Can I change a Lo Z mic over to a Hi Z mic?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by marshallman, Mar 19, 2005.

1. marshallman

marshallman Member

I bought a used Shure Prologue 14H mic, just for and extra. My problem is the mic saids Hi Z on it and it will only work with a 3 prong low impedance cord (tried it on my friends board). My board will only accept 1/4" mic jacks, and if I use a 1/4" jack cord on this mic, it won't work. I don't know why this mic saids Hi impedance but will only work with a low impedance cord. Is there anyway I can change this mic over to Hi impedance so I can use it with a 1/4" jack cord so I can run it through my board? Thanks........

2. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

Yeah you can get inline impedance matching trasformers from Rad Shack (the more expensive route) and other sources. I found someone selling them on ebay for reasonable prices. Use google and the key words 'inline impedance matching trasformers' that will get something and the same search can be used in ebay if you decide to go that route. If speed is an issue go to the local (overpriced) Radio Shack store. I have a bunch of them for similar purposes I use them to convert my 1/4 inch output to a balanced in on some of my rack gear.

3. marshallman

marshallman Member

Is there any way to re-wire the inside of the microphone itself to make it hi impedance instead of using the inline transformer? Didn't know if it could be done or if there was on line that shows you how.

4. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

No not without the tiny transformer that is part of the inline unit itself. Well you could do it but you will have an impedance mismatch which may not yield great results.

5. marshallman

marshallman Member

Someone told me that I could also buy a Lo to Hi microphone cable and then I wouldn't have to worry about the transformer. I'm trying to find one of this mic cables on line, no such luck yet.

6. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

7. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Yup, cheapest way is sometimes the best way.
    I've bought those in the past too...works fine.

8. marshallman

marshallman Member

I understand about the inline transformer, most likely will pick up one of those. The thing thats making me pull my hair out is why are these mics doing what there doing. The mic marked Lo Z, will work with either a Hi or Lo impedance cord. The mic marked Hi Z, will work with a Lo impedance cord, but not with the 1/4" jack Hi impedance cord like it should. I just don't understand it, I can't figure out whats screwed up.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Your post makes no sense Marshallman

If you have a HiZ mic, it has by definition a 1/4 inch phone jack. Those are used for HiZ (unbalanced) lines.

If you have a LoZ mic, then it by definition has an XLR connection. Those are used for LoZ (balanced) lines.

The important thing - if you actually have a HiZ mic, is check the cable on it at the mic end. It could be the cable was rigged by someone else. It IS possible to finagle the wiring, but you'll get sound... but not the right sound.

With all mics, its better to have a LoZ mic, and use a LoZ balanced line, only going to HiZ quarter inch right at the amp (or board if need be). That way your hum is minimized.

NEVER use a LoZ balanced line mic with the transformer at the mic end... with a guitar cable to the amp. It may "work" but not well.

Hope that helps!

10. marshallman

marshallman Member

I have about 8 good 24 ga. mic cords, some Hi Z with 1/4" jack ends and some Lo Z with the XLR ends. On the mic itself, it saids Lo Z. This mic will work, and have very good sound on either a Hi Z 1/4" end cord, or a Lo Z XLR end. I don't understand why this Hi impedance mic will work, and work well, with either a Hi or Lo impedance cord.
    I also have another Shure mic that saids Hi Z, and the only way I can get this mic to work is by using a Lo Z cord with the XLR end. This Hi impedance mic won't work with a Hi impedance 1/4" end cord. I can't figure these two mics out unless it was a factory screw up.

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Like I said... it IS possible to mess with the wiring.

Normally, a LoZ mic is balanced. If you go in, take the two balanced lines, swap one out with ground, leave the ground disconnected.... it will sort of work. Sort of, because you've screwed the response, and it will hum under some conditions... just like a single coil pickup.

12. marshallman

marshallman Member

Ok, I just got an e-mail from the "Shure Tech Support". The two Shure Prologue 14H mics I have, The "H" in 14H means high impedance. They said if it was a 14L, that would be low impedance. Right after the 14H one mic has Hi Z on it, and the other one has Lo Z on it. They say the label may have gotton mix up at the factory. I'm going to call them Monday and find out if 14H means high impedance and 14L means low impedance, what does the Hi Z and Lo Z mean. There may be light at the end of the tunnel yet. I'll keep you posted on what Shure has to say.

13. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

shure thang!! :D

14. nalaregeork

nalaregeork Member

Well general rule of thumb if it has a three prong (XLR) plug or socket on it it is a balanced Low Z (low impedance) line (300-600 ohms) There is also the low Z 1/4 plug which looks like a stereo plug but, it also is a balanced type. Like CB said your frequency response will be altered by cobbling the cable and plugging it into a line level Hi Z (High Impedance) input. Some people don't seem to mind and what can I say but, me I wouldn't do it you increase the poss ability of having noise and you can some say (though I can't verify it) damage a piece of equipment from doing this for too long (I imagine that would mean hours and hours)

Laterz

15. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I just use a line transformer when needed....

16. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

The Rad Shack is easiest..... I have several adapters that go every which way but loose............... 8) 8) 8)

17. Six String

...... remember the important thing is to get the stuff to work when you need it. 8) 8) 8)

18. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I did the same thing Six, bought every adapter available and threw em all in a draw for later use.

19. Six String

I got a lug around case that I put all that stuff in. Don't use it much..... but man does it come in handy when I need something. Straps, cords, mics, soldering gun, (an important one) Duct Tape, adapters, adapters that I don't even remember what they adapt to............... :lol: :lol: :lol: About everything..........!

20. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

...everything,,,,,SG !!!