Cooked pot?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Dave_Death, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Okay so I swapped the wiring harnesses in my SG Standard and SG Special Worn Yellow yesterday. The Standard now has the factory harness that came in the WY guitar and the WY guitar has the custom '50s wired harness that has been in the Standard for the last three years. I had some problems on both of them getting the bridge ground wire to solder on to the back of the pot and while the Standard seems to have come out of it okay I think I have either cooked the neck tone pot on the custom harness or gotten solder in there somewhere where it should be and shorted something out. The pot did get quite hot, into the shaft, but it still turns as per normal and doesn't feel 'crunchy' or 'notchy'

When I first plugged it in I was getting a very week signal on the neck pickup, and then a little while later nothing at all. Does this sound like a cooked pot??

The bridge BKP Warpig sounds amazing with the change to the custom harness (and from a 300K to a 500K pot), while the BKP Cold Sweat in the Standard sounds less bright (which in this case is a good thing) although pinch harmonics aren't as strong.

2. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Could be a bad ground. Put a meter on the far sides of the pot terminals and spin. If you do not get a reading, up and down, it is cooked. If you do, it is something else.

frankd and Dave_Death like this.
  3. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Only in brownies .

RVA likes this.
  4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

OR butter....its good in butter.....

5. Dave_Death

I had a proper look at it with the multimeter last night, and while the volume pot seems to be okay I wasn't sure what kinds of readings I was supposed to be getting from the tone pots or where the test points were

Then I discovered that the lead from the neck pot to the selector switch had snapped off at the switch terminal. Most likely explains my problem!! I will have to clean out that bit of wire and strip back what's left of the rest and resolder it today. Hopefully it works. I want to use this guitar for the gig on Saturday and I actually use (shock, horror!) the neck pickup for one part of one song ...

6. Dave_Death

So, I just discovered that that white mil-spec wire is pretty much impossible to work with in terms of stripping it back. I will have to contact the guy who sold me the harness and ask him to send me some replacement wire

7. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, is the white wire the cloth covered type? If so it may be the "push back" type stuff, instead of stripping you just push the cloth covering back to expose the wire. Hope this helps. Cheers