Competition for My SGs Is Getting Tight

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by poppunk, Jul 17, 2019.

1. poppunk

poppunk Member

I'm starting to fear for my SGs.

I have two SGs (a 2001 Special and a 2011 Standard, both in uncommon finishes). I've been playing the 2001 since I got it new in 2002 and got my hands on the 2011 Standard last year (after two years of looking for a Pelham Blue one with full face guard and a round, thicker neck profile).

My 2001 Special has a lot of miles on it, it was my only serious guitar for a very long time. I play the Standard a lot for practice/shows, it's just awesome. The Standard is magical and looks cool.

But I also have a Yamaha Revstar RS820CR that gets played a lot. In one of my bands I have to bounce between two guitars for standard/half-step down tunings. I use the Revstar for one and the SG Standard for the other.

Sometimes in my other band I'll play my Jaguar or my Revstar, but I mostly play one of my SGs.

Last week I was in Chicago, went to Chicago Music Exchange, and played a bunch of guitars for fun. I picked up an EBMM Stingray, and it was magic. Straight up magic. I avoided buying it (because, expensive), then I get home and someone has a used one listed on Craigslist for 1/3rd the price of a new one (if I believed in fate, this would be fate). I checked it out, it was amazing, and bought it. I'm still floored by this model.

It's gonna get played, a lot. And probably at the expense of my SGs to some extent. What is happening to me?

I still haven't figured out how to play the Les Paul I got off some sweet deal properly, though. I think I just like doublecuts/offsets.

<RAMBLING COMPLETE>

Chubbles likes this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Whatever you do stay away from the PRS guitars.

Bad things happen to Gibson guitars playing times when the first PRS comes in the door. Then the second one yikes ...

Great Rambling though!!!

Seriously the most important thing is keeping playing time going. If a new guitar keeps or increases playing time then it's all good for you. The guitars may be somewhat emotionally damaged ... but will keep the faith ... as long as you don't sell them off!!

3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Nothing is wrong with you. You discovered your need and you liked a Stingray. They are good guitars. This is completely ok. I am an SG addict. But I love Jackson guitars too and I own one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I'm a gear slut. If it sounds good and plays good at a good price, it'll work. Sometimes a guitar clicks and inspires me to play and be creative, especially when it's different from my previous ones. Sometimes it's just a pedal (especially fuzzes). Don't give it a second thought, just play the field.

Remember, the one who dies with the most guitars wins. Right?
    jk

GrumpyOldDBA likes this.
  5. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Maybe you should go and see a doctor...or an exorcist. Something is seriously wrong with you!

But seriously: How do you like the Revstar compared to your SGs? Does it weight much more due to the maple cap? I recently started to crave for a RS502T (the one with P90s) and want to try it some day. If it feels good, I am not sure anymore if my next guitar is going to be an SG...

6. poppunk

poppunk Member

Luckily I don't like PRSs. I kind of like how they play, but most of their necks are a little too wide feeling for me. But most of it is cosmetic; I don't like pointy headstocks and figured wood (really like solid colors). I'm okay with how some of the S2s look but I haven't been especially enamored with the feel, so I guess I'm lucky. They are great guitars, just not my thing, at least yet.

One of the reasons I ended up with the Revstar is it is a lot like an SG to me (crazy upper fret access), especially once I moved the strap button to the heel. The necks tend to be a little thicker but I don't think they're too much for most players (it seems like the shoulders are not clunky).

It's flat and I like that. I do have a LP Studio and it just feels like a ball of clunk. Joint contour at the neck, belly cut, arm cut, it's ergonomic. I don't even like carved tops; I really like the flat cap.

I had to do a complete fret job to get the action as low as I want it. I like to get it stupid low. I wouldn't say the fretwork was bad, but it could have been better.

The nut was garbage. Even with properly cut slots and lubrication it still wasn't good at keeping tune. I replaced it with a GraphTech TUSQ and it holds tuning perfectly now. If you get one I'd plan on replacing the nut. And it's a little frustrating on a guitar that retails for $1,000 (I got mine used for $600, but still). I expect that on an a cheap import guitar, but the more expensive ones usually have better nuts.

The TonePros wraparound bridge on mine was hard to get used to and kind of complicated to adjust, but once it's set it's not going to move.

I can't remember what the weight was exactly on the Revstar (probably on the low-mid 8 pound range), but it's closer to a chambered/weight relieved Les Paul than a typical SG. My SG Standard is super light, and my Special is kind of heavier; it's still heavier than that. It's not uncomfortable, and it's not near the Gretsch I have which is around 10 lbs.

Overall, it's probably staying forever. I've had some guitars I've sold out when I've gotten other ones, but it's too damn good to get rid of.

Worblehat likes this.
  7. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Revstar! In the end I really have to try one in person. I like the weight of SGs so I don't know if the Revstar will be comfortable for me. I don't think I have a preference towards flat or curved top guitars but I prefer the feel of guitars with a neck angle, because it raises the bridge. As far as I can see, the Revstar has a straight neck...

8. poppunk

poppunk Member

The Revstar neck is angled in the pocket, just not as much as any of my Gibsons. The Revstars either have Tune-o-Matic style bridges or wraparounds, and you have to have enough of an angle to get enough space to get the bridge in there.

Worblehat likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Ernie Ball or Music Man?

Guitar or bass?

Yes, call a doctor... quickly :smile:

10. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Someday, after you don't play your SG for awhile....you will pick it up again and love it again. It's a just a thing guitarists tend to do. I've owned easily over 100 guitars, not at one time....I always play things I would never consider.....until I play it. Just the way it is for a real guitar lover.

Chubbles likes this.
  11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I used to not like PRS either.
    Now I have 3 of them, all S2s, all very good guitars.

Attached Files: