Cork sniffer allergies content, read with mask and sunglasses on.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DrBGood, May 9, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I dunno man the reviews are rather brutal.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Is the glass half full or half empty ? I do read some great reviews there too.

I'll see, if they are crap, they'll go back, but I'm an optimist. We'll see.

3. DrBGood

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Like a pair of properly broken in blue jeans!

DrBGood likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

That's always the case, reviews are based on price not on the actual guitar. Or at least not on the guitar after a proper setup -- the original setup is only roughed in at the factory. And they review on a crappy amp. Catch 22 all around.

OP: I like the path you are on! Check out the 'breja toneworks dan armstrong blender' youtube video. That DAB mod is just rewiring so no new parts and converts the second tone knob into a blender to go from SSS->HSH even if you only want to just thicken the Strat-like coils (I know you like P90s). Quite a useful change. I like a 4-way on a Tele too.

If you want to do some upgrades that will make you smile and not cost much, get a bourns volume pot, an oakgrigsby switch, and switchcraft output jack. All of which might be $18 universal monetary units or less with good shopping. These changes will make the guitar feel as good interacting with it as those one and two k guitars. A fret level/crown/polish will go further in that direction but maybe your frets are ok.

Chunky neck is so great to have. "Thin fast" necks make my hands cramp.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Who's talking about a guitar? We were talking about some cheap tuners Doc bought.

7. DrBGood

Good thing he thought you were talking about the guitar. Made him give me some good clues.

Thanks jvin248, I'll look into it.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Hey Doc, I was on YouTube and this was in my recommended videos.

Naturally, I thought of this thread.

9. DrBGood

Thanks Rayin. I did notice that the butt end of the neck is curved and the pocket end is ... kind of square on mine. But the side to side fit is very tight. So ... How much sustain am I loosing ? Not enough to make this $40 guitar a dud.

So ... I just strung her up with the old tuners on, couldn't wait anymore. Since I shimmed the neck, I had to raise each saddle. The benefit is that the hex key screw heads are now flush with the top of said saddles. Real smooth.

Intonation is in the ball park. It'll get it tweaked when new tuners arrive.

Neck is great. Good thing, since that's why I bought the guitar.

The pups are real nice, very Stratty. Bridge and middle just don't want too much dirt though, they'll yell at me if so. Got plenty of other guitars that take gain well. I might just keep it as is for clean single coil tone ... for now.

It doesn't just look like denim, it already feels like an old pair of jeans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Simple and free thing to try. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. What's it hurt to try?
    :cheers:

11. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Nice guitar, I have played many JT's over the years and some of them can be very decent guitars. I specifically was looking for a Tele type and almost bought one. My only issue was it was a bit heavy, no other reason. I do have a bad back, so I am niot saying it was unusually heavy, just too heavy for me at the time.