Custom SG- work in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Layne Matz, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Haha, reminds me of when I was a kid and we used to cut out "guitars" from cardboard or plywood. We painted our faces like Kiss and mimed along to their records.:D

Sp8ctre likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

Those were the days...

Honestly though this should look really nice by the time I get done with it. Im also working on 3 other bodies and multiple wood working projects and some home renovations. I rough cut the shape with a Jigsaw, and will be cutting the rest with a spindle sander at my neighbors shop...this is just what I could get done from home.

The beauty of free wood... I went through and got the driest most aesthetically and audibly ideal pieces. Its not traditional but it will do.
    I dont have any parts yet, particularly a truss rod, nut, fret wire, and tuners. I do have a spare stoptail bridge and tunomatic, but thats about it. All other parts will have to be purchased later on when I have any money to spare.

Gahr likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Planned features:
    3x single coils, I havent decided what kind yet- either P90s or Strat pups.

3x concentric tone and volume knobs
    3x on off switches(one for each pickup)

High end PRS minimalist style headstock with some type of decent tuners.

Washers as locking straps.
    Tunomatic, strat stoptail (without the saddles)
    Will be stained a brown hue of some sort.

5. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

Looking forward to progress here. Did you joint the 2x4s at all? What type of glue did you use? What is the neck wood?

Cheers Peter.

6. Layne Matz

No joints, just thoroughly sanded to 440 grit and used Titebond original. No clue what the neck wood is. Its all salvaged wood. The darker colored piece in the neck is remarkably dense. I wouldnt be able to afford traditional woods even if I really wanted them. Ill try my luck with mystery wood. I loved the pictures in your thread, I look forward to seeing the turnout!

7. Layne Matz

Just found out that the wood I used was oak, southern yellow pine, and some unknown hardwood that came out of a 30 yearold barn on the lower 'wing'. All of the wood is from tree trunk cores, as it was salvaged from old dried up pallets.

8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hmmmm interesting ... i have no relevant experience but still have questions.

First has the wood been re humidified somehow like been left out for a while somewhere with controlled humidity like 50 percent? Otherwise seems like it may eventually change and move in different directions?

Second should you consider a couple long extended metal cross bolts sideways through the three pieces of wood?

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

Jointing means flattening with a jointer or planer. It flattens wood to be able to join it well. Did you start sanding with a really coarse grit like 60 or 80 and work your way up to 440? 440 is actually overkill as it is too fine a grit and would actually hurt the glue sticking together because it is too smooth.

I would recommend some basic woodworking books and maybe something on the properties of wood. The library would have lots of resources as would the internet. As you say it is free wood but wasting your time with things that won't work isn't the best way to learn, although it is one way.

You want to think about the strength of wood and the way the grain runs. As Grumpy says the pine will take on moisture like crazy and probably warp over time. Those glue joints may also release at some point because of this movement. Google flat sawn vs quarter sawn. The neck needs to have the correct grain orientation or some sort of reinforcement. Again even if it is free wood the neck will need at the very least a truss rod, which will cost you $$$. I would recommend searching out some sort of wood working course as well. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

10. Layne Matz

Im not too worried about it falling apart, if it does it takes very little time to glue it back together. It may not look sturdy but I think it is. If the wood warps, so be it I'll build another. None of my time goes to waste, I dont even watch TV. If I have to build another im sure ill learn a lot in the process and it eill certainly be better than this one, but this one will be enough for me as long as it works well enough. The neck will have a truss rod obviously, and I'll be adding a fretboard eventually. Im not too sure about the humidity but I know all of it was sitting a dry warehouse for about 3 years, aside form the barnwood. Im not worried, whatever is going to happen will, either way I'll have materials, knowledge and experience to salvage.

11. Layne Matz

20190407_012339-2.jpg Still much to be done with shaping things. Note, there is no fretboard yet- I'll have to glue one on later. Im thinking P90s might be the way to go with this one, with a Vibrola possibly.

Gahr likes this.
  12. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

Why are you putting finish on this .... guitar? You say you have much to do. Finish is the last thing done, no?

This one is a head scratcher on so many different levels.

Regards Peter.

PermissionToLand and Layne Matz like this.
  13. Layne Matz

Staining it took under 10 minutes... I dont have money to spend on this right now- its just not essential. Its a hobby of sorts. I already had the stain. I should have specified. I will need to do much with shaping the neck, headstock and heel. The horns and bevels are done unless I get the urge to modify them. This probably wont be finished and playable until fall or winter at least, staining it makes it more aesthetically pleasing and inspiring to look at but that doesnt constitute a finish. It would be coated in tung oil if it were 'finished'. Its in progress and you seem to get a kick out of undercutting my efforts. I didnt claim to be making anything special, just custom which it will be by definition.

The main things I need to continue are a Truss rod and a fretboard, then fret wire and the accompanying fret tools.

14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see why some folks need to be so obtuse with their comments about this project. I see nothing wrong with it. Apparently some folks just don't get it.

Layne Matz and Worblehat like this.
  15. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with slapping some stuff together and seeing what it sounds like and throwing it right in the trash. The OP's first post had no information regarding his intent, in fact it seemed as though he wanted to build something that would last and look quite nice.

I would say 90 - 95% of threads started in a Luthier's Corner type of forum would want some advice on how to build something better or common practices of woodworking.

You are completely correct in that I do not get it. I'm not sure how I am being obtuse? I have offered some advice on basic woodworking techniques and have asked questions regarding why the OP has done certain things. All in an effort to help. I have made lots of mistakes and have built numerous instruments from scratch and have gained knowledge from many more experienced people on forums just like this.

I am more than happy to sit back and not comment further. Good luck with whatever this will be, as I am still not sure. As long as you are having fun that is all that matters.

Regards Peter.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  16. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

On the contrary I was trying to advise you so that your efforts are not for nothing. If this is an experiment of some sort, like the Jack White video, that is cool. If you are trying to construct something that will function my advice regarding wood and wood working would be of some value. Again I will let you have at it and wish you all the luck with this project.

Regards Peter.

Layne Matz and SG standard like this.
  17. Layne Matz

Hey, I'm no fool and apparently neither are you- I can read between the lines, cant you?

18. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

I'm not really sure what you are saying. What I meant is I do not understand what you are going for? If you want to use free wood that is great but in order for it to stay together it has to be "jointed" and glued well. You also should be somewhat concerned about grain orientation. The body isn't that big of a deal but the neck is very important. Your neck should be glued up 90 degrees to how you currently have it. It's like an I beam. It has to be strong in the direction perpendicular to the string pull. For instance flat sawn boards do not make a good neck but if you re-saw a flat sawn board and turn it 90 degrees then it is quarter sawn and a laminate neck will be infinitely stronger. Like this -
    roughsawn necks.JPG

I did this with my neck through Firebird -
    bodytrimmed04.jpg
    I used a 5 piece laminate and notice the grain patterns run almost straight up and down. That is quarter sawn and it is very strong. I also added carbon fibre rods but mainly because I did a scarf joint in the neck close to the headstock.

As I said there is nothing wrong with experimentation but there are just some things that are indisputable. I was trying to give you some tips. That is all.

You could use that pallet wood and create a guitar that would be hard to tell the difference from mahogany, if painted a solid colour. It could also be just as strong but you would have to build it in a manner than makes it as strong as possible.

Regards Peter.

19. Layne Matz

Im not very experienced and very little money, but I have curiosity and dedication- that goes a long way. I wont settle for something I don't like, but I dont expect things to be immaculate. I enjoy things that are abstract or surreal most of the time. Thanks for the supportive words!

Silvertone and cerebral gasket like this.
  20. Layne Matz

You have certainly provided me with much useful information advice, i do appreciate that and I make note of it but I do not care for your approach. Its hard to tell someones tone and meaning sometimes over a text format, but it seemed like you were talking it down. It is what it is, if i encounter problems I will address them but Im goi g to work with what I have for now. Im 19, this is the first guitar I'm building from the body up. Im not worried about it being traditional or perfect. As to the durability, I have the utmost confidence that it wont fall apart bit as noted, any issues eill be addressed and I'll get to learn from them and experience them intimately. Pardon my typos, big thumbs... Small keyboard.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019