scarce around these parts.

I'm going through a Clapton phase at the moment. I'm using a Townshend SG to get a Clapton tone and Townshend uses a Clapton Strat to get his tone. Funny old world eh?

2. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

As you have a Hot Plate I'm assuming that you are thinking more of a Clean Boost? Personally I use the Xotic RC Booster and love it to death. A superbly Transparent Booster with a Decent EQ (others could take note). When used in conjunction with any decent Amp it really adds a new dimension? Either used clean, or Buffered with your Hotcake you'd get good results. The Dealer over here is either Charlie Chandler or .......and much closer to you Sounds Great.

Alternatively....If you want a Boost that also Drives...The Xotic AC Booster would be the favourite weapon of choice around here 8)

Pip Pip
    Lexie

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Seymour Duncan has a clean boost. I'd even try to put one inside a volume pedal!

4. Bliggick

Bliggick Member

My friend got the same Zoom Powerdrive I have, new in the box, for $50 and it sounds great for the price . Clean boost or smooth overdrive with seperate bass and treble tone knobs. Built like a tank also. Not to be confused with those cheesy plastic multi-effects units like the 505 that Zoom is infamous for. Check my other thread.

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I feel this one is the best I've ever heard........
    Some of the biggest names are using them and that's how I found out about them.....as they were kind enough to tell me about them!

[​IMG]

Here's the link....Finland, pricey but worth it! I also have an old MXR Micro Amp too

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages...5eb044d3b1e2741d94dcd01064c+EN/products/12007

And more of their products .... in the USA! Honey Dripper next for me soon.... :roll:

http://www.tonefactor.com/products.php?cat=99

There is a slew of these types of products out there now, too many to list, so there's got to be one perfect for every "Booster" taste. :wink:

6. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I've got one of those Seymour Duncan P'up boosters that CharlieB mentioned. It's a funny little critter.
    It really acts like two different pedals when I use it with my two Marshalls. With my DSL 50, it just increases gain & the knob on it is quite usable. However with my JTM 45 RI, it actually BOOSTS volume, not gain. I have to set it on zero or I'd blow out my speakers. It's almost too much to use as a lead boost with that amp.

7. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Your DSL is a master volume amp... the JTM 45 isn't

For fun... have you tried setting the duncan pedal to max, and controlling volume with the jtm's volume control?

8. chrisbwfc

chrisbwfc Member

Well, I went for a HomeBrew Germania, it came yesterday. It doesn't half make things grittier (spelling?).

Got a great deal of ebay. $99 and only $7 airmail to the UK. The seller then sent me back $3 as the postage wasn't as expensive as he first thought. I had to pay £8.50 to Her Majestys Customs but, all in all, a very good deal.

Supersound Music in San Diego was the seller. Highly recommended!

I've just found out they have brought out a Germania 44 now though, complete with OC44 tranny. Mmmmmmmm. Anyone know if the OC44 is any different to a standard NOS English tranny? I can't see the code number of the one in mine, it''s just labelled made in Great Britain.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

I have a P-90-equipped SG, and I just built a Rangemaster clone (with a mil-spec CV7003 germanium transistor). It was pretty easy to build and it sounds great. I paid $65 for it, and bought it here, thanks to the recommendation of somebody on this board. Now, we'll see if it lasts...