Differences in horns on SGs. 2 Standards and a Special

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dale, May 14, 2019.

1. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I thought I might add to the fire in this area. I like SGs but do have a preference for my 2014 Standard`s appearance. I have a 2017 and 2014 Standard. I have a 2018 Special.

The horn shape on the Special and 2014 Standard are very similar. The 2017 horns are less carved. The neck join on the 2017 and Special are similar with the 2014 being more like a 61.

Specs 2017 Standard T
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/SG-Standard.aspx

Specs 2014 Standard
    http://espanol.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/SG-Standard.aspx

Specs 2018 Special
    http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/SG-Special-2018.aspx

Special top.

[​IMG]

Standards top.

[​IMG]

All 3 horn edge and neck join.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

My personal favorite...

[​IMG]

bwotw, cerebral gasket and Dale like this.
  3. Robus

Robus Active Member

On the horns of a dilemma.

Dale likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Horn of Plenty...

[​IMG]

Two Classics and a Standard makes one happy. :smile:

5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

6. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I have a few 2017 SGs... it was a weird year for horns (some 2018's also). A lot of them have as what's been referred to as the "chisel" tip, where the inside and outside cut on the horn flare outwards at the tip :( . Both my 2017 Standards are like this. You can see this in the line up of my reds, the 2017 is the one in front. But the 2017 Special (3rd one down) and GCJR are nice and pointy. :smile:

[​IMG]

Another 2017 Standard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

call out the "Bunco Squall"

Dale likes this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I have the same preference for deeper cut bevels around the horns. I also have a '14 Standard, and really like the carve they did that year.

2017 & 2016 were unusual in that Gibson had two complete ranges - Traditional & High Performance. In all their publicity photos and in all the models I've seen, the HP had deeper cut horns than the T. I've never worked out why, but it was obviously intentional, and exposed the myth that it's all down to hand carving. That may be a factor too, but it's far from the whole story.

The photo that surprises me is the one of the rear of your white 2017 - many SGs seem to have no bevelling on the reverse of the lower horn - but on this one it's quite pronounced. Even with the chisel tip... Is your cherry 2017 the same on the reverse?

BTW, as always - great collect you're got there - and that's just the cherry ones! :cool:

Lunacy the Faded, Dale and arcticsg like this.
  9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Thanks man! :smile:

Yeah, both the 2017 and 2018 cherry Standards seem to have that deep cut on the back even though the sides are wide.

Now if only the cuts in the front were as deep... ;)

2017 Standard

[​IMG]

2018 Standard

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Dale and SG standard like this.
  10. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Those 2017-2018 actually have the usual SG Standard (the one with the big pickuard) body but they put on a small pickuard. The neck joint and the knob location is also like the older Standards, as opposed to the 61RI or the new 2019s

There was a lenghty thread on here called 'Show me you bevels' or somethin like that and it had a lot of pictures of the variations of the SG horns thrououht the years, it was pretty cool.

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

The one thing I noticed on my 17' and 18' standards was they had a much shallower neck angle than those of recent times. I don't know the reason or the purpose other than the bridge would sit much closer to the body once action was set.

12. cerebral gasket

Do those with the shallow neck angle not fit in the hard shell case properly having excess space behind the neck joint?

Sometimes the padding inside the case might not form to the guitar as well as it should.

koaguilds likes this.
  13. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Yes they fit a bit wonky. The back padding and the neck rests should have been adjusted to the different neck angle.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. cerebral gasket

I experienced the same thing with my Standard as well. I put a folded cloth inside the case to help fill the void so that it fits a little better. I'm thinking when they build the cases, they are a generic fit and don't adjust the foam for each guitar that gets assigned to it.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, I even included that in the wiki pages, it's undeniable that they have different beveling. Just like the Standard and '61 RI used to. The HP Standard kind of replaced the '61 RI in a loose sense.

It used to be hand carving, but they became very consistent since as early as 1970, even. At some point, they started cutting the basic beveling by machine and only doing the final sanding by hand. So there is no doubt that they literally have a different specification set between the T and HP beveling.

As for the rear bevels, the original '60s SGs actually had none on the back of the treble horn, and by the end of the decade had none on the back of either horn. So you'll see '61 RIs and Historics with only a small bevel on the back of the bass horn. With the 1980 redesign of the Standard, they put small bevels on both horns, which grew to a medium depth with the 1991 redesign and it has stayed that way with every model that uses that body design. The '16 and '17s were based on the old Standard so they had it, but 2013-2015 Standards don't because they use the '61 RI body.

16. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I love it. It seems a better design. I didn't have case issues that I see.

17. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Your 2014 Std is like the 2013 SG Std and the 2015 SG Std , '61 body style.

My 2015 ,

SG Standard TBK 100.jpg

18. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

20xx SG Standard vs 2017 SG Standard

Same body design and same body-neck joint , different pickguard

Image temp 5603.jpg

Gary Clark Jr Gibson SG has a '61 shape

Image temp 5604.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019