Converted from being a Les Paul player (NGD)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Fillypino Fried, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Fillypino Fried

Fillypino Fried New Member

I've always wanted an SG. I've wanted one since the day I've started playing guitar and seeing Angus Young and Tony Iommi play those bad boys. I loved how they looked, they're pretty much Satan in guitar form.

Unfortunately, I've always had the incentive to buy a Les Paul. And, granted, I've also wanted a Les Paul, and I like how they looked and played as well. And so I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in plaintop cherry sunburst. I loved it. The looks, the weight, and the tone it had. The mojo was there for the classic rock and traditional metal stuff I was playing at the time.

And then I started GASing for a Flying V. I bought a cheap but nice Hamer Vector XT in red. And then I suddenly realized how much I missed having that upper fret access from my Yamaha superstrat. My taste in music and guitar playing gradually switched from classic rock to more shreddy 80s thrash/death metal stuff, so I guess such thing was inevitable. A few months later, I bought a lovely Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer. Again, it had the upper fret access, but it also had the overall chunk of the Les Paul without the excess chunk of the real thing. I could play thick metal rhythm guitars on it while also being able to play my admittedly-horrible shredding comfortably.

And then the Les Paul just sat there, with strings rusting and dust gathering in its gigbag. I've always had the incentive to sell it for something else, but my mind also says that I should have at least one Les Paul in my collection. Then again, what for if I barely play it anyway?

So, I rekindled my old GAS of an SG. I put up my LP for sale on the FB Marketplace and then found a cherry red G-400 Pro. It was listed at $280, but the seller reduced it to only $230 as I was a sure buyer. A day later, I got the guitar, and, yep, my interest in LPs is pretty much done for now. I still love my Explorer and V and I will keep playing those boys, but man this SG is just amazing to play all kinds of stuff on.

I know a lot of metal players use Les Pauls as well and can shred on it (Alex Skolnick, one of the tastiest shredders I've come across, being one of them), but those people are gods among men, and I'm just a 19 year old guy sitting in front of a computer. Also, the comfort and fret access of an SG is just amazing. Tone isn't any different from my LP for the most part either, aside from the brighter EQ of the Alnico Classic Pro's vs the Alnico Classics on the LP. And if you're playing with tons of gain, the differences check out even more.

Attached Files:

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Congratulations, and welcome to the club!
    First bit of advice is to save some money, and find the best tech you can, and spend the 60-100 they charge for a setup. It will be worth it.
    Secondly, save some money, and trash those pickups and push/pull pts, and get some real pickups. The Epi's are ok. You don't want just "ok" now do you? I put in a Duncan 59 in the neck, and a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my 2012 SG Pro, and it made a WORLD of difference.

Fillypino Fried and ventura like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I love my LP its my dream guitar since I was a kid, its a 57 reissue goldtop, feels and sounds like no other guitar in the world, the only drawback is its so heavy, that's why my SG Standard has become my #1. :yesway:

4. ventura

ventura Member

I have an R7 too. I’ll never part with it. But my nice light SG’s get more play:smile:

pedecamp and Fillypino Fried like this.
  5. Fillypino Fried

Thanks everyone! It's great to be part of the SG gang. ;)

I'll definitely get it setup. I feel like the fret dressing could be slightly better. Also, for some reason, the treble side of the TOM bridge is slightly raised above the post and not level with it like with my other Epi guitars. I'll check it out the next time I change strings.

Been looking to replace the Alnico Classic Pro's with Seymour Duncan Black Winters or a Custom set for the high gain stuff. But, to be honest, these ACPs sound like the Burstbucker 1&2s on my Thunderhorse, except with a lot more balls in the palm mutes. Guess I know what pickups to replace my Thunderhorse with as well. :D

ventura likes this.
  6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Welcome to the family! I also was in your situation. For years, I played LP. But because of Iommi, my SG GAS never ended. New and used Guitar Market is not so rich in my country. After a long chasing, the day I bought a 2nd hand Epi Iommi, LP finished for me. My back is thankful too :D

Still, I have a lightweight, pretty 90's Gibson Nighthawk and a Jackson. But a good SG was what I've been lookin' for years. Keep to save your money and buy a good 2nd hand Gibson SG Faded. They were my 2nd main target as the Iommi SG alternative. 50's fat, Les Paulish but comfortable to play neck will take you to another dimension. My fingers are small but I felt comfortable with SG Faded models. IMO, more comfortable than Epi SG-Pro necks.

7. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Very nice collection of cool guitars! Thanks for the photos. I am curious how much you are going to play the other guitars in the long run, now that you have the SG. I haven't touched my other guitar since I got my Epiphone SG. And now I am GASing for a second one...preferably an inexpensive Gibson SG with faded finish. Just like HackeIommi.

Oh...and I would give those Epiphone humbuckers a chance. Keep them for a while. If you like them, there is no need to buy other more expensive pickups.

ventura likes this.
  8. Fillypino Fried

Thanks fam!

I'll definitely look out for SG Fadeds out there once I get enough money. I can find them somewhere between $550-650 consistently. :naughty: Another option would also be those MIJ copy brands (Edwards, Tokai, Burny, etc.), if I ever fancy getting something close to an SG Standard without spending a whole lot. But I do like the feeling of the Fadeds, so I'll see. ;)

P.S. Your Epi Iommi SG is hot! \m/ I'm lowkey GASing for one as we speak. D: Also, what Jackson do you have?

Thanks!

I'll still be playing my V and Explorer for sure, especially for recording my metal stuff. But I can tell I'll be playing the SG more in general. And that I'll be buying another one in the next two years. :naughty: The Les Paul will be going though, sadly. I just don't see a 'need' for it anymore. =/

The Alnico Classics Pro's are really good, IMHO. They sound pretty close to the Burstbucker 1&2s on my Thunderhorse Explorer. The ACPs sound just maybe a tad bit bitier and tighter than the BBs (probably because of the Alnico 5 vs Alnico 2 magnets). Still not quite my type in high gain (so are the Burstbuckers), but if I ever replace them, I'll keep them for a project guitar or something. :D The old Alnico Classics on my '07 Epi LP sound monstrous under high gain, but they kinda suck at everything else, so I'm kinda glad with the direction of how Epiphone is doing their pickups right now.

ventura and HackeIommi like this.
  9. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Many thanx! That Iommi saved my life like a barrel of water in the middle of a desert. I even stopped looking for a Gibson SG.

My Jackson is a simple Japanese HSS Dk-2 loaded with Seymour Duncans. Found the Duncans very cheap by change.

ventura and Fillypino Fried like this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true, the R7 lives in its case and I pull it out on occasion and LOVE it to pieces, the SGs are on a stand so they are grab and go. :yesway:

cerebral gasket and ventura like this.
  11. ventura

ventura Member

+1 on the Faded Specials. I got two. ...So should that be +2? ;)

pedecamp likes this.
  12. Fillypino Fried

Those MIJ Jackson are some hot stuff for sure. Been particularly looking for an MIJ KV5 or Rhoads for a while. But I guess I'll prioritize on getting a nice Gibson SG Faded or equivalent. :naughty:

ventura likes this.
  13. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Yes! Why not? :thumb:

IMO, SG first :naughty: You can find an old good Japanese Jackson with a fair price everytime.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. gypsyseven

gypsyseven New Member

Congrats man!

Fillypino Fried likes this.
  15. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

I don't know why anyone needs to convert, really. It's not a religion or a political party, ffs. I have several different body types with different neck types, and I like them all. Each one puts me into a different kind of mood and makes me want to play particular songs and styles more than others. I have an Epi SG, Epi LP, PRS McCarty, PRS SE245, Jackson Soloist, Esoterik DR1, ESP ltd V and F (my first decent guitar). idk, sometimes I like ones more than others, but I never really think "if only this was more like that".
    It's okay to be a . . . polyguitarist? idk

16. Fillypino Fried

You have a point, though. One thing I love about electric guitars is how many shapes, construction types, neck profiles, and pickups configurations are there. It's amazing how even though they are all technically the same instrument, they too can be considered as wholly different from each other.

I love all shapes too, including Les Pauls. But, I don't know, I'm also more of a player, not a collector, so I guess the guitars that I like the most will stay and the ones that I play the least will go. I live in a small condominium unit too, so having a lot of guitars isn't ideal for me. Besides, I love my Hamer V and Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer as much as I love my Epi G-400, so I will definitely stay a polyguitarist. :D

Maybe if I find a really nice Les Paul, I would buy one again. :naughty:

P.S. I want to see your PRSes and LTD V tho. :D

Worblehat and Beery Swine like this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

No one needs to convert, in order to be welcome here
    that's for sure. Lots of us have other guitars we play,
    but are willing to acknowledge that the SG can work its
    way into our hearts in a way that other guitars seldom
    do.

Me, I play acoustic and bass as well as electric, so
    I don't stick with one style or genre, and I don't listen
    to only one kind of music. I think of guitars as regards
    the songs I want their tone with. I absolutely LOVE the
    diversity that's available to us players right now.

IMHO we are living in a golden age... where so many tonal
    variations are right at our feet, or behind us on wheels, or
    in our hands, or in an iPad clamped to the mic stand. *grins

So I don't think you need to sell yer Les Paul, you may come
    back around and want that sound again soon. Me, I am longing
    to play my Epi ES-339 again. I 'fostered" her with a good friend
    because I had to move and didn't know how many guitars I'd
    have room for in the new place. I miss this one now,
    I named her Caledonia.
    Caledonia 2016@100.jpg