Deary Me oh my

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by eS.G., Dec 18, 2014.

1. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

GibsonKramer and milesdeem like this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

You test that thing out yet ?????. Looks like a dirt pedal candidate.

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

NO I got other dirt amps lol.....this is a friggin JAZZ machine dial in a little reverb and the two big 12's chorus up nicely with depth that goes on for miles.....but the pots are scratchy and she needs a real (REAL) good clean down.....the 2nd channel has a BAD hiss pop crackle in the knobs (I assume it was never used) I tried to record it with my phone but it comes out like crap and is NOT a good representation of the tone that ooozes from this thing.
    The whole thing has a low hissssss (puts "ants" on me) and some ASSHAT ripped the ground prong off the plug (probably contributing to hiss maybe???) but oh the depth its like I am playing Albert Hall.....in my little spare room........
    I have been tasked with selling it for a friend----however I may sell off some other stuff and keep it---- it ticks damn near all the boxes I am waiting on my son to get home with his iPhone (better camera) to get some pics. Till then....back to playing !!

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Cool.

eS.G. likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Some pics......sorry will get more----dying to open this thing up and SEE whats inside....could be dust and bugs from the 70's OR Jimmy Hoffa!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

milesdeem and Zagnut like this.
  6. Zagnut

Zagnut Active Member

You just have to keep it eS.G.! That thing's been looking for someone to appreciate it for 40 years and I think its found that someone. :hmm: All of my amps are pretty mainstream, but I've always dug the unusual stuff and that one fits that description to me. If it sounds good ...

Kerry Brown and JohnnyGoo like this.
  7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yes amps amps and more amps!:applause:

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well, damn......I opened it up (FYI ALL static pop and crack GONE just cleaning all the pots with proper lube/cleaner) and I swear the back has NEVER been off this thing it stilled smelled like 1970 and the pink fiberglass insulation is even PRISTINE!
    Time travel now with me folks back to 1970!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was NO dust inside NONE and the back is held on with 20 screws.....twenty....just for the back plate which is also pink insulated and has metal tape and I mean just WOW what quality. This may have a ton of trouble leaving my ever tightening grasp.

Dave Johnson, Voxman and JohnnyGoo like this.
  9. Molly

Molly Active Member

Love the drill in the living room. Looks like my place.

Cool amp. :thumb:

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Thats my Office/Music/gym/guest/spare/junk (temporarily till warmer weather outside) pet hamster room Molly we have a floor buffer and a million dogs in the living room.....broken down ford truck with a bucket under it to catch tranny flood in the front yard too...... if that ain't country, it'll hair lip the Pope.............
    Proper Rednecks ya know. ;)

11. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

DEMO!!!!!
    love that amp man

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  12. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Cool stuff! The old Polytone Brute amps were...well...BRUTES, so I guess they were aptly named.

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about these amps???? Just curious as I can find almost ZEERO online info......there is a website I emailed and left a voice mail----no responses to either---
    I am floored with quality of this thing......from what I can figure its an early 70's model.
    Build quality is that of a tank....I mean the tolex on this thing isn't even ....well damaged!
    A bit o Armour All and its like new..... talk about a well kept secret.

14. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Some of the components like caps and such will have dates stamped on them. Transformers too. That will give you a "ballpark" date of your amp. And some amp builders will stamp the chassis as well. But checking the components often is the easier to do as you can see them without dis-assembly of the amp to look at the chassis. Usually the components are of the year of manfucture of the amp or often one year older as they work their way into assembly.

Voxman and eS.G. like this.
  15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You got the jazz amp guys used all the time back in the day. Cool!

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

It is....thank you Sir.....it is very cool Like I should be smoking menthols and wearing sunglasses at night while playing it ;)

Just oozes cool, like Steve McQueen lol

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

HELP---question-- PARDON MY IGNORANCE, but can somebody tell me (since the current Polytone company has returned neither email nor voicemail) what and or why is the meaning and use for the "reverse" setting.

The power switch is a 3 way center is off.....up is ON and down is "reverse" WTF?!?!
    I have never seen an amp with a reverse gear!!!!!!!!!!

I am afraid to use it.........

Any ideas.

18. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I had an old 60's Yamaha amp that had a similar switch. You will get less hum with the switch in one of the positions. Not sure what it does but if it reverses the AC leads it could be rather dangerous.

eS.G. likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Often some amp manufactures would install this switching device to alter polarity to eliminate grounding issues that created hum. Actually quite clever as not all wall wiring is correct or alike. Remember in the old days with two bladed plugs? When something would hum, we'd pull the plug and flip it over and the hum would go away.

But the real reason???:hmm::dunno::dunno:

They had two engineers at their plant that said "Hey. Wonder if we put this switch in this amp that some yahoo later on in time will ask what it's for?" The other engineer replied "Yeah, that's a great idea! When this yahoo asks about it in some form of social media in the future he's gonna feel real dumb huh?" Flash to the present and the two retired engineers today "Hey, remember when we put that switch in that amp and talked about some guy on a social media thing?" The other looks up and says "Yeah, Ralph, I sure do. But right now I feel pretty stupid as we thought that a switch would be great fun. Why the hell didn't WE invent that social media?!! Who's the yahoos now? Big joke Ralph. No go and change your Depends. I can smell something and it ain't coming from the kitchen at this rest home bud!":laugh2:

eS.G. likes this.
  20. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

The reasoning is that one leg(wire) of 2 wire ac power is "hot" while the other is neutral. Neutral is tied to ground at the power plant. If your plug or outlet was wired opposite then the chassis of the amp did not have a correct "chassis ground" and would hum. The guitar would also be referenced to "hot" so that if you touched earth ground the current would pass through you causing an electric shock.

Modern 3 wiring has a separate ground reference that prevents this as long as a good ground to chassis connection exists. One can check the integrity of the amp wiring using a multimeter set to ohms. Touch one lead to the ground pin of the amp plug and the other to the chassis of the amp. It should read less than one quarter ohm (250 milliohms) to be safe.

eS.G. likes this.