connecting guitar to garagband on iphone?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jtcnj, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

i got garageband for ios on an ipone 5s.
    The phone and sound, mp3 player, and earbuds work fine. I got my tinnitus from them.

I have tried a couple of different guitars and the input registers pretty low to about the middle of the input signal indicator.

The output is so low from the earbuds it is unusable, you can just tell there is some sound coming out.
    I do have the monitor option selected, and have explored the output, master volume, all the controls on some of the amp.

I'm using a cable that has a 1/4"guitar jack, an 1/8" jack to plug into the earbud port on the iphone and a female 1/8" to plug in the earbuds. Its not a Griffen but same thing.

Any clues on how to troubleshoot this or the cable?

Do I need to put a boost pedal in front of it?

2. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I do not know about iPhones, but you normally need an audio interface of some sort between your guitar and your computer. Maybe iPhones work the same way.

3. Blues Jam

Blues Jam New Member

Did you resolve the problem? If not, pics of the cable rig would be helpful. I don't exactly understand an adapter that has three jacks.

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Not resolved. The input is so low you can barely hear it, with the source input turned up , monitor is on but it is noisy so the noise gate level is up pretty high too.
    I tried a clean boost pedal ahead of the iphone but no good.
    I may try an Irig2, I havent found much feedback on people using garageband on iphone. its all Mac and Ipad in the searches.

The cable is another brand, but basically the same as this:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...9t822P7C5aaiblp0q_1IPRk76fcbPox-N8aAgxo8P8HAQ

5. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I've used the Apogee Jam with my iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, and MacBook with good results on all of them. I use my phone with headphones or a Bluetooth speaker when I check out Craig's List deals or sometimes when jamming with an acoustic player.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam

6. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I use the Apogee Jam too. I also use an ART dual pre with a camera/USB adapter...among other things. The Jam is great, easy to use, and can even handle a dynamic mic with a proper adapter. The dual pre is very cool too, and as a bonus, it can provide phantom power with a 9volt battery, and power condenser mic's.
    Works for me.
    Best of luck!