Digital Patch Services?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Jul 8, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I'm part of a Facebook group for the Boss Nextone amps. I joined to find out about them when they were new. Now that there's been a software upgrade you can save and share patches for the editing software.

I have been playing around with some settings and I've shared the patches with the group. Another member posted a video today where he showed off a couple settings he'd come up with to mimic some classic amps. I asked him if he'd share the patch and he directed me to his website, where they're for sale.

I was confused, do people actually pay for amp settings? I had never encountered this before and I was sort of impressed that he could make a living doing this (apparently his full time job).

But I'm still confused, why would someone pay for something you can easily do yourself? Why would you buy a product with the flexibility of being able to program the sounds yourself and then pay for someone else's sounds?

I'm just curious (and I'm certainly not thinking of quitting my day job), but has anyone else encountered this? Would anyone pay for such a service?

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Have not encountered and would not pay.

plankton likes this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

There was a website that offered free downloads of patches and presets. I've downloaded tons of presets for every programmable effects and modeling amps I've owned. I burned them to CDs. I just can't find the damn site. I'll keep looking.

Edit
    Nah. The website got old:
    https://guitarpatches.com

plankton likes this.
  4. plankton

A website that shares free patches makes sense to me. That's pretty much what I've been doing with the FB group.

I'd just never considered that people would pay for something like that, but I find myself increasingly baffled by the world as I get older, so I just wanted to see if anyone else thought them same.

5. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I have been big into L6 stuff in the past. There was always a group that had sold patches. I would guess that is the case for many of these products. Especially those that have more complex aspects available to develop them.

plankton likes this.
  6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

The problem I've been having is as the years pass, many sites become outdated or close. I have a large collection of effect software. The patches are fun to play with. I always created a patch called "Me": delay, distortion, and globs of stadium reverb. I should have called it Rock G-d.

Dale likes this.
  7. plankton

That makes sense, the Nextone is the first bit of gear I've owned that had any sort of programming involved, and it's not very complex, a few different EQs and other parameters that are similar to the knobs on the analogue gear I've used for years.

Dale likes this.