Damaging to leave an amp on when not in use?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by living room rocker, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I refer you to post #19:
    "No energy is involved in making a voltage."
    I'm glad you now agree that energy is used to generate a voltage, now you need to see that energy is still being used to power the generator, whether or not your amplifier is turned on!

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    You still trying to spin this? No energy is involved in making a voltage. Energy is involved in charging a capacitance. Energy is involved in overcoming friction. Please understand the difference.

3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

No spin, mainly the work of others including Mr Faraday! I guess you've read none of the links I posted that explain how voltage is produced!
    Seems you would be a rich man if you sold your formula to the power companies. They would love to generate power without using fuel!

4. donepearce

You are starting to get annoying now. You are deliberately arguing against a position I am not proposing. I've already said that power production involves losses that require energy to generate the voltage.

Let's try an analogy: Disneyland are offering free entry for a day, and you decide to take them up on it. But it costs you $100 to travel to LA. Are you going to sue Disney for failing to give you free entry? Of course not. Entry was free as promised. That $100 is your problem and completely divorced from the entry. Energy-free voltage is that free entry. The energy you expend getting it is the same as your travel cost. It has nothing to do with the voltage. It is all about the way you arrive at it.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

That's a start! That energy is required to create a voltage!

Is this one of those hood/bonnet, trunk/boot English differences, where the same words mean different things across the Atlantic?
    (In your Disneyland scenario, there is no free ticket realized without work being done to get there, just like no voltage generated without energy moving the generator!)
    (I think that's why the electric company bills us for the electricity we use.)

6. donepearce

OK. That's it. I've had enough of your strawman techniques. No more conversation.

7. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

OP. I have a 7 year old with special needs. He likes switches and dials. I also work in the home studio around the rest of the family, and recording using loadboxes silently. Between my son (I forget to lock the door) and my old age memory I leave the Rockerverb or Mark on overnight 2-3 times a month. This has been the same with any amp I have had in the last 5 years really. None have had issues. All seem to do fine.

8. donepearce

Leaving amps on overnight is not an instant damage thing. It just shortens the lifetime of several key components. Just don't ever put covers on your amps. Leaving a covered amp on overnight pretty much guarantees a major meltdown and probable fire.

living room rocker likes this.
  9. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I can see that ... I leave most everything out as I play off an on all the time I am home.

[​IMG]

donepearce likes this.