classic pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by softhackle, Jul 14, 2005.

1. softhackle

softhackle New Member

new sg classic owner here. been lurking around for a couple of months. i've really been enjoying my sg more than i expected. it always felt awkward when i would pick one up at the store, but i took the plunge anyway with the cost of a new classic.

is there any reason to consider any upgrades to a stock classic. i upgraded by LP with an electronics kit and a lightweight tailpiece from RS Guitarworks and I've been impressed with the tonal improvements it made to my LP.

I've mainly been curuios about pickups. Are the Fralin PU's a step up from the stock Gibson? If so, is there any modifications that must be made to the guitar to install them?

Thanks for your help, glad to be a full fledged member of the SG army now.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I personally like the tone from the stock Gibby p90s, but you might want to consider doing a reverse polarity mod so the two are hum cancelling when you use them together.

[move]Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! Greetings from the Staff...!!! [/move]

3. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

[size=40pt][move]WECOME[/move][/size]

Put your pin on the members map Softhackle. :)

4. hambucker

hambucker Member

The R/P mod would be a step up. Aside from Tonepros (only if you have the money to burn, litterally), I don't see anything you would need to do to a Classic. I was completely happy with mine tone-wise.

5. BandersnatchReverb

BandersnatchReverb Member

As SGM said "WECOME!"

6. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

As SGM and BandersnatchReverb said Velcome....... ^-^

7. ess

ess Guest

;D yup welmuck too.

keep an eye out for some vintage 90's on the bay, thats what id do with a classic IMHFO.

8. softhackle

softhackle New Member

thanks for the warm welcome. i've pinned my position the map. arkansas. what is involved in the reverse polarity mod. it would be nice to cancel the hum in the middle position. does it change the tone of the guitar at all? thanks.

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG softhackle! :) :) :)