Chewing the fat.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

My friend Lee is one of those women who stop aging while everyone around them continues on. We met when she was 16, seven months pregnant, homeless and had the chicken pox. I opened up my tool shed at a city park and there she was, sleeping on sacks of fertilizer, a gallon milk jug filled with water and a box of graham crackers sitting on the floor next to her. She woke up with a start, ready to flee as fast as her fevered, malnourished body would allow, but I calmed her down, gave her my cinnamon roll and chocolate milk and started tea. Almost 36 years later, she could easily pass for 30.
    A few years ago, she opened a small cafe that served basic American cuisine, but included a vegan menu. Her business thrived up until recently, when she put a notice in her menus that said, "Recent medical evidence shows that vegan diets are likely to lead to certain digestive and other issues. If you are vegan and experiencing bowel or sexual disorders, please see a doctor ASAP."
    This is neither a new nor radical claim. Most nutritionists have long cautioned vegans and vegetarians about these issues, while many if not most vegans and vegetarians have pooh-poohed such scientific concerns as politically or financially motivated.
    When pressed about the note in her menus, she asks regulars if they remember "Bruce" a gregarious blonde surfer type who was one of her first customers. Last year at 42, he died as a result of "leaky bowel" where toxins and microbes get absorbed through the blood stream through increased intestinal permeability. It can lead to inflammation in parts of the bowels and can cause greater health issues. In Bruce's case an auto-immune disease was exacerbated by his body's lactobacillus deficiency and resultant inability to digest fiber. His passing and a growing number of articles in medical and food journals prompted Lee's caution.
    When I was in the cafe yesterday, I noticed business seemed a little "slow."
    "Yeah, a few of the vegan cohort feel betrayed, I guess."
    "Over your concern for their well being? That's kind of dumb."
    "That and the fact I'm not vegan."
    Turns out that most of Lee's customers had assumed that she was vegan.
    They are somewhat shocked to find that she usually has a chocolate milkshake and fried egg and bacon sandwich for breakfast.
    "Well you'll still get the old fart cohort coming in for breakfast and lunch."
    "I just have to make sure enough of you guys make it to my retirement date.."
    She kissed me on the cheek and gave me a dish of peach cobbler, organic, I'm told.......

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    pancake81, Layne Matz and arcticsg like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I try to eat reasonably healthy. Exercise and keeping excess weight off reduces strain on your cardiac system and well obviously cholesterol levels that are causing buildup in your blood circulatory system are not good.

I did a couple of waves of trying to be a vegetarian over a couple of decades. Never lasted really long and to be honest as I recall usually there was a female vegan involved. I think keeping enough protein in your system is hard to do for vegans.

Interesting story ... I'm a little confused about "opening up your toolshed at a city park" means were you working for city park systems?

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Seems pretty self-explanatory, but yes, I worked as a gardener and maintenance worker, supervisor and trainer for the City of Sacramento for a long-time.
    "I think keeping enough protein in your system is hard to do for vegans."
    True, but the digestive issue is actually much more complicated and related to the bacterial balance of the gut wherein one's system no longer has the ability to process the fats and most of the fiber is stored as sugars in a constant cycle of fermentation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I guess "everything in moderation" is still a sensible way to lead one's life. Sad that the her vegan customers do not respect her personal dietary choices.

5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

All im going to say for now is that everyone has their own reasons for living one way or another. What works physically for one person sure as he'll wont work for every other, quite obviously due to vast genetic diversity. Ive been a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for 2 of those years. Im currently a vegetarian (not pescetarian). What sparked my initial change was seeing Food Inc in social studies class, then working on a few different factory style farms before working on small sustainable organic farms. The difference in the care and treatment of the animals was night and day. I broke down in tears when they were kicking baby calfs that wouldnt leave their mothers. The calfs are seperated in order to milk the post birth cow while they can. I advocate a very particular diet of my own, it works for me. This being said there are a ton of people who are vegan or vegetarian for pretencious reasons without realizing it. I personally cant even kill a fish, its too emotionally difficult... But I have shot at coyotes on many occasions because they are after my dogs. Self defense is different. (My dogs might as well be me)

P.S. I saw in a different thread you cover Me and My Uncle, thats awesome. Ive wanted to cover it except my bands so far havent been able to play it well enough- they havent been very dedicated. Would you happen to have anything recorded or on YouTube?

6. Biddlin

Nope, but I'll let you know if that changes.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Thanks

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I live in a household that focuses a lot on nutrition. I have always had the moderation attitude, and enjoy a good pint, but my wife life and study revolves around nutrition. I am thankful for it and reap all the benefits.

She has an extremely open mind and is up to date on the study’s and medical journals. But most importantly listens to her body. She has done the vegetarian diet (as have I 20 some odd years ago), but over the years we have honed our diet in to a T.

I suffered for ages with IBS, and with her in the kitchen along with probiotics and juicing, I haven’t had an issue in a decade.

Leaky bowel can be a serious thing, and many people suffer from it without knowing what is actually happening. They just blame it on the hot wings.

Do yourselves a favor and watch some well done documentaries (I am not referring to supersize me), or check out food matters tv (fmtv).