Coil splitting,useful or not?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Biddlin, Jan 9, 2020.

?

Do you use the coil splitter?

1. yes

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. rarely

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. not at all

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I think the ones in my g400 pro sound great as does the JB Trembucker in my Cort, both havr 50s style wiring. The trembucker sounds like a very hot single when split.

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

After several days of experimenting I've found what to my ears is the best option for this HSS Strat style setup. Starting with the neck single coil and disregarding suggested height measurements, i set the neck and middle S/C to their optimum height based solely on tone and even output between the 2. That took care of the 5, 4 and 3 positions on the 5 way. Then with the bridge humbucker split, found that same sweet spot and balanced the output pretty well between all 3. Now it has a pretty standard Strat sound in position 1 and 2. If I want a considerable boost in volume and a fat tone, I can switch the bridge pickup back to humbucker mode which is kind of like having Clapton Strat with the built in Db boost. Now I just have to figure out how to play with a middle pick up that always feels like it's in the way....

3. Kraftybob

Kraftybob Member

For me it depends on the guitar. I wouldn't coil split a Humbucker type guitar (LP, SG, etc.), but I do coil split my Strat. I converted it from a SSS to HSS and coil split the humbucker in one of two ways: Push/push pot while in position 1 to give me single coil or humbucker, and when I switch to position 2 it automatically splits the humbucker so it's single coil bridge and middle pickup so I get that Strat "quack".

Someone mention series/parallel and this I have on my PRS. Very happy with this setup as well.

4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

5. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

If you want something interesting and useful, go with having your coils in the pickup on a switch to go between series/parallel.

Filtertrons have their coils wired like this.

And any 4 wire humbucker can pull off the series/parallel sonic vibe. But you’ve got to purpose build a good sounding split coil humbucker.

6. axemanv90

axemanv90 New Member

You bet. With a few mods, I got my SGZs sounding very close to a Strat. Use it a lot. A no-load tone pot or rotary tone switch with an "off" position helps a lot.

One trick you can try: Instead of splitting the pickup direct to ground, you can use a 1K - 4K resistor from the coil split to ground. This energizes the 2nd coil a small amount, widens the magnetic field, fattens it a little and increases the output. A good place to start is 1K on the neck pup and 2k on the bridge pup. Lower output pups might need higher resistance and vice versa.