Collector's choice series?!?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Plan Zero, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

rotorhead likes this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Plan Zero likes this.
  3. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

This is nuts. I'd want more than Frampton's signature. Peter better come alive in my living room for $20k.

58pit and SG standard like this.
  4. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

Hey now, that Frampton one does have the most authentic speed knobs and switch washer, you know. You just don't see those every day...

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

hah, and we were just having a thread about whether Les Pauls were
    over priced or not. *shrugs

As my dad the Statistician used to say:

THAT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU PUT YOUR ZERO...

58pit and rotorhead like this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Plan Zero likes this.
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Let's face it, these guitars are made for a very specific, very narrowly defined consumer. Gibson has plenty of offerings for players that are in the "normal" price ranges, but these things are for collectors and Gibson has no trouble selling every one of them that they build.

rotorhead and SG standard like this.
  8. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

rotorhead likes this.
  11. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

I happen to thinks it's a beautiful guitar, BUT, even if I had the CASH, I wouldn't buy it.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd have spent that kind of money even if I'd won one of those 1/2 billion dollar plus lotteries that just paid out.

13. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

shocked by the price ??? priced a new car lately ?? what new prices don't shock ..

14. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Cars are and have always been one of the few things you should never buy brand new. The depreciation starts the minute you leave the lot. I have three cars, one of which is a fully built 96 Eagle Talon. The car is a beast and looks immaculate. That car was $22k new. After all the work I've put into her (she was bone stock when I found her for $2k-blue book value) combined with all the work/upgrades of all three cars STILL doesn't add up to the cost of a new car, or even a newer Evo or WRX for that matter.

The guitar is a different animal. The people who buy these are people with money to throw around on "reproduction" collectibles. I collect lots of things but I scoff at replicas unless they're super cheap. I don't think the average player would scrape up the dough to spend $10-20k on a fake ass guitar. I could be wrong. Maybe there really is that super die hard Frampton fan. Back when fender came out with relics for the first time I didn't think anyone would buy them (they cost more than non relic) but I guess I was wrong cuz they're still making em. Meanwhile you have another guy obsessing for hours over which guitar he's buying from Sweetwater because of an invisible scratch.
    One of he first things I learned about marketing many moons ago is that the consumer is generally stupid and you have to remove common sense from the equation when it comes to ridiculously priced products. Just when you think "Who would buy that?" someone comes along with chump change and buys it without thinking twice.

Personally I am consistently shocked by how cheap stuff is nowadays since the emergence of online marketplaces. I look at all my stuff and think about all the amazing deals I got because of online shopping. Even 10 years ago prices were considerably more. Since China devalued their currency it's only getting better (or worse depending on your perspective); I keep thinking it will end soon. For a relevant example I found my Maestro guitar for $52 (regularly $160) just because I bought online on black Friday. It's funny because gas, milk, etc prices have gone up but in general products are made much cheaper and can be found for much less if you take a few minutes to look.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. bobbiehart2013

speaking of GASP!!! ... a ten thousand dollar guitar ... I went to a dealer to ask about the Ford Raptor 4x4 Pick-Up .... here in Canada they start at 69K. Ford U.S.A. has announced they have a consumer pick-up that will break the $100,000.00 mark for the first time ever .... the Collectors Choice guitar is no more an "Insane" purchase than a nice truck ... sign of the times ... people buy this kind of stuff every day

Plan Zero likes this.
  16. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Well when you get in to the special models a lot of buyers really expect to own the vehicle for the rest of their lives, which is how it should be really.
    I just think it's amusing to see "collectibles" whether cars or guitars; they're very similar when it comes to blue book values. Some people really buy a product thinking it will appreciate in value just because of the passage of time. I see late model Gibsons on CL all the time going for less than whatever the MSRP was when bought new. Today's market is saturated with "collectors" thinking their mint condition SG will be worth double in 30 years, when you have hundreds or thousands of people thinking the same thing. The only reason vintage guitars or cars are worth as much is because of the rarity, and the fact there weren't as many collectors when they came out. I remember as a kid collecting comic books, I had valuable comics but they were theoretically worthless to me because I couldn't sell them.
    The world is completely different now, and I totally agree if it's made people will buy it. There's probably some rich sheik in Dubai jamming out with a heil talk box to match his Frampton special.

Sorry for the long posts guys, too much coffee this morning:shock:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

People will pay up for the things they want, and during fad waves, they'll pay up for things they don't really want but think they have to have lol.

It's their money and you can't blame any company for capitalizing on the waves.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Exactly.

19. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

I can understand people going after originals, but paying that much for a copy? Not me, anyway.

20. bobbiehart2013

we are not allowed to mention store names or websites I presume ?? anyway, there is a store close to home that sells Riter ? or Ritter guitars, brand new, not vintage, they currently have two in stock, the "cheapie" is $19,999.99 and the more expensive model is being offered for the paltry sum of $39,995.99 ... they are mounted about 12 feet high to discourage test pilots ... LOL