Couple very basic questions......

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by living room rocker, Oct 6, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Question #1- I occasionally see videos of you guitarists setting in your studios with headphones on practicing your craft. This obviously allows for silent listening of your instrument. If you wish to practice with the aid of a backing track, music video, etc......are you using the amps "aux in" feature to add background accompaniment? You use your phone, laptop, mp3?

Question #2- What do you guitarists do, if anything, to address your fingertip callouses? Mine get gnarly at times and catch on frets, sometimes also interfering with smooth string bends. You ever file them down?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I generally just plug my POD XT into my PC, and then I can play backing tracks alongside my guitar. I don't like playing through phones though. I use speakers, but very quietly - you can't hear me through a closed door.

For the second question, I don't know why, but I just don't get callouses, so I can't help.

living room rocker likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

For quiet headphone practice I use my THR and either plug my laptop in via USB or sometimes my phone via the 1/8" aux in.

I don't get callouses either, just tougher fingertips, so not an issue I can help with.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don't currently have an amp and sold off all my gear years ago taking a break from playing for a little over 10 years. My current setup is as follows:

Guitar
    Kemper Profiler
    Focusrite 2i2
    Desktop Computer
    Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
    Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

The Kemper Profiler provides all my amp and speaker cabinet emulation and is connected to the computer via the Focusrite 2i2. I practice and record using Logic Pro X on the computer with headphones and will sometimes use the studio monitors.

Backing tracks are imported or created in Logic Pro X as separate tracks. For songs that are already composed, I find Guitar Pro files and export the bass and drum tracks as midi files. The midi files get imported into Logic Pro X as separate tracks. EZ Drummer plug-in is used to sequence the Drum track and the EXS24 Sampler to sequence the Bass track. Rhythm and Lead Guitar tracks are recorded separately. For effects, the plug-ins from Logic Pro X are used which include Channel EQ, Delay, Reverb, Modulation (Chorus & Phaser). I use no foot pedals as all switching on/off of effects is done using Track Automation.

Using a Low Pass Shelf EQ in the 3000-5000 Hz range on the Guitar tracks eliminates the high frequency "Bees in a Can".

I don't experience fingertip callouses when playing everyday.

5. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Wow.....sounds elaborate.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The hardware setup is fairly minimal and straightforward.
    For on the go jams, I use a little Blackstar Fly 3 amp and plug a retired phone with backing tracks into the "MP3/LINE IN".

7. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

I am predominately an acoustic player and my calluses are so thick I actually have no feeling in my fingertips. Like you, I snag strings and frets, and also leave deposits on my fretboard.

An emery board used for fingernails is in every one of my cases. Just smooth the rough spots off and it’s smooth sailing!