Check out these two sweet epiphone SG deals i found

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Lunacy the Faded, Aug 3, 2018.

?

Which guitar would you buy?

1. Epi SG 3 "Les Paul Custom" $200

66.7%
  2. Epi SG Special P90s $280

33.3%
  1. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

Ones a three humbucker SG in creme for $200 the other is a p90 special in cherry gloss with aftermarket parts for $280

Screenshot_20180803-172600.png Screenshot_20180802-214140.png

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Crime custom all the way

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  3. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Member

Buy them both. Chrome p90’s look awesome!

4. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I would go with the second one. An Epiphone P90-equipped SG is exactly what I would be looking for if I would buy a new guitar!

What kind of bridge is that?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I'd go with the P90s. Especially if you already have a dual bucker SG. You cnant go wrong with P90s, they sound great in everything i have encountered. A P90 on a lap steel for instance is damn near perfect, gets the biting edge or crystal clear tones of a single coil yet it can still be overdriven with ease if desired.

Lunacy the Faded and Worblehat like this.
  6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Buy the Custom, sell it for 400, then buy the P90 one.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The P90 is an incredible guitar, I've had one. But ... you have to be able to live with a real skinny neck, which I couldn't.

As for the Custom, at $200 it's a steal and you would be able to flip it for a good profit.

I'd try to get both for $350 or with free shipping.

Lunacy the Faded and plankton like this.
  8. NomeX

NomeX Member

I let an $89 cherry G-400 go on GC online. It was fair condition, and I was lazy about calling the store. Oh well, someone got a great deal.

9. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Skinny neck= great for slide due to less resistance. Especially if you have large hands, there is much less contact with the neck its self with a thin neck while playing slide.

OP, id go for the P90 one or do as Bad Penguin suggested and flip the other on and fund the P90 one. Use the extra cash for upgrades to your liking.

If you havent used a slide much before I suggested its time you try. A P90 SG would make an excellent slide guitar with a proper set up and 11s or 12s. Slide really can be applied to all styles- to support this i reference Ry Cooder.

10. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Is that the '61 Special reissue? At first I thought it was another model modified to have P90s. It's hard to tell but it looks like there's mounting rings around those pickups, although I don't think I've ever seen those for P90s. Maybe it's just reflections from the chrome covers.

If you can swing it, I'd buy both, keep the one you like better and flip the other.

Lunacy the Faded and DrBGood like this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You're right, I hadn't seen that. And the tenon cover is wrong for a '61 Special. But ... it has binding on the fretboard.

12. NomeX

NomeX Member

Tough choice... the custom is a great price and the P-90 ones are hard to come by. I too vote buy both, flip the custom, and keep the P-90 one. I'm interested to see why there are rings on it, and the bridge is an upgrade from the one that came on my 1961 50th RI.

13. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I just sold one of those Customs for $450ish. Nice guitar, color is fantastic, pickups & neck were good. I was tempted to put a B7 on it & keep it. I wouldnt hesitate at that price.

That p90 one looks interesting. I know which model it is but someone looks to have ratted it up.

14. Supersonic Nomad

Supersonic Nomad New Member

Wow, an unbelievable price on that Custom! I have a 1997 Korean Epi SG Jr. P-90, great guitar. I Love P-90s. I put matched P-94's in my 2012 Gibby Standard. But, IF I had to pick one...the Custom. Maybe slowly but prices have went up on them and will slowly continue to do so. I've found a G400 Custom as well, great condition only thing changed is it has a black pickguard. The gold hardware is in great shape to. At $300, I think even that is a steal. I'm currently awaiting shipment.

15. Lunacy the Faded

Hey everyone the custom got bought up fast and also I missed out on a great epiphone 1955 custom.for 350 because of my **** job. I am going to order the p90 SG here's my favorite guitar that gets all the play 20180624_115113.jpg

Layne Matz likes this.
  16. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Havr you used any alternate tunigns before?

Eb (E flat) is a good starting place for fingerstyle. Open G is a great place to start with slide. Make sure you use .12s if you intend to use open G. Open G could work for funk I think. Its worth trying, as it can be such an attractive and free flowing way fornyou to play. People see a guitarist with glass tube on his finger- its something they probably havent seen too much* and it sounds good so they remember that experience.

Plus it helps to keep from getting bored eith your instrument, I play slide about 75% of the time(on my strat with a P94 in the bridge). When I dont feel like playing slide I switch to fingerstyle on my G400 SG until i dont feel like playing that anymore.

17. Lunacy the Faded

I used to be a big fan of using half step down and I always have 10s on my guitars. Now I'm in standard but I had used d standard for little while too. I have a brass slide but struggle with it and it's discouraging cause I can't do my licks really.. I'm probably just not a slide player and I saw Derek Trucks he's really great I don't understand it

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. Lunacy the Faded

I'm going to set my gibson SG special up for open G!! About getting that epiphone with the p90s I also spoke with a local owner of a nice epiphone 1960 tribute plus les paul and might buy that for 250 instead since it's local.. IF that doesn't happen I'm going to get the p90 SG

Layne Matz likes this.
  19. Lunacy the Faded

Hey there it's really nice I really fell in love once with a black one and passed on it but this cherry finish is just what it took to make me swoon. The black one was on craigslist for $200 and sold in days. This ones bridge is an aftermarket "bad ass" replacement. I read that the aftermarket stop tail bridges have high saddles so the action isn't good on them until you modify the posts to screw them in lower or something.. bone stock it would have the junior style "lightning" wraparound bridge

Worblehat likes this.
  20. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Dont look to Derek trucks to learn slide guitar. Not a good place to start at all because its way too complex and not as simplistically appealing. Definitely not something you can pick up and play like anyone else, slide gives you a unique voice.

I said 11s or 12s becaue I find that anything lower than 12s in Open G gets floppy and for slide you want tight strings. Fingerpicking is important but not essential, some peiple still play great slide with a pick- ref. Rory Gallagher.

If you have floppy strings and a low action guitar you will find yourself fighting agains these factors to make your slide playing sound good or the way you want it. Slide is best learned by using an open tunign and playing by ear. Some video guides help, and listenign to old roots blues really helps because they are the masters of how one should use the slide and from there you can go to extreme places like dereck trucks or duane allman have/would. Muddy waters is great if you want listen to electric slide blues, so is Mississippi Fred McDowell.

IME the ring finger gives best control, and if the slide feels too heavy then you need a lighter slide. I use the standard chrome Dunlop slides you get at guitar center, and they work just fine. They fit snugly over my ring finger.

Slide has many learning curves and things that throw people off so not as many people really get far into it. I started guitar with slide then later usrled my fingers, the oposite of most guitarists. Trust me when i say that getting the minor details of slide right will make a huge difference in how it sounds.

Again the best way to learn slide is to play with it like a toy that you modulate pitch with, and play by ear.

-Higher action but not too high
    -thicker than average gauge strings to accomodate loss of string tension by downtuning
    -a comfortable slide
    -a good ear for the blues and music in general
    -fingerpicking enables you to do a lot more
    -when playing electrically you will always need a lot more palm muting.
    -use the right tuning for what you are trying to play, different tunings are better for different keys.
    -listening to lots of old acoustic and early electric blues puts those licks in your head helps you reckognize them as yoy fiddle around with slide until it all becomes very clear and you know where the sounds are. And hpw you have to move to make them.
    -Realize that its like learning a different instrument, playimg slide requires a different set of movements and adifferent mindset than fingerstyle IMHO and life experiences.

If you learn how to modulate pitch with the slide and train your ear as well as hand to find the correct pitches you can play in almost any tuning and still find the sounds you want. You wont want to use only one tuning however, this will lead to dependancy on that tuning and your playing being less versatile in the long run.

Hope i dont irritate anyone but if someone wants to get into slide I have a lot of insight on the subject.

Plus, if you have guitars to spare you should really have a slide guitar and or baritone guitar. Maybe a sitar, maybe a mando, or a 12 string... Etc etc.

Pardon any typos

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018