Can't find pickguard for my 2018 Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Riplead, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Riplead

Riplead Member

Hey fellow SG'ers. I just recently got a used 2018 Standard and am loving it. The pickguard is a bit scratched up, and I would like to replace it. I searched to the end of the internet and back, and I can't find one I know will fit. I think it's 5 ply? Also, it kinda looks like the one for the '61 reissue, but I don't want to find out the hard way. I emailed a couple of pickguard companies and they're telling me to send in the original so they can match it. Surely there must be an easier way. If anyone can point me in the right direction here, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Dagger

Dagger Member

Trace it out on construction paper and send it to the pickguard company that way you still have it if that's what you are worried about. I wouldn't want to send my pickguard either.

3. Riplead

Riplead Member

Thanks that's a good idea, but I was hoping I'd be able to just find the right one and order it. It's always been easy to get LP and Strat pickguards.

4. ChrisM84

ChrisM84 Member

Creamtone makes an angel wing pick guard. Either “new” or “patina”. I’ve had both and they fit perfectly. They are wide bevel though.

Westernrider, Gahr and 19sixty3 like this.
  5. Sam Gant

Sam Gant New Member

Hello Rip Van Lead. I went to Tony at Pickguardian. My 1/2 guard came out nice. Wish you luck on your search.

6. Riplead

Riplead Member

Hey Sam, I emailed Pickguardian and they asked me to send in my pickguard. Just can't believe I can't find the part # and order one online. Thanks.

7. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Member

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Can't you just polish it ? A new one will eventually get the same treatment.

Super fuzz and Biddlin like this.
  10. Riplead

Riplead Member

Holy moly $39 for a piece of shiny plastic? I'm in the wrong business, lol. I did polish it a little but not sure what to polish with. I have micro mesh pads but don't want to make it worse. I don't mind light scratches but whoever played it before me must have been constantly strumming some wide-ass Pete Townsend style chords, lol.

11. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Any scratch/swirl remover intended for car exteriors should work. It will eliminate most of shallow swirls, might not work for deeper scratches.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. Riplead

Riplead Member

Thanks. I used some guitar polish and that helped a little, but it would take hours to really make a difference.

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I doubt that anything more than an hour on it would make a diffference.

Depends how much your time is worth ... :rofl:

14. Riplead

Riplead Member

The guitar is mint everywhere else except the pickguard. My playing style doesn't really mess up pickguards much. I just look at the pickguard like a cheap piece of plastic I could replace to make it look like new. Very surprised they are hard to find and expensive. Les Paul and Strat pickguards are everywhere.

15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Right. I think the liquid plastic polish they sell would work well without being too abrasive.

There are also some less expensive ones on Amazon and the like:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pickguard-Fi...?keywords=sg+pickguard&qid=1581040043&sr=8-17

Personally I would probably get the Creamtone one, I've used their stuff a few times and it's all absolutely first-class.

Gahr likes this.
  16. Riplead

Riplead Member

Thanks. I have to mull it over. Gonna plug my SG into my new Hotone Ampero now and play. I have a Kemper too, but the Ampero is my guest amp. Shocking how good it sounds compared to the Kemper which costs way more.

17. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

A pick guard is designed to take the abuse that otherwise would be transferred to the body itself. Embrace the scratch!

More importantly, how's the neck dive?

Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  18. Riplead

Riplead Member

Ya know, I am spoiled rotten with a bunch of guitars and have always stayed away from SG's because of the neck dive, but i always play sitting down and it doesn't really bother me. I guess if i was still gigging i'd find a way to deal with it, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Most of my guitars ('cept for my LP) have a 25.5 scale length. I love the way the 24 3/4 length feels. My hands are not that big and I could be wrong, but it seems a little easier for those arthritis chords.

19. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Kind of a stupid question, I guess, but did you contact Gibson directly?

20. Riplead

Riplead Member

Not yet. I looked online at Gibson's site for pickguards and only found ones for LP's.