Craigslist

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by koaguilds, Jul 12, 2019.

1. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

You list something for sale on Craigslist. Then you get multiple email inquiries asking "still for sale?" or "still available?"... to which you reply yes and would you like to buy? Yet you never hear a word from them again.

Has anyone else here experienced this and what is going on? Is it some sort of phising scheme or what?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

What I do is first and last line in posting will read, “If you see this posting , guitar is still available. Posting will be removed when sold.”

People will still ask if available, but I ignore those replies because they will usually follow with lowball offers.

rotorhead, Voxman and koaguilds like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Maybe they're trying to sell the same item and seeing if it sold at your price.

Voxman and koaguilds like this.
  4. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I dunno exactly but I thought craigslist was like removed or abolished because of prostitution etc. Maybe someone else bought it out though not sure. Shoot I have not heard that name in a long time.

I don't even use eBay for much but as far as I know reverb and to some extent eBay are the sites most of the used guitar and equipment marketplace operates on.

Best luck!

koaguilds likes this.
  5. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Well, here is kinda Craiglist sites too. I am also getting this kind of messages. Whomever I reply "Yes", %99 are not returning. I think they are just boring and spending their time online by looking at things and noodling idiots.

rotorhead and koaguilds like this.
  6. Biddlin

7. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Tell you what you send me an iTunes gift card for 500 bucks in the mail and I will get it for ya.

I'm not a Speed Demon player ( yikes never heard of them ha ha ) I think this one below I like a lot better anyhow?

IMG_0874.jpg

8. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Years ago, it was some kind of scam (I don't remember the scam)....anyway...last week I had a PRS USA Singlecut S2 for sale. It did not sell on reverb previously (although I did get some offers, but too low for what it was). Anyway, after just a few days some one wrote to me..."still available?". I usually ignore those, but this time I simply replied "yes". Sold it to him the next day for full price. So, you never know I guess.

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Nah, CL never went away. What happened, basically, was that a court recently ruled that websites could be liable in sex trafficking cases if they happened to be caught up in the middle of such cases by virtue of their Personals sections.

In other words, let's say some weirdo met and abused / murdered a girl that he happened to meet online via a personals ad. The court said the website could also be liable under such conditions, etc.

Many sites (craigslist being one of the more visible) almost immediately took down their personals sections of the sites in response to the ruling.

CL remains as it was, although now somewhat with lower membership numbers these days due to the fact that many used it for that purpose.

10. rotorhead

However, in terms if usefulness, the CL listings in my area are pretty worthless lol. There's rarely anything that catches my eye and for the most part the listings are from music stores or pawnshops who mask their posts with crappy pics and backdrops to make it look like it's an individual that is making the ads.

11. Biddlin

I noticed that when I was in S.Fl recently. Some good stuff in Miami pawn shops, though. I spotted a vintage Epiphone Emperor at a pretty good price, $4200, more than I could afford, but good for vintage pricing. Also spotted a lot of National/Supro amps around the area. Wouldn't move there for the guitars, though. Is everyone in S.Fl depressed or was I there at a bad time? Everyone I talked to seemed put out to be alive.

12. rotorhead

It's probably just burnout from all of the bath salts and other weird drugs they do down there.