Can you recognize the SG vs LP special? (overdriven)

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Gillean, May 31, 2017.

?

Which is which?

1. First is the SG

2. First is the LP

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

So I was playing in the room and decided to record both guitars I own at this moment, similar playing styles, similar riffs. Can you recognize which is which? where is the humbucker and where is the P90?

there is only one change of the guitars at 1:45m, there is like 15 seconds until I plug the second guitar. On both guitars I started on the bridge pup and then played the neck pickup. There is no cut on the video, its a one take recording. no tricks

if you guys like it, I can make some more recordings, cleaner sounding, super overdriven and this kind of stuff.

so, how good are our ears?

gear used:
    SG Special - classic 59 pickups from Mojotone (a4)
    LP Special - Gibson stock p90
    Orange OR15 - overdriven
    King of tone - Boost mode, very very slightly pushing a little bit of extra juice.
    Mic - seinheiser 609pretty close to the center of the cone, but not in the center of the cone.

edit: leave a like on this post with you want more of those in different styles and levels of gain, so I know if I'm just bothering you guys or with you are interested into playing that game.

http://soundcloud.com/renan-beltr-o/le-test-of-fun

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Cool post Gill. The first guitar is the P-90 machine.

3. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

First more bite, more grit. Second smoother, milder smokier. I've never played with either of those sets of PUPs but the first is closest to what I'm looking for out of my Gibson...

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Listen to the last overdriven chords. Much more defined with the second guitar.
    Second guitar, first riff is a tad scooped.
    First guitar is darker on the whole track.

5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

First one sounded like nice humbuckers in an SG to me.

Second one sounded more like single coils due to less space covered by the notes and more focus in the treble.

6. drown

drown Well-Known Member

P90 first, Humbucker second IMO

7. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Both guitars have traits that I'd attribute to a HH SG. I can't decide :confused:

8. DrBGood

Listen at 0:11 and 2:11, same seventh chord. First one is distorted compared to the second one where you hear all the notes ringing.

Neck pup at 0:59 and again at 3:30. Second one has better definition and pick attack is more percussive.

I say SG first then LP Special. And the honeymoon being still on, you play the Special longer :)

BTW, nice cover of Hendrix

Gillean likes this.
  9. Gillean

Well, time to know the truth!

I`d like to thank everyone who gave it a shot, it was really interesting to see what you guys though about it, and I could see that many times I would have said the same thing if I haven’t bought this guitar with all the misconceptions I had before playing a guitar with P-90.

First guitar was the LP special, Second was the SG.

I left some clues there. Here is the list:

1- I played the SG longer than the LP, not planned, but it’s a guitar that I`m more used to play, so its easy to get lost hehe. (DrBgood had a good guess about the honey moon period with the LP, pretty valid point, but I just love my SG – and each day love this LP more and more)

2- P90 tend to have more output than PAFs style humbuckers (PAFs, not standard humbuckers) – that’s why most of you guys noticed more grit and growl on the LP than in the SG. One would assume that the Humbuckers are hotter than P-90, therefore the sound should be more overdriven, not the case with PAF humbuckers.

3- Compressing of the sound, the humbuckers, although with less output, still are more compressed than the p90. With less drive and more compression you can hear that the sound is clearer and more defined with the SG, on the other hand the SG has less bite and grit to it, so its not that one is better than the other, just different.

4- P90s are much more like humbuckers than like strat/tele single coils – If you relate to point 3, this misconception could lead a lot of people to think guitar 2 is the p90, as its clearer and airier, characteristics usually related to single coils.

once again, thanks guys!

I will make another one soon, super clean sounds this time. lets see how it goes on the next one!

Renan Santos, Raiyn and Didds like this.
  10. DrBGood

Dumbfounded ...

But it is known that the more you add gain or OD to a pup, the more it will sound like the next one.
    Let's see how I fare in the cleans department.

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I got it right! On to round 2!

12. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Logged on just to say how tight that Bold as Love cover is.

I have been playing my P-90 SG a ton lately. One thing I noticed is that at least on my rig the P-90s like a lot more gain that the 57's.

13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Score!

14. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

If I had one more guess I'd have gotten it right.

15. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Same here, P90 definitely hotter. Since I've been playing a similar pair of guitars I felt like I had an unfair advantage.

16. Gillean

its interesting that you got all characteristics so detailedly right, but you add those characteristics to the wrong guitars.

I really believe that this is due to the fact the standard humbucker and PAF style humbuckers behave so differently, mostly because of output power. PAF style are very airy and open, p90s are hairy and mean (but in a very special way, totally different from high output humbuckers).

Renan Santos likes this.
  17. DrBGood

Depends on the P90 though. Just like humbuckers, there are very different flavours. I have a guitar with a set of Tyson Tone 57's Wraptail P90 in it and this one is hairy and growly. But then I have this other one with Sanford Magnetics 9022s and those are sooo clean and piano like, almost too clean. Complete opposites.

To tell the truth, I am slowly letting go of my humbuckers. It looks like more and more, the P90 satisfies all my tone hunger.

Go see this shootout, it's edifying.

Gillean and AngelDeVille like this.
  18. Gillean

absolutely awesome video, I'm still watching as of now but im enjoying thoroughly.

I`m still very new to p-90 world, having played only mine and a friends revstar that he added some lolar p-90s. both cases being mean p-90s.

now you left me wanting to play those more piano like p-90s, should so satisfying to play... oh lord. The search never ends but its such a wonderful journy, every discovery comes with new roads to go though.

Renan Santos and DrBGood like this.
  19. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Sucks that I got here too late to the party... But if I got here on time, I would have guessed No. 1 being the P90s, which is how it turned out to be! :D