Cutting Pickguards

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by shaggles, Jul 23, 2008.

1. shaggles

shaggles New Member

What do you use to cut a pickguard? I'm thinking of John Cippollina's SG and wondering how he cut all those extra little pieces.

2. kleinmeiner

kleinmeiner New Member

Damn good question, but unforunately no answer... :-\

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

4. kleinmeiner

kleinmeiner New Member

Unfortunately he doesn't mention how he cut the pickguard...

5. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

I believe you can use what is called a laminate trimmer...
    which is like a mini-router. You get an angled bit and probably
    would need a template to run the the little wheel on the bit
    around as free hand is difficult to control.

6. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

You have to make templates of all the separate pieces (MDF works well for this), trace the shape onto a piece of pickguard material, roughly cut it out, stick it onto the template (top side up) with double-stick tape, rout around the perimeter with a straight bit with bearing, rout around it with an angled bit, drill screwholes and countersink those. That's it, if you take your time the results should be good.

7. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

To put you all out of your misery...
    I cut ply templates for the pickguards, making sure they were correct shape and sanding the edges so they were nice and smooth. This can be done with a Dremel inverted in a table and using the small sanding drum.
    The pickguards were roughly sawn to shape with a jewellers saw and attached to the ply templates with double sided tape. The closer you can saw it to finished size the better.
    I used a 1/4" shank bearing guided chamfer cutter mounted in a laminate trimmer which was screwed to a ply "table" with a clearance hole for the cutter and this was then attached to a Workmate. The pickguard is of course face down on the table so make sure it's clean and wont scratch.
    I adjusted the cutting height of the trimmer so that only the 2mm thick plastic sheet would be cut and then carefully guided the templates around the cutter. The cutter has a tendency to snatch if you're too heavy handed so only take a little bite. :)