Dealing with 495 mini humbuckers MOD

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Les537, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Just to provide some data, I don't know if my SG has a PCB or not. The volume and tone controls work better than any other guitar I own. Other than the assembly error and interference mentioned earlier that was binding the PCB (which could have bound against a push/pull pot similarly), I'm at a loss as to why a PCB would be functionally inferior? Is there a trend of PCB failures?

2. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

For me failure was not the issue, I swapped out the pickups of the guitar I have that had a PCB attached to the pots and switch and wanted to have easier access to doing this and did not wish to spend more time than I needed to dealing with a silly PCB board in a place that makes no sense to me. It is too easy to just wire it conventionally and have a control cavity with easier access. For those who will never look to see whats under that cover, no it may not ever matter, until you have a pot or a switch go bad and you guitar tech will probably want to do the same thing. As a matter of fact I have for sale a perfectly good PCB board for sale 50$ starting bid :lol:.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I didn't realize the PCB wasn't serviceable. I do swap caps, pots, and pups. I may want to swap some P90's for the mini's sometime and will consider refitting a conventional harness.

4. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

I'm not saying it can't be, I just did not want to deal with it and then still have it in there. No biggie either way.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

I like the quick connect feature of the circuit board. If I feel like swapping pickups, no soldering. I have screw adapters for pickups without connectors.

You remind me, I need to find those Wima tone caps I bought and replace the ceramics on the circuit boards I have.

Tom

Huntroll and Dale like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with the ceramic caps on the board?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

Ceramic caps are notorious for wide tolerance. I suppose in a guitar that doesn’t matter much.

Tom

8. FLAMENCO961

FLAMENCO961 New Member

View attachment 30682 [/QUOTE]
    I have an 2016 sg special with the same firebird pickups, and I was thinking about doing exactly the same you did, but I thought I would have to buy another set of Hot mini hums with four conductors to do it. Did you do this with the stock pickups? Are they four conductors? I think my pickups are two conductors but are the same as yours and know I am not shure about it, please I would be very thankfull if you help me with this doubt.[/QUOTE]

9. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Hum. I have a 2018 special. Mine seem to be high output as well. I have them screwed down as low as I can go with them. I am a roll back the volume and tone to 1/2 or so and set an amp up from there. I switch back and forth between guitars, usually buckers, but not always. Pickups are of various outputs, volume etc. This allows the movement between them without having to do much, if anything to the amp when I do so.

I don't care about PCB or not, personally I do like the quick disconnects. I don't like that the way it was done put the cable in contact with the control cover, and I put a spacer in to address that on mine. The pickups seems to work well for me.

I get a workable clean tone that I like. Yes, I had the wrong year named in the video. Here is the video and soundclick if it helps.

http://sclk.co/r/s8930x

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    FLAMENCO961 and papagayo like this.
  10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Adjustable Mini-Humbuckers are my favorite

Image temp 5597.jpg

dub-setter and Dale like this.
  11. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I was under the impression that the mini's in the SGs are not the same as what come in the Firebird V. I have a 2014 Firebird and the Mini's sound pretty awesome. They will bark if given the opportunity but also have a great clean tone. Has Gibson ever given the mini humbuckers a distinguishing name or model number or are they all just mini humbuckers?

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

My 2018 is reading 16.3 and 16.4.

I’m getting good cleans on a tube Marshall and dirt with the volume up.

PCB or PB&J or whatever, I like her just the way she is.

I still have a 2017 standard I haven’t taken the cover off of to see if it has a PCB, but I think she is into S&M, cuz she got some spankin’ tone....

EF334BC4-42C5-4B8A-85E9-E69AC282F5AF.gif

Dale likes this.
  13. FLAMENCO961

FLAMENCO961 New Member

There are kinds of minis Just as you have kinds of humbuckers or singles, the traditional minis are lower output than 495r and t, wich are very Hot

Dale likes this.
  14. FLAMENCO961

FLAMENCO961 New Member

Excelent post bro! I got a big question, were those pickups 4 conductor stock or were them single conductor and you modified them? I want to do exactly the same to my 2016 special with 495 minis, so this post is what I have been praying for haha

Dale likes this.
  15. FLAMENCO961

FLAMENCO961 New Member

I also love the sound of her, but I noticed when I wanted to play some funky stuff and whatnot the pickups are way too hot, and as my go to guitar for gigs and recording I need a lot of versatility from her

Dale likes this.
  16. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I just use the cord in the jack method to test output. I found ... 15.9 neck and 24.8 bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Has anyone listened to mini-humbuckers in single coil mode ?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Dale likes this.
  18. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Speaking of P-90s, anybody here ever try a Harmonic Design VP-90? Wow!

19. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

The HD z90 I had seems pretty even and hifi relative to a traditional p90.

20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Very interesting, all this...
    Thanks for posting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Huntroll and cerebral gasket like this.